Frito cupcakes?!?

Be sure to check out my updated version of the Frito Cupcake!

Another month, another cupcake hero theme. This month’s theme is cocoa powder with brownie points for anyone who uses Askinosie. I did recently upgrade from Hershey’s cocoa powder to Ghirardelli. I can definitely taste a difference between those two cocoa powders, so I’m sure if I upgrade even further, things will just keep getting better.

Anyways, back to the cupcakes. I present to you Frito Cupcakes. I’m sure you’re thinking “Frito what?!?” You heard me right, Frito Cupcakes. These little guys were inspired by Frito candy which has made me famous in our beer pong league. It’s the perfect combination of salty and sweet, chewy and crunchy. And, there’s just something about Frito’s. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who didn’t love Frito’s. They have such a distinct flavor and crunch that makes them perfect for scooping up your favorite dip or salsa.
I’m still very new to making up my own recipes for baked goods. For cooking, I do it all the time. I just throw things in, taste and go from there. Baking is more scientific, so I usually bake a tiny batch of something, make adjustments and try again. Luckily with these guys, I loved how the first tiny batch came out. The other thing I struggle with is the measurements. I’m constantly just adding a little of this or that so it’s hard to write out recipes. I don’t know how people do it…

Frito Cupcakes – by ME! (Cupcake recipe from Laurie, Frosting recipe from I Like Cake) – this should make about 24 mini cupcakes
1 cup pretzels
1/2 cup Fritos
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups unbleached white flour
1/6 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (=8 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 375.

Crush pretzels and Fritos. You can use a food processor to chop, or just throw them in a ziploc bag and crush with your hands or a meat tenderizer. Put about a teaspoon of the crushed mixture into the bottom of the mini cupcake pan (I didn’t use liners).

Place butter in a non-stick saucepan and melt over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in brown sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring once or twice. Pour over Frito mixture and bake for ~4 minutes.

Now, mix up the cupcake batter:
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk.

When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and the vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.

Working quickly, distribute the batter into the cupcake pan.

Bake for 10-14 minutes. Set the cupcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

For the PB Frito frosting
1 stick butter, room temperature (1/2 cup)
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
Crushed Fritos

Beat the softened butter until creamy, then start adding the sugar and milk, alternately.

Mix in peanut butter. Mix in more or less Peanut Butter to fit your tastes.

Mix crushed Fritos into PB frosting until your desired chunkiness and flavor is reached. I did about a 1:1 frosting to Fritos ratio.

18 Responses to “Double Cookie Dough Ice Cream”

steph@stephsbitebybite — June 24, 2013 at 7:36 am

Oh my word!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 24, 2013 at 7:58 am

Pass me a spoon! This sounds amazing, Jen!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 24, 2013 at 8:23 am

I need this ice cream right now!

Sues — June 24, 2013 at 11:28 am

I absolutely love cookie dough ice cream and this looks like a fabulous one! I love your bowls, too 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 3:47 pm

Thanks! They’re from Pier 1.

Katie B. — June 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Wow… I’m not a cookie dough ice cream fan for the same reason, but this is amazing. How much do you think the coconut milk plays in the flavor?

• beantownbaker — June 24th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

I personally don’t find coconut milk very coconuty. I know some people do. I think you could use the cow’s milk varieties in the recipe and it would taste similar. I just have to use the coconut milk since i can’t eat cow’s milk.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 27, 2013 at 9:35 am

I love this! Ice cream has to be my favorite dessert, this looks amazing 🙂

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — June 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I made this recipe from Tracey a couple of weeks ago too (I haven’t post about it yet) – so good!!!

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Isn’t it? It’s definitely one of my favorite ice cream recipes to date!

Elizabeth @ SugarHero.com — June 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

This sounds delicious! I’m with you–regular cookie dough ice cream is a snooze. (Unless I’m sharing a pint with someone who doesn’t mind if I go through and pick out all the goodies–but let’s be real–everyone minds!) I’ll have to try this variation–it sounds like the perfect solution!

• beantownbaker — June 28th, 2013 @ 7:17 am

I agree completely – everyone does mind!

Parrish (Life With The Crust Cut Off) — July 1, 2013 at 10:58 am

This looks amazing!!! We would love it if you would link up at our We Scream For Ice Cream linky party/giveaway:
    Live the whole month of July.
    Hosted by:
    http://www.lifewiththecrustcutoff.com/ Parrish @ Life with the Crust Cut Off
    http://thissillygirlslife.com/ Dana @ This Silly Girl’s Life
    We hope to see you there!

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Thanks for the link!

Melissa — July 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

Cookie dough ice cream is my favorite and this recipe makes me want to buy an ice cream maker immediately! Which kind do you recommend?

• beantownbaker — July 6th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

I have the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. If you don’t have a Kitchenaid mixer, I’ve heard good things about the Cuisinart ice cream maker.

Kristen — March 30, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never made cookie dough ice cream but am wanting to try this one. Is there a way to substitute the egg yolks or leave it out?

Thanks!

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

I would assume you could find a Philadelphia style ice cream recipe to use as the base with some brown sugar in it to give it more of a cookie dough taste. I wouldn’t recommend just leaving them out of this specific recipe though.