Boston baked beans in the Crockpot (My Kind of Town)

I love all of Joelen’s creative blogging events. This month, she’s hosting “My Kind of Town Thanksgiving Adventure” which encourages everyone to make a dish specific to your city. I immediately thought of Boston Baked Beans. I’ve never had any baked beans other the kind from a can. Funny side note, my mom likes to eat them cold because they did that when she was young. Gross… Anyways, I do love baked beans. They’re a perfect compliment to any summer barbecue.

These beans are amazing. And very hearty. Hubby and I ate them out of a bowl with a piece of bread for dinner. Very simple and tasty. We didn’t know if we were supposed to leave the bacon in or take it out. We stirred it in and the bacon literally just fell apart and mixed in with the beans. We ate these the next day with some turkey burgers. I’ll definitely be making these again and again.

Note – Hubby was concerned there wasn’t enough liquid in there when we started the crockpot. The bacon adds a lot of liquid to the party, so don’t fret little pet 🙂 If you sub sausage or something else for the bacon, you might want to add some more liquid though.

Crockpot Boston Baked Beans – from Stephanie
3 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped finely
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried mustard – I used 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 pound of bacon – I cut the bacon strips in 1/2 so they’d fit in the crockpot

Drain and rinse your beans, and add them to the crockpot. Add onion and brown sugar. Pour in the molasses and ketchup. Add spices. Stir to combine.

Lay slices of uncooked bacon over the top of the beans.

Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or high for about 4. Ours cooked while we were at work, so about 10 hours on low.

11 Responses to “Indian Spiced Chickpeas with Spinach”

USA Kiwi (Kylee) — February 20, 2013 at 9:34 am

I love a good indian spiced dish – this looks great, and would be perfect to eat at lunchtime!

Shannon — February 20, 2013 at 10:33 am

this sounds great- so quick and full of flavor, perfect for weekday lunches! hope things are going well in cinci!

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:25 am

Thanks – things are starting to get settled here. We are closing on a house in a few weeks, so we’ll be moving again soon. Hope all is going well for you back in Boston!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 21, 2013 at 9:37 am

I hope you are finding Ohio welcoming…even though it’s cold! These chickpeas seem like the perfect dish to help you feel warm and cozy.

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:26 am

Thanks! We are finding Ohio welcoming. Everyone here is so nice (even if they can’t merge in to traffic to save their life…)

Erica @ In and Around Town — February 21, 2013 at 9:50 am

Chick peas and spinach – always make for a delicious and hearty meal! Definitely a good choice.

gerry — February 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Is there a substitute for garam masala?

• beantownbaker — February 24th, 2013 @ 10:28 am

Garam Masala has a unique flavor, but it is made from a combination of other spices so I’m sure you could find a substitute on the internet somewhere…

Julia — March 9, 2013 at 2:42 am

This is the perfect go-to recipe for a busy lifestyle…healthful, tasty and so easy to throw together! I hope things settle down for you and your hubs and your place begins feeling more warm and cozy! Meanwhile, you have a delicious satisfying recipe to comfort you!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — March 10, 2013 at 11:28 am

Oh yum, this looks so warming and delicious!