Nighttime Friday

Tonight we wrap up Photo Week with Nighttime. Hubby needed to run to the store late tonight so we walked through the park on the way home. We had fun playing with the nighttime setting on the camera. It actually does a really good job of focusing on the nearest object and applying the flash appropriately.

BUT, we had more fun holding the flash down (off) in nighttime mode. This led to a very long shutter speed. We used various sturdy posts and benches to hold the camera steady during the long shutter speeds. With the shutter being open for so long, it captures all the light even if that light it moving. Causes some cool effects. Oh and, I have to give credit where credit is due. Hubby actually took all three of these pictures. I was there to coach him the whole time though 🙂

This is a shot I really wanted to catch. It’s a bit overexposed on the bottom. I think that was because there was an oncoming car that turned the corner towards the end of the shutter being open (it was literally open about 8 seconds). It’s really cold out tonight so we didn’t want to wait for another single car to come by to retake the shot.

This is the park near our house. You may recognize it from previous pictures. Again, we’re holding down the flash on this picture.

Same park again. Recognize that checkers table? Again, no flash for this picture. I love how the lights look in the picture. Click on it to see a bigger version of the pic.

8 Responses to “Great American Taste Test – KFC biscuits”

Stephanie Wagner — September 15, 2009 at 11:26 pm

Looks like these turned out great! I’m surprised they didn’t call for brushing some egg on top of the biscuits before cooking, that might get that top a little crispier…I totally want to make some of these Saturday morning.

Katy ~ — September 16, 2009 at 8:26 am

These look very good to me. I have a favorite biscuit recipe, but want to give these a try because of the buttermilk.

Have been following your blog for a while. Nice blog!

Jen — September 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree Steph. Or maybe just melted butter to give it the color.

tom — September 16, 2009 at 12:51 pm

If you want to compare even more recipes from many of the popular sites, take a look at RecipeComparison.com. Just search for “buttermilk biscuits” and you’ll see all the ingredients nicely laid out in a table with a link to jump directly to each recipe.

Food Lady — March 14, 2013 at 2:07 am

I worked at a KFC in the mid-90s. I had privy to the ingredients lists and methods. The biscuits came frozen and had egg in the dough. We brushed the tops after baking with butter-flavored oil that is commonly used in the restaurant industry. I remember thinking that the egg was unusual; I hadn’t seen many biscuit recipes calling for egg, and I have been baking since I was 8.

Dawn — April 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

kfc.com does not list eggs in their food allergy listing for the biscuits, just an fyi

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I, too, worked at a KFC when I was a teenager. The biscuits were not frozen. It was a bag mix and we mixed it with a large tub of shortening. Then mixed, rolled, cut and baked. We topped with a “liquid butter” substance fresh from the oven. They may make them frozen now, but they didn’t in the early 90’s.

Michelle — April 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oh, and there are NO eggs in the mix. Otherwise, it would be a cake, not a biscuit. That is common baking “science”.