Shrimp Scampi with Mushrooms and Asparagus recipe

This week’s veggie is Asparagus! Another favorite of ours. I immediately thought of the Shrimp-Asparagus-Gnocchi dinner that we make on a regular basis. But I wanted to make something this week. I do love to just steam asparagus and serve as a side dish, but I wanted something more exciting than that. I looked through the recipes on Allrecipes.com for some inspiration. This was a great recipe that can be thrown together on a weeknight. The flavors and textures of the veggies and shrimp mixed quite well. The original recipe has cheese on top as well, but I wanted to lighten it up. With all that butter, the cheese isn’t needed anyways.

Shrimp Scampi with Mushrooms and Asparagus – loosely based on Allrecipes.com
whole wheat angel hair pasta
1 lb shrimp
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb asparagus, cut to 1″ pieces
mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 stick butter
Old Bay seasoning

Sprinkle Old Bay seasoning on shrimp. Set aside.

Prepare pasta al-dente. Drain well.

While water is boiling and pasta is cooking, heat olive oil and 3 cloves of garlic in a large saucepan. Add the asparagus and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms begin to turn tender. Empty contents of pan into a large bowl and set aside.

Add remaining garlic, lemon juice, and butter to saucepan. Once butter starts to bubble, add shrimp to saucepan and cook until pink. Empty contents of pan into bowl with the veggies. Add the drained pasta and stir to combine.

11 Responses to “Massaged Kale Salad”

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’m so glad you posted this! Aarti’s kale salad is on my list of dishes to make, and it’s good to know that you guys enjoyed it.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — August 30, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I saw this on the first episode of Aarti Party and it looked so good to me! Kale is something I’ve also never worked with in our kitchen so I definitely want to give this recipe a try!

Josie — August 30, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I love kale, and I was intrigued by this as well – I really want to try it now! Great picture!

Lauren — August 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I picked up all of the ingredients this morning to make the salad, and it is now sitting in my fridge waiting to be devoured for lunch. It’s GREAT! Who knew raw kale could be so good?!

Lizzy — August 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Kale is one of my favorite foods but I haven’t had it raw yet. I am bookmarking this!

Kate — August 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Wow sounds interesting! I’m very curious to try it myself. I love kale.

Christine — August 30, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I saw this on Aarti Party too – looks good – glad you tried it!

We Are Not Martha — August 31, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love kale and am on a new-found mango kick, so I’m sure this is absolutely wonderful 🙂

Sues

Sherry G — August 31, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I don’t know if I could get anyone in my family to try this, but it looks so interesting! I have never tried kale, but I would like to!

Cara — August 31, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I made a massaged kale salad once but it was just “eh”. I don’t think I massaged enough. But I might have to try it again, and do it the right way, since you both loved it!

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I LOVE massaged kale – love, love, love it. It tastes completely different than “regular” – not as “green” if that makes sense. 🙂
    I also love the next food network star. I should check out Aarti’s show since this recipe sounds like it’s right up my alley. 🙂