Happy Birthday Cupcake Hero! Lime & Coconut Margarita Cupcakes

Last year, I somehow stumbled upon Laurie’s blog and saw the posting about Cupcake Hero. Of course I had to enter. The first theme was Lime. I made Vegan Margarita cupcakes that didn’t turn out so great. Well they tasted great, but didn’t look so good. They we’re somewhat gummy. I later learned that was from using lowfat soymilk.

Here we are one year later and CH has grown beyond anyone’s expectations! Be sure to check out the new website. I try to enter every month. I even won in July! It totally made my week 🙂

This month, to celebrate the first birthday of CH, the theme is Baker’s Choice. We have to choose two flavors from the past two months and use them both in the cupcake.

There is a place near us that has these amazing coconut & lime margaritas. They’re my absolute favorite. So I wanted to recreate this as a cupcake. AND, I’d have two themes: lime and alcohol. I realize this may not the most creative combination. So I wanted to get creative about how to make the cupcake.

I stumbled upon a recipe for lime meltaways and decided to combine that with the coconut cupcake and put margarita frosting on the top. I spent days contemplating how to make this cookie/cupcake combo… I started with a trial batch to see what worked best. I made 4 cupcakes. One had raw cookie batter on the bottom, one in the middle, one on top, and one with a baked cookie on the bottom (similar to the Oreo cupcakes).

So this is what my test cupcakes looked like when they came out of the oven. I had to taste each one of course to see how well the lime and coconut played together. I was pleasantly surprised that the baked cookie didn’t burn while the cupcake was baking over it. After taste testing my experimental cupcakes, I decided to bake the cookies, then put them under the raw cupcake batter. The cookies that were baked in the cupcakes didn’t bake through and the one on top just looked silly.

For the cookie recipe, see Lime Meltaways post. For the coconut cupcake recipe, check out when I made Pina Colada cupcakes. I went with a really sweet frosting to balance out the tartness of the fresh lime juice in the margarita that I brushed on top. I also needed a non-alcoholic frosting because my 13 year old sister was going to be at the party I was taking them to. I did brush the non-alcoholic ones with a little freshly squeezed lime juice.

Margarita2 parts tequila
2 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
1 part triple sec

Mix. Brush onto cooled cupcakes. Any remaining mixture can be poured over ice for your enjoyment 🙂

Lime Coconut Frosting1 stick of butter
powdered sugar
zest of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 tsp coconut extract
1/4 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
couple drops of vanilla extract

Cream the butter. Add sugar to reach desired consistency. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Add more sugar if consistency is too runny.

16 Responses to “Caramelized Apple Grilled Cheese”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 11, 2010 at 2:33 pm

This looks great! After apple picking last year, I was desperately searching for ways to use the apples in savory ways. Now one of my favorite recipes is a calzone filled with apples, proscuitto, brie and sage. SO good!

The Red Headed Mama — October 11, 2010 at 3:08 pm

My husband used to laugh at me when I told him that as kids we would do apple pie filling and cheese in the hobo pie maker. It was fabulous…I’m going to show him this post to prove that I’m not crazy. We’re apple picking this weekend, so I’ll be sure to try this out!

Melissa — October 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I definitely need to think of some savory ways to use up all of the apples we pick every fall, and stop making sweets! This looks like a great recipe!

Heavenly Housewife — October 11, 2010 at 7:31 pm

What a great apple treat. I’ve got loads of apples this years from my trees and am looking for yummy recipes to use them up. After all, a girl can only eat so much apple sauce LOL.
    *kisses* HH

Cupcake Activist — October 11, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I didn’t realize this was going to be a sweet sandwich. It looks so yummy! I once had a grilled cheese sandwich with thinly sliced apples in the middle and it was delicious!

The Small Boston Kitchen — October 11, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I love what you did with your leftover apples! This looks incredible…love the apple and cheese combinations!

feerlessfood.com — October 12, 2010 at 2:07 am

This recipe looks really tasty! I tried a similar flavor combo, but it was apple, cheddar omelete. I needed as apple with more flavor- the one I used wasn’t tart enough!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:40 am

What a great way to use up apples…yum!

Val — October 12, 2010 at 12:40 pm

This made my mouth water. I have to make this soon.

Boston Food Diary — October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Looks delicious Jen! I love the combination of apples and gouda! After my apple picking adventures I am definitely seeking lots of good apple ideas as well!

Rachel Cannon Humiston — October 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm

This looks like a great comfort food sandwich! I spent yesterday baking apple pies and snacking on cheese and crackers. I snuck in a few apple slices on my cheddar & crackers – yum!

Evan B — October 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Um YES please! ps. everyone in the office loved your brownie recipe- it has totally become my go-to 🙂

Jen — October 12, 2010 at 10:20 pm

I love making grilled cheese with a really great goat’s milk gouda–it’s our new favorite grilled cheese–but I think I’d die and go to heaven if I made it this way! thanks for sharing.

newlywed — October 12, 2010 at 11:30 pm

This looks delicous! I love the combination of apples and cheese. It is great to see a savory apple recipe…I have lots too!

.dear.jenny. — November 25, 2010 at 1:48 am

HUSH! oh my…looks amazing!!

Souffle Bombay (Colleen) — January 6, 2011 at 2:54 pm