I’ll have S’more

What’s in a Cupcake Hero anyways? To me, a Cupcake Hero presents a recipe for either a new combination of flavors or a unique use of a cupcake. When Laurie announced that the theme for March’s Cupcake Hero was Marshmallow, I immediately thought of S’mores. So I decided to aim for using cupcakes in a unique way to make s’mores.

I wanted to make s’mores the same way you would at a campfire, except there are no graham crackers, just graham cupcakes. Personally, I’m a big fan of catching my marshmallow on fire, letting it get all black, then blowing out the flame right before squishing it between my prepared graham crackers. I even stuck with the good old Hershey’s chocolate bar. It’s not the best chocolate out there, but when it comes to s’mores, it’s a key ingredient.

Since I made these into mini-cupcakes, they’re not as messy as real s’mores. You can just pop one into your mouth and eat it in one bite. I went ahead and made some regular s’mores to do a comparison of the taste. I preferred the cupcake version – it was less messy and was easy to eat. Hubby missed the crunchy-ness found in normal s’mores. I will definitely consider making a batch of these cupcakes to take to my next camping trip…

Graham Cupcakes – (from Vanilla Garlic) – makes 12-14
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup of milk1 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/8 teaspoon of salt

Beat the butter for about 30 seconds until well creamed. Add the sugar and mix for 3 minutes using a paddle attachment until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, being sure to beat for 30 seconds for each egg.

Place graham crackers in a food processor or in a plastic bag and beat the crud out of them until it’s been ground into small crumbs and powder.

Sift together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and powder, and salt. Add about 1/4 of the mixture to the butter mixture, then add some of the milk. Continue to add the ingredients in a dry-wet-dry method, ending with the dry. Continue to mix until just combined.

Scoop into cupcake papers and bake for 15-18 minutes in a 350 F oven or until a cake tester comes out clean.
S’mores assembly
I spent a decent amount of time getting the right combination of marshmallow to chocolate to cupcake. This is what we liked, but feel free to play with the combo. For the chocolate bars, I used the mini ones that come in a pack of 8. Not the normal size you’d get for camping, but smaller. I also used big marshmallows, but cut them in half.
Once cupcakes have cooled, cut in 1/2 horizontally.

Place 1 small square of chocolate on the top of the cupcake (use 1 square on the top and bottom if you like it really chocolatey). Heat in microwave for 20 seconds to start the melting of the chocolate.
Cut a large marshmallow in half horizontally (two small marshmallows would probably work perfectly here). Heat your marshmallow. I roasted mine over my gas burner with a fondue stick (the big guy shown here was for one of the trials – the whole marshmallow was too much for me). Once marshmallow is done to your liking, quickly put it onto one 1/2 of the cupcake and make the sandwich.

Stick a toothpick through the entire thing for ease of eating. ENJOY!

12 Responses to “It’s good to be back in the kitchen!! Martha Stewart’s Buttermilk Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream”

Jigginjessica — July 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

These look and sounds great! Also thanks for the link to the cupcake carrier! I’ve been wanting to buy one for awhile now but didn’t like that Wilton’s only held 12.

Cate — July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Those paper cupcake liners are so pretty! I keep seeing recipes from that book and I really want to get myself a copy!
    Do you think you could add a few extra ounces of chocolate to the frosting without messing up the texture?

Erin — July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just posted cupcakes from that book today too! And I also have the Wilton cupcake carrier. Not to thrilled with it either, but I got it because I needed something to carry a huge sheet cake in. I would love a double decker.

Your cupcakes look great, as always! I need to work on my frosting skills. (Hence the reason I posted a recipe that could be frosted in a “rustic” style!)

Jen — July 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – Definitely check out that carrier. Not sure if you guys have a Container Store, but I think BB&B carries it now too.

Cate – I’m not sure if more chocolate would ruin the texture… Possibly. I was underwhelmed when I tasted the frosting by itself, but when it was on the cupcake, it was really good. The subtle flavor paired really well with this cupcake. I just really prefer my chocolate frosting to be really chocolatey!

Erin – Thanks! I’m always try to improve my skills. This was the first time I’ve tried the rosette. I usually pipe from the outside in.

Ingrid — July 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yay, for packages in the mail and new kitchens!

I like how you frosted the cupcakes, very pretty. I haven’t made SMBC yet but I’m gonna soon. Sounds good!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

Jennifer — July 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I need that cupcake carrier!! Thanks for the link to it!! Ive been on the out look for a great one for a while!

These are great cupcakes! Well done!!

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look awesome! What icing tip did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jen — July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I used my trusty old 1M tip for the frosting.

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Scott W. — July 23, 2009 at 12:34 am

The frosting is so delicate looking. Just the way Martha Stewart would like it.

Little Ewe — July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

love the recioes and will definately try them but as i live in the uk please could you give me imperial measures rather than cupa and sticks thanks:)
    Fiona

articia — July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when I make chocolate SMBC I actually use cocoa powder. I think it gives it a stronger chocolate flavor without messing with the texture. Maybe you could try adding some cocoa powder if the melted chocolate doesn’t taste bold enough.

also, I saw those snap n’ stack cupcake carriers at my local Meijer and bought 2. they weren’t cheap so as I was driving home I was deciding if I was going to regret spending nearly $50 on the 2 of them, but I couldn’t be happier with them. they’re come in *so* handy.