Crockpot Chicken, Rice, and Mushrooms

This is another recipe from the Crockpot queen herself. This is the first time I’ve made rice in the crockpot. It came out a little mushy. We weren’t huge fans of the outcome mostly due to that fact. I would definitely add more pepper to the soup mixture and possibly some garlic next time.

Crockpot Chicken, Rice, and Mushrooms – from A Year of Crockpotting
1 1/2 cups of brown rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk, divided – I used soy
3/4 cup flour – I used 1 cup white flour + 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 small yellow onion, diced
8 oz sliced mushrooms – I used 8 oz baby bellas and 8 oz white mushrooms (we like mushrooms)
3-4 chicken breast halves or equivalent parts
1/2 tsp onion powder – I forgot this, but did add some garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika

Combine all of the chicken broth (1 1/2 cups – I used the whole can ~2 cups) and 1/2 cup of milk in a sauce pan and heat over medium heat on the stove. In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup of milk with 3/4 cup flour.

When the broth and milk have begun to boil, reduce heat, and slowly stir in the milk and flour mixture. When everything is fully incorporated, set the pot aside to cool.

Spray the inside of your crockpot with cooking spray.

Add the rice and seasonings to your crock. Chop up the onion, and add it with the mushrooms. Stir in your broth, flour, and milk mixture. The rice will turn a bit red from the paprika.

Lay the chicken pieces on top.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for about 8.

When you take the lid off of the crockpot, stir the rice. If the rice is fully cooked and you have extra liquid, keep the lid off for about 15 minutes. The liquid will absorb quickly.

9 Responses to “Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)”

webbie — July 24, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Welcome to the BBs. I did cucumber towers with mine the first time I made this, then stuffed cherry tomatoes and new potatoes for a work event today.

Your pics are great. Wish I’d thought of the salt.:-)

Sophie — July 24, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Hi Jen,

I just discovered your blog :). I’m Sophie from Flour Arrangements. In just about a week I’ll be moving to Boston (actually Cambridge) from Austin, and I’m hoping to start a cooking group when I get there. I actually TRY to cook dairy free too (although sometimes I need a little dairy in there, ya know?); so it’d be cool to have a fellow ‘somewhat non-dairy’ foodie in the group! Drop me a comment on my blog, or even an email, if you’re interested. It’s nice meeting you!

Oh, and feel free to tell any of your friends about it :).

Sophie
    Flour Arrangements

Ivy — July 24, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Wow, these look really good and refreshing! NIICE!

Joelen — July 24, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Your idea of stuffing them into tomatoes is great! And great tip on using salt!

Esi — July 24, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I love how you presented the dip. Nice work!

Inna's Culinary Inventions — July 25, 2008 at 2:52 am

What a wonderful idea to stuff tomatoes! These look great!

giz — July 25, 2008 at 8:19 pm

These would be fun to make. I’ll bet the hardest part was scooping out the tomatoes. They make for a delicious and colourful appetizer.

Megan — July 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

excellent use of a dip! Love the salt idea.

Janna — July 31, 2008 at 5:10 pm

THIS LOOKS MARVELOUS! I need to start back again with BB now that we are settled in the new digs.