Happy Birthday Cupcake Hero! Lime & Coconut Margarita Cupcakes

Last year, I somehow stumbled upon Laurie’s blog and saw the posting about Cupcake Hero. Of course I had to enter. The first theme was Lime. I made Vegan Margarita cupcakes that didn’t turn out so great. Well they tasted great, but didn’t look so good. They we’re somewhat gummy. I later learned that was from using lowfat soymilk.

Here we are one year later and CH has grown beyond anyone’s expectations! Be sure to check out the new website. I try to enter every month. I even won in July! It totally made my week 🙂

This month, to celebrate the first birthday of CH, the theme is Baker’s Choice. We have to choose two flavors from the past two months and use them both in the cupcake.

There is a place near us that has these amazing coconut & lime margaritas. They’re my absolute favorite. So I wanted to recreate this as a cupcake. AND, I’d have two themes: lime and alcohol. I realize this may not the most creative combination. So I wanted to get creative about how to make the cupcake.

I stumbled upon a recipe for lime meltaways and decided to combine that with the coconut cupcake and put margarita frosting on the top. I spent days contemplating how to make this cookie/cupcake combo… I started with a trial batch to see what worked best. I made 4 cupcakes. One had raw cookie batter on the bottom, one in the middle, one on top, and one with a baked cookie on the bottom (similar to the Oreo cupcakes).

So this is what my test cupcakes looked like when they came out of the oven. I had to taste each one of course to see how well the lime and coconut played together. I was pleasantly surprised that the baked cookie didn’t burn while the cupcake was baking over it. After taste testing my experimental cupcakes, I decided to bake the cookies, then put them under the raw cupcake batter. The cookies that were baked in the cupcakes didn’t bake through and the one on top just looked silly.

For the cookie recipe, see Lime Meltaways post. For the coconut cupcake recipe, check out when I made Pina Colada cupcakes. I went with a really sweet frosting to balance out the tartness of the fresh lime juice in the margarita that I brushed on top. I also needed a non-alcoholic frosting because my 13 year old sister was going to be at the party I was taking them to. I did brush the non-alcoholic ones with a little freshly squeezed lime juice.

Margarita2 parts tequila
2 parts freshly squeezed lime juice
1 part triple sec

Mix. Brush onto cooled cupcakes. Any remaining mixture can be poured over ice for your enjoyment 🙂

Lime Coconut Frosting1 stick of butter
powdered sugar
zest of 1/2 lime
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 tsp coconut extract
1/4 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
couple drops of vanilla extract

Cream the butter. Add sugar to reach desired consistency. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Add more sugar if consistency is too runny.

31 Responses to “Raspberry Curd and an Interesting Twist on a Breakfast Sandwich”

Sunshine — April 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Thank God for the weird flavors and for not making em the only weirdo foodie out there. This sounds heavenly, and I can’t wait to try my hand at the curd this weekend.

yumventures — April 21, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I am practically addicted to lemon curd, and since raspberries are by far my favorite berry I would be scared to make this, have so much left over, and pour it over everything I could eat! The breakfast sandwich also looks good, never had sweet with the eggs, but its worth a shot! Would be great with french toast, and I love cream cheese with sweet jam 🙂

Katie — April 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Jen, that curd looks just wonderful! I LOVE raspberry!

hannah! — April 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm

it’s okay to have a weird tastebud. it all matters if you like it (: i think flutternutters are weird in comparison 😛 no offense, people!

Pam — April 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Mmm, this sounds fantastic! I’m so used to curd being citrus – this would be a nice change of pace.

Sarah — April 21, 2010 at 2:21 pm

You’re not the only one! Growing up, when we didn’t have tomato soup with our grilled cheese, there was usually jam spread on it after it was grilled. It’s a weird combo that one of my parents inroduced, but it’s surprisingly good.

Bridget — April 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Ooh, raspberry curd sounds fantastic.

Your sandwich seems like the breakfast version of a monte cristo sandwich, and I really like monte cristos.

mrs. c — April 21, 2010 at 5:26 pm

i have never had raspberry curd and it sounds yummy. I think it would taste great on french toast. i might just have to try this!

Joanne — April 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I actually love egg and jam sandwiches! I think it’s pretty weird…but oh so delicious. that curd looks fantastic! Gorgeous color.

Kelly — April 21, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Wow, this could totally solve my problem with breakfast sandwiches. I just REALLY like sweetness in my breakfast but I want to like breakfast sandwiches because egg is so filling and good for you…I am definitely going to try this!

Kerstin — April 22, 2010 at 4:11 am

I bet the sweet/savory combo is yummy! I’ve never made curd for a cake before but hope to soon – it sounds so delicious and versatile.

Elina — April 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I’ve heard of this combo before and I have to say – it grosses me out and intrigues me at the same time. Maybe I’ll get the guts to try it some day. You do make it sound delicious 🙂

Sook — April 22, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Oh wow, the curd looks so beautiful! The consistency looks perfect!

Kimberly Alexandra — April 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Funny this should come up b/c I just had a ham & egg sandwich last night and I almost always have to add strawberry jam to that! Adding raspberry curd is sure to be just as good.

🙂 Kimberly @ Poor Girl Eats Well

PS – that curd is simply gorgeous!

smellslikehome — April 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

ooo i think i know which cake you’ll be posting soon…if it’s the one i’m thinking of, i have to say, this curd was the best filling i could imagine for that cake. this curd was just awesome (and i’m not a raspberry fan) and yours looks gorgeous!!

ABowlOfMush — April 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Wow that is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen!

whisk-kid — April 23, 2010 at 4:12 am

This certainly sounds like an interesting combination. I suppose it’s similar to a monte cristo, no? I’d love to give it a try!

A Cup Full of Cake — April 23, 2010 at 5:23 am

I saw this recipe yesterday and immediately printed it. I made Vanilla raspberry cupcakes for a friend’s birthday and wanted to make them a little extra special. This curd is amazing. Its a little thinner than lemon curd but that was perfect for what I wanted. I didn’t want that thicker consistency. I will link to your blog when I post the cupcakes with pics and recipes to mine!
    Shanna

ButterYum — April 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I believe you when you say it tastes great with eggs. I’m not a ketchup fan, but I do like it on scrambled eggs – completely changes the flavor of both!

I’m surprised your curd didn’t thicken after being chilled.

Btw, tell you hubby that it’s true cheese and jelly seem like a strange combo, but well prepared cheese platters always include fruit selections (pears, grapes, etc) – they compliment one another beautifully.

🙂
    ButterYum

NikiTheo — April 23, 2010 at 1:06 pm

(1) Raspberry curd rocks, but I’ve never had a recipe for it, so thank you!
    (2) Berries are gerat on savory dishes! Every had a berry sauce on grilled rare venison meat? YUM!!!!
    (3) When I make over easy eggs, I always use toast covered in butter and raspberry preserves to sop up the yolk. So good!!!
    So you are in good company my dear!

Jen — April 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only “weirdo” that likes the jam/egg/cheese combo.

I’m also surprised it didn’t thicken up more. Even this morning, it was still the same consistency and it’s been in the fridge since I made it.

doreeen sia — April 23, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

A Cup Full of Cake — April 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Your raspberry curd recipe is amazing!! I made it and used it for some cupcakes. I credited and linked to your blog in my blog! Thanks for an awesome recipe
    Shanna

Joudie's Mood Food — August 7, 2010 at 9:40 pm

This certainly looks addictive, and the colour is just DIVINE! Will have to try it ….. Am curioius to see what it tastes like with egg..

Kelly — March 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I don’t know if I’m brave enough to try this one on an egg sandwich, but I did pin it 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 18th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Thanks for the pin! I hope you try it some time.

Courtney — March 29, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Jen, are the amounts above written the way that you made it (doubled)? Can’t wait to try it!

• beantownbaker — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:36 am

I’ve never doubled this recipe before, but I don’t see why you couldn’t. Let me know how it works out for you.

Nicole — May 10, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I have been searching for a recipe just like this for a cake filling! Thank you so much 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 12th, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Glad to help! I hope you enjoy it 🙂

Stacey — May 19, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Is it possible to make this without the added sugar? I’m trying to find recipes that are good for a cancer diet. Thanks