Summer Squash

Hubby and I have decided to get back into shape. We’re starting to hit the gym again and upping the number of fruits and veggies in our diets. I’m also going to be trying to bake less. This makes me sad, but I’ll definitely keep baking, just not 3 times a week like I have been.

Vindicate the Vegetable is a new blogging event is a perfect way for us to bump up our veggie intake and to try out some new vegetables. Hubby and I like most veggies, so it’ll be great to learn new recipes as well. This week, the vegetable is yellow summer squash – one of our favorites!
I love cooking the squash this way. It’s so simple and delicious.

Foil veggie pack – serves 4 – by ME!
2 yellow summer squash
2 zucchini
~3 Tbsp Italian dressing
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place a large piece of foil in a square pan or Pyrex dish.

Cut vegetables into cubes. Toss with dressing. Place veggies in foil packet and season with salt and pepper. Fold foil up to enclose the veggies in a packet.

Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

The foil packet can be used with a variety of cooking methods. The foil pack can also be cooked on a grill.

11 Responses to “Lime Cilantro Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans”

Lauren — November 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

This dish sounds great! I love sweet potatoes and black beans together, and the cilantro and lime sound like the perfect flavor additions.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 5, 2010 at 2:08 pm

My fiance isn’t the biggest fan of beans so I try to “sneak” them into dishes and this looks a great recipe to try out!

Eliana — November 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I absolutely adore sweet potatoes but wud have never thought of flavoring them with cilantro and lime. This sounds like it would turn out super delicious.

Kerstin — November 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm

We always have black beans in the house too and they are just perfect with sweet potatoes too – yum!

becksterslaboratory — November 7, 2010 at 12:37 am

Oh dear, I never thought of pairing these 4 fave flavors together. Amazing : )

Nutmeg Nanny — November 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Yum! I love black beans and I also love that they are super good for you. I think this would be an awesome quick weeknight dinner!

tobias cooks! — November 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

perfect combo of tastes. I would love to try this one.

Boston Food Diary — November 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Mmmm what a refreshing twist on sweet potatoes! These sound hearty and delicious!

Carrie — November 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

What a great recipe and beautiful photo. Black beans and sweet potatoes (and cilantro, for that matter!) are a couple of my favorite foods, so I know that I’d love this!

lacasitainspirada — November 14, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Yum! I love black beans in salads. This sounds great!
    And great pictures, too!

robinakagoatmom — February 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Made a half recipe and loved it hot or cold! Took to a work pot luck and a hit with everyone. Thanks for another great recipe.