Boston baked beans in the Crockpot (My Kind of Town)

I love all of Joelen’s creative blogging events. This month, she’s hosting “My Kind of Town Thanksgiving Adventure” which encourages everyone to make a dish specific to your city. I immediately thought of Boston Baked Beans. I’ve never had any baked beans other the kind from a can. Funny side note, my mom likes to eat them cold because they did that when she was young. Gross… Anyways, I do love baked beans. They’re a perfect compliment to any summer barbecue.

These beans are amazing. And very hearty. Hubby and I ate them out of a bowl with a piece of bread for dinner. Very simple and tasty. We didn’t know if we were supposed to leave the bacon in or take it out. We stirred it in and the bacon literally just fell apart and mixed in with the beans. We ate these the next day with some turkey burgers. I’ll definitely be making these again and again.

Note – Hubby was concerned there wasn’t enough liquid in there when we started the crockpot. The bacon adds a lot of liquid to the party, so don’t fret little pet 🙂 If you sub sausage or something else for the bacon, you might want to add some more liquid though.

Crockpot Boston Baked Beans – from Stephanie
3 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped finely
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried mustard – I used 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 pound of bacon – I cut the bacon strips in 1/2 so they’d fit in the crockpot

Drain and rinse your beans, and add them to the crockpot. Add onion and brown sugar. Pour in the molasses and ketchup. Add spices. Stir to combine.

Lay slices of uncooked bacon over the top of the beans.

Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or high for about 4. Ours cooked while we were at work, so about 10 hours on low.

14 Responses to “Oven Roasted Chickpeas”

Funandfearlessinbeantown — February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I was also totally inspired by the same blog post and made them with a spicy kick! These are totally addictive!

Kathy Day — February 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Noms! I love to roast chickpeas with Asparagus in the spring. It’s one of my favorite quick meals, but I still havent cooked them crispy for snacking yet…. You are now person number 5 (or more I lost count) to post these so I think they are in odred very soon!

Cathy — February 1, 2011 at 5:26 pm

looks good! I saw a recipe from the whole living magazine last week that I was going to try too.

Pyjammy Pam — February 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Okay, that is seriously spooky. I was *just* about to go look for a recipe for these (I bought a can of chickpeas a few weeks ago to make some) and up popped your blog in my google reader. Woo!

Janelovrut — February 2, 2011 at 12:50 am

Mmm, so glad everyone is loving these. And now I know what to make for my friend’s superbowl party! Thanks for the reminder!

Sarah C — February 2, 2011 at 12:52 am

I love that you use canned chickpeas for this! When I saw the title I thought “mmm, tasty, but you probably have to do dried chickpeas and blah blah blah”. But you don’t! And it’s a perfect quick use for the extra cans I have in the pantry so that I don’t have to keep making hummus. 🙂

I’ve already put some of your Super Bowl recipes on my menu for Sunday, including the mini ham & cheese sandwiches. We live in Pittsburgh and are huge Steelers fans, so we’re REALLY EXCITED!!!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — February 2, 2011 at 2:41 am

Hope your Superbowl menu turns out great. Although I have to admit, I’ll be rooting against your team!

Shannon — February 2, 2011 at 5:21 am

love the smoked paprika 🙂

Jessica — February 2, 2011 at 5:46 am

I have yet to try these and really just need to jump in and do it! Thanks for the reminder 😉

Katie — February 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Have been meaning to make these! So yummy to snack on and crazy good for you. Need to make these soon..

Neev — February 4, 2011 at 1:17 am

Great snack. What if I am dried chickpeas not canned. Does it need to be soaked overnight?
    Neev

Lisa @Karma Per Diem — February 4, 2011 at 1:29 am

How interesting! I love chickpeas and am going to make these this weekend! Thanks!

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com — February 4, 2011 at 2:05 am

Neev – I’m really not sure how to do this with dried chickpeas. I’ve only used canned. I would assume you would want to soak them overnight first.

Pyjammy Pam — March 30, 2011 at 11:26 am