Chocolate Marshmallow Bars (Bookmarked Recipes)

We had some friends over and I wanted to make some yummy treats. I’ve been in a big cookie and brownie/bars kick lately. This recipe has been bookmarked in my Google Reader for quite some time. (Hence the Bookmarked Recipes entry). Let me just tell you, these are AMAZING. One of our friends thought they tasted better cold, but everyone else agreed they were best at room temperature. They have a great combination of crunchy rice-krispie-treat-like topping, chewy-gooey marshmallow center and a tender brownie bottom. Oh and there’s peanut butter in one of those layers, so you get the amazing combination of chocolate and peanut butter. These are seriously amazing. You should go make some right now. I might go make some after seeing the recipe again…

Chocolate Marshmallow Bars – from yum
4 cups miniature marshmallows

Topping:
1-1/3 cup chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp butter
2 cups crisp rice cereal

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9x 13 pan. I used a 8×8 pan so they’d be thicker and have distinct layers.

Bake at 350F for 18-25 minutes or until middle is set. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake; return to oven for 2-3 minutes. Using a knife dipped in water, spread the melted marshmallows evenly over cake. Cool.

For topping, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and well blended. Remove from heat; stir in cereal. Immediately spread over bars. Chill.

I am submitting this to Bookmarked Recipes. Check it out.

14 Responses to “Peppermint Patty Cookies”

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I love frozen Thin Mints so I totally get why these are good frozen! Looks fantastic!

Megan — February 3, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Ooh… I love the sound of these. If I don’t end up making them soon, I definitely will keep them in mind for Christmas cookies!

Evan — February 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Just when I thought there wasn’t another way to enjoy a peppermint patty, you post this. Love it! They’re definitely one of my favorite candies.

Kathy Day — February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I MADE HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT PATTIES WHEN I WAS LITTLE, THEY WERE A CHRISTMAS TRADITION! I REFUSE TO DO IT ANYMORE THOUGH, THE PATTIES ALWAYS FELL APART ON ME WHEN I DIPPED THEM.

THESE COOKIES LOOK DELICIOUS. I WOULD TOTALLY BE ON BOARD WITH THAT 😀

Amy (SingForYourSupper) — February 3, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Oh YUMMY! I must make these ASAP!

Jennifer — February 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm

These sound AWESOME! I love peppermint patty’s.

Hezzi-D — February 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh yum! Peppermint Patties are my mom’s absolute favorite! I am totally making these next time I go hojme-they even look like giant patties!

Just My Delicious — February 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

these cookies looks so tasty! I`d like to have some in front of me 🙂

Blog is the New BLack — February 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

THese look AMAZING! My bf would totally love these! 🙂

Bertha — February 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

I just wanted to say that I’ve been a silent reader for a long time and you are my go to source whenever I need an impressive dessert for a party or just when I’m craving something sweet. Every single recipe has turned out amazing! Thank you!

Amanda L. — February 4, 2011 at 1:55 am

These look great! My high school vice principal loved peppermint patties! heh

Cara — February 4, 2011 at 3:48 am

mmm what else is in that freezer of yours? I want to come raid it!

Peabody — February 4, 2011 at 8:11 am

I want! Oh my!

Sheila C. — December 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I visited my cousin today and she had made these cookies. She shared them with us and they were the bomb! Be careful because they are highly addictive! Rich but yummy! I will be making them.