I’ll have S’more

What’s in a Cupcake Hero anyways? To me, a Cupcake Hero presents a recipe for either a new combination of flavors or a unique use of a cupcake. When Laurie announced that the theme for March’s Cupcake Hero was Marshmallow, I immediately thought of S’mores. So I decided to aim for using cupcakes in a unique way to make s’mores.

I wanted to make s’mores the same way you would at a campfire, except there are no graham crackers, just graham cupcakes. Personally, I’m a big fan of catching my marshmallow on fire, letting it get all black, then blowing out the flame right before squishing it between my prepared graham crackers. I even stuck with the good old Hershey’s chocolate bar. It’s not the best chocolate out there, but when it comes to s’mores, it’s a key ingredient.

Since I made these into mini-cupcakes, they’re not as messy as real s’mores. You can just pop one into your mouth and eat it in one bite. I went ahead and made some regular s’mores to do a comparison of the taste. I preferred the cupcake version – it was less messy and was easy to eat. Hubby missed the crunchy-ness found in normal s’mores. I will definitely consider making a batch of these cupcakes to take to my next camping trip…

Graham Cupcakes – (from Vanilla Garlic) – makes 12-14
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup of milk1 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/8 teaspoon of salt

Beat the butter for about 30 seconds until well creamed. Add the sugar and mix for 3 minutes using a paddle attachment until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, being sure to beat for 30 seconds for each egg.

Place graham crackers in a food processor or in a plastic bag and beat the crud out of them until it’s been ground into small crumbs and powder.

Sift together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and powder, and salt. Add about 1/4 of the mixture to the butter mixture, then add some of the milk. Continue to add the ingredients in a dry-wet-dry method, ending with the dry. Continue to mix until just combined.

Scoop into cupcake papers and bake for 15-18 minutes in a 350 F oven or until a cake tester comes out clean.
S’mores assembly
I spent a decent amount of time getting the right combination of marshmallow to chocolate to cupcake. This is what we liked, but feel free to play with the combo. For the chocolate bars, I used the mini ones that come in a pack of 8. Not the normal size you’d get for camping, but smaller. I also used big marshmallows, but cut them in half.
Once cupcakes have cooled, cut in 1/2 horizontally.

Place 1 small square of chocolate on the top of the cupcake (use 1 square on the top and bottom if you like it really chocolatey). Heat in microwave for 20 seconds to start the melting of the chocolate.
Cut a large marshmallow in half horizontally (two small marshmallows would probably work perfectly here). Heat your marshmallow. I roasted mine over my gas burner with a fondue stick (the big guy shown here was for one of the trials – the whole marshmallow was too much for me). Once marshmallow is done to your liking, quickly put it onto one 1/2 of the cupcake and make the sandwich.

Stick a toothpick through the entire thing for ease of eating. ENJOY!

31 Responses to “Salted Dark Chocolate Truffle Cookies”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 3, 2013 at 8:29 am

Dark chocolate truffles in cookie form? Um, YES!!! I’ll take a dozen for myself and another dozen for later, please.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 3, 2013 at 10:52 am

Wow – these sound good! and I truly do not understand how people can just “not be into chocolate!” It is my favorite!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

Yea, I really don’t get it either. Oh well, more for me!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — May 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Oh wow, chocolate truffle cookies sound divine! These look ridiculously good! Love that they’re salted too!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

I have been sprinkling salt on all of my cookies recently. It makes them much more adult and less super-sweet.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yum these look divine!

tracy {pale yellow} — May 4, 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m always in need of a chocolate fix! I have several friends that claim they are not chocolate people, yet I find whenever I make something chocolate + salt, they are all over it!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

I definitely find that people who claim they aren’t chocolate people rarely say no to any homemade baked goods. Chocolate or otherwise.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 5, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh my! These look divine 🙂 I’d love to make these babies soon!

Shannon — May 6, 2013 at 1:41 pm

these look amazing!! and how thick that batter is 🙂 love the sea salt!

• beantownbaker — May 8th, 2013 @ 8:29 pm

The batter was basically ganache. You could have just made truffles from it directly.

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love any and all things dark chocolate. These look so decadent!

best friend rings — May 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you’re working with?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something
    more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

Jane — May 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Wow! Those look so perfectly decadent! I’m practically drooling on my screen 😉

Amy — May 16, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Just made these. Worried I didn’t bake them long enough… however they still tasted divine. Waiting to get the verdict from my husband on them.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

I think underbaking these sounds like a great idea. I might have to do that next time.

Rachita — June 4, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Since I’m trying this recipe for the first time, can I halve the entire recipe?

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:12 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I didn’t see this comment until now! I don’t see why you couldn’t make a half batch of these cookies. Did you try it? How did they turn out?

Joan — June 9, 2013 at 10:08 am

These are the most amazing chocolate cookies I have ever made. Everyone with whom I have shared them have gone absolutly nuts and want the recipe. I do not wet my hands when rolling the cookies into balls—too messy. I just let my hands get sticky and rinse and dry them after making several balls. This is one of the best recipes on Pinterest.

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words! So glad you enjoy these cookies. I was wondering if getting my hands wet actually helped with the messiness very much. Next time I’ll be sure to just go at it without dealing with the water.

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

Hey! I tried halving the recipe…but it melted while in the oven. Became runny & all of them just stuck together 🙁
    I tried just one batch. Anything I can do to fix the remaining batter?

• beantownbaker — June 18th, 2013 @ 4:01 pm

Interesting… How did you account for half of an egg? And is your baking powder past it’s expiration date?

Rachita — June 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ohh! Looks like I’ve added a lil too much egg. Damn! Any way I can fix the batter? Add more flour perhaps? Plz help!

• beantownbaker — June 19th, 2013 @ 7:12 am

I’d add a little more flour to see if you can balance out the extra amount of egg in there.

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 6:49 am

I added 1/4 cup more flour & a teensy bit of baking powder to my messed up batter & they came out wonderfully! They’re so gooey & yumm that my husband & son (who never eats chocolate!) finished six cookies at one go!
    Amazing recipe!! Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it !

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:00 am

Oh GOOD! So glad you were able to make them work. Aren’t they divine?

Rachita — June 20, 2013 at 7:17 am

U bet! They are sinfully delicious! Sent some in my son’s snack pack & I have mommies calling for these cookies!
    I’m officially ur No.1 fan now! 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:18 am

Aww Thanks! 🙂

Emily — June 27, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hi, I was wondering if I could put them in the freezer instead of the fridge for a shorter period of time? If so, how long should I put them in the freezer for instead of the fridge?

• beantownbaker — June 27th, 2013 @ 8:06 am

Hm. You could definitely try it. I would think it’s still going to need an hour or so in the freezer since you want it to set up pretty well. Let me know how it turns out if you do.