Frito cupcakes?!?

Be sure to check out my updated version of the Frito Cupcake!

Another month, another cupcake hero theme. This month’s theme is cocoa powder with brownie points for anyone who uses Askinosie. I did recently upgrade from Hershey’s cocoa powder to Ghirardelli. I can definitely taste a difference between those two cocoa powders, so I’m sure if I upgrade even further, things will just keep getting better.

Anyways, back to the cupcakes. I present to you Frito Cupcakes. I’m sure you’re thinking “Frito what?!?” You heard me right, Frito Cupcakes. These little guys were inspired by Frito candy which has made me famous in our beer pong league. It’s the perfect combination of salty and sweet, chewy and crunchy. And, there’s just something about Frito’s. I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who didn’t love Frito’s. They have such a distinct flavor and crunch that makes them perfect for scooping up your favorite dip or salsa.
I’m still very new to making up my own recipes for baked goods. For cooking, I do it all the time. I just throw things in, taste and go from there. Baking is more scientific, so I usually bake a tiny batch of something, make adjustments and try again. Luckily with these guys, I loved how the first tiny batch came out. The other thing I struggle with is the measurements. I’m constantly just adding a little of this or that so it’s hard to write out recipes. I don’t know how people do it…

Frito Cupcakes – by ME! (Cupcake recipe from Laurie, Frosting recipe from I Like Cake) – this should make about 24 mini cupcakes
1 cup pretzels
1/2 cup Fritos
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups unbleached white flour
1/6 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (=8 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cold water
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoons vinegar

Preheat oven to 375.

Crush pretzels and Fritos. You can use a food processor to chop, or just throw them in a ziploc bag and crush with your hands or a meat tenderizer. Put about a teaspoon of the crushed mixture into the bottom of the mini cupcake pan (I didn’t use liners).

Place butter in a non-stick saucepan and melt over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in brown sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring once or twice. Pour over Frito mixture and bake for ~4 minutes.

Now, mix up the cupcake batter:
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk.

When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly. There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and the vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.

Working quickly, distribute the batter into the cupcake pan.

Bake for 10-14 minutes. Set the cupcakes on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool in pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

For the PB Frito frosting
1 stick butter, room temperature (1/2 cup)
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
Crushed Fritos

Beat the softened butter until creamy, then start adding the sugar and milk, alternately.

Mix in peanut butter. Mix in more or less Peanut Butter to fit your tastes.

Mix crushed Fritos into PB frosting until your desired chunkiness and flavor is reached. I did about a 1:1 frosting to Fritos ratio.

14 Responses to “Spring M&M Pretzel Treats”

Sarah — April 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I love this simple recipe, and it will be a great idea for my sister-in-law’s bridal shower (both she and her fiance have M names). You mention in your other posts about using a squeeze bottle – is this any particular type of squeeze bottle? I’m not sure how to find one that would work for this purpose. What do you use? Thanks!

mamakrystal — April 9, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Awww, totally cute! It came up in my google reader and my stomach growled!!! YUM!

Teresa Bjork — April 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Yum! I’m making these this weekend for birthday treats. Can’t believe you can’t find almond bark. There are stacks of it at our small-town grocery store in Iowa.

Jen — April 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm

Sarah – I use squeeze bottles from Michaels. They look like this.

Teresa – yes, it’s crazy that they don’t have almond bark out East. In the Midwest you can get it anywhere!

Sarah — April 10, 2010 at 3:37 am

Thanks Jen! These are awesome. I have so many new pages bookmarked since finding your blog. P.S. I was in TJ Maxx tonight and found a jar of polka dot sprinkles, like true big polka dots, and I thought of you!

Baking Away — April 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Do you have any Super WalMarts near you? I get them there all the time in Massachusetts. They are carried year round in the baking aisle. I’m not sure if regular WalMarts have them too.

mrs. c — April 11, 2010 at 10:16 pm

These look yummy and I think that my college-age nephews would love them…how whould they travel? Have you got suggestions for things that will travel well in the mail? Thank you

Jen — April 11, 2010 at 11:08 pm

mrs. c – these would travel really well. I like them straight from the fridge or freezer. I would freeze them for a few days prior to mailing. That’s what I do with anything I ship. I have great luck with cookies and brownies going in the mail.

KV — April 12, 2010 at 4:55 pm

have you tried coloring almond bark before? I tried a couple months ago and it was a disaster, so just curious

Jen — April 12, 2010 at 6:23 pm

KV – I have not tried to color almond bark. The Wilton’s candy melts do come in a variety of colors though, so you could use those. They are sold at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Baking Away — April 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Just wanted to clarify that I meant I find almond bark at Super WalMart here in MA. I went back to see if you had responded, and I realized my comment didn’t really make much sense!

Jen — April 13, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Thanks. I don’t shop much at Walmart… It’s probably better that I can’t find this stuff anywhere, otherwise I’d be making these all the time!

clash of clans gemmes gratuit sans payer — March 17, 2016 at 2:00 am

Retirer en discernement en visitant cette d?mes plaisanteries tel cette contradictoire localité.

OBAT LUKA BAKAR — October 6, 2017 at 10:07 am