Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)

I recently joined yet another blogging group. The Barefoot Bloggers make only recipes from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). While I don’t have any of her cookbooks, I do enjoy watching her on the Food Network. Each month, 2 members get to choose a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Then we all post then on the same day (every other Thursday). So keep an eye out for my BB posts and also check out the blogroll to see everyone else’s posts.

The first BB recipe that I got to make as a Barefoot Blogger is the Smoked Salmon Spread (thanks Ashley for picking this great recipe!) I wanted to spruce it up, so I decided to stuff it into some tomatoes. The dip was very tasty and adding tomatoes into the mix added a freshness. I used a tip I read online somewhere to serve them on a bed of salt. The salt helps to prevent the tomatoes from rolling around.

Smoked Salmon Spread – from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, pg 35
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt – I omitted
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.

To stuff tomatoes: I bought Campari tomatoes (they’re a little bigger than a golf ball). I cut a hole in the top then I used the end of a spoon to scoop out the insides including the seeds. I then rinsed in cool water and placed upside down on a paper towel to drain. I put the spread into a plastic bag and cut off the corner so I could pipe a little bit into each tomato. I garnished with fresh dill.

11 Responses to “Caramelized Butternut Squash”

Pam — November 15, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I have been loving Butternut Squash more than ever this season, myself! Your pictures are lovely, and making me hungry!

Lauren — November 15, 2010 at 1:01 pm

I LOVE butternut squash… especially when roasted until slightly crisp on the outside. Your caramelized version looks great – I will need to add a touch of brown sugar and butter next time I make it.

Boston Food Diary — November 15, 2010 at 3:45 pm

YUM!!! I started my butternut squash kick this weekend- this looks amazing!

Melissa — November 15, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I have a butternut squash from my CSA that I’m dying to cut into. I have a question though, how does one peel a butternut squash?

Jen — November 15, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Melissa – I like to use a Y-shaped vegetable peeler to peel the skin off. You could do it with a knife, but I would be worried about cutting myself.

Julie — November 15, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like a fabulous way to prepare those squash. I’ll have to remember this for if we have another bumper crop next year!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 15, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Hi Jen, nice seeing you again yesterday. I usually roast my butternut squash with brown sugar too but I can’t believe I never thought of adding butter! I usually omit the salt and pepper because I like it very dessert-like, so I add cinnamon too 🙂

Paula — November 15, 2010 at 5:41 pm

what a great blog!
    here is so many inspirations,

have a nice time,
    Paula

Megan — November 16, 2010 at 12:49 am

I love butternut squash too. It’s definitely delicious with just a bit of brown sugar. Sometimes I go a bit overboard and roast it with a whole lot of butter, brown, sugar, and maple syrup.

theblogisthenewblack — November 16, 2010 at 2:46 am

This looks amazing! I love bn squash. I just made a fantastic soup, and now I want to carmelize it!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

This is such a simple way to cook butternut squash and yet SO delicious! I’m loving your butternut squash blog posts!