Shrimp Scampi with Mushrooms and Asparagus recipe

This week’s veggie is Asparagus! Another favorite of ours. I immediately thought of the Shrimp-Asparagus-Gnocchi dinner that we make on a regular basis. But I wanted to make something this week. I do love to just steam asparagus and serve as a side dish, but I wanted something more exciting than that. I looked through the recipes on Allrecipes.com for some inspiration. This was a great recipe that can be thrown together on a weeknight. The flavors and textures of the veggies and shrimp mixed quite well. The original recipe has cheese on top as well, but I wanted to lighten it up. With all that butter, the cheese isn’t needed anyways.

Shrimp Scampi with Mushrooms and Asparagus – loosely based on Allrecipes.com
whole wheat angel hair pasta
1 lb shrimp
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb asparagus, cut to 1″ pieces
mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 stick butter
Old Bay seasoning

Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning on shrimp. Set aside.

Prepare pasta al-dente. Drain well.

While water is boiling and pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and 3 cloves of garlic in a large saucepan. Add the asparagus and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms begin to turn tender. Empty contents of pan into a large bowl and set aside.

Add remaining garlic, lemon juice, and butter to saucepan. Once butter starts to bubble, add shrimp to saucepan and cook until pink. Empty contents of pan into bowl with the veggies. Add the drained pasta and stir to combine.

11 Responses to “Caramelized Butternut Squash”

Pam — November 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I have been loving Butternut Squash more than ever this season, myself! Your pictures are lovely, and making me hungry!

Lauren — November 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I LOVE butternut squash… especially when roasted until slightly crisp on the outside. Your caramelized version looks great – I will need to add a touch of brown sugar and butter next time I make it.

Boston Food Diary — November 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm

YUM!!! I started my butternut squash kick this weekend- this looks amazing!

Melissa — November 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I have a butternut squash from my CSA that I’m dying to cut into. I have a question though, how does one peel a butternut squash?

Jen — November 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Melissa – I like to use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel the skin off. You could do it with a knife, but I would be worried about cutting myself.

Julie — November 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like a fabulous way to prepare those squash. I’ll have to remember this for if we have another bumper crop next year!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jen, nice seeing you again yesterday. I usually roast my butternut squash with brown sugar too but I can’t believe I never thought of adding butter! I usually omit the salt and pepper because I like it very dessert-like, so I add cinnamon too 🙂

Paula — November 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

what a great blog!
    here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
    Paula

Megan — November 16, 2010 at 12:49 am

I love butternut squash too. It’s definitely delicious with just a bit of brown sugar. Sometimes I go a bit overboard and roast it with a whole lot of butter, brown, sugar, and maple syrup.

theblogisthenewblack — November 16, 2010 at 2:46 am

This looks amazing! I love bn squash. I just made a fantastic soup, and now I want to carmelize it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

This is such a simple way to cook butternut squash and yet SO delicious! I’m loving your butternut squash blog posts!