Brie Bites

Hubby and I were going to a wine and cheese party. I wanted to bring an appetizer that fit the theme. I just kind of threw these together and they were quite tasty!

Brie Bites (by ME!)
60 pre-made phyllo cups (4 packages)
15 oz Brie wheel – or spreadable Brie – see note below
topping choices:
Brown sugar
Dried cranberries
Toasted almonds
Fruit preserves

Cut the white casing off the Brie. I like to freeze the Brie for about 20 minutes to make this task easier. Cut Brie into 60 pieces (about 1-inch squares). NOTE: I made these more recently (11/29/08) and used the spreadable Brie that you can find right next to the regular Brie. It has no rind, so you can just scoop it into the cups. This was SO MUCH easier than cutting off the rind. It also melted a lot better and had a better texture because of it. I highly recommend doing it this way.

Put one piece of Brie into each phyllo cup. Bake for about 7 minutes at 350.

Top with either 1 tsp of fruit preserves or 1/2 tsp brown sugar and a couple almonds and a couple dried cranberries. Cook again for a few minutes to melt the preserves/sugar.

22 Responses to “Homemade White Cheddar Cheez-Its”

Kari@Loaves n Dishes — January 16, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love these, I could eat the whole batch myself. So much healthier than the boxed crackers, that have all those ingredients I can’t pronounce!

• beantownbaker — January 16th, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

I completely agree. We avoid processed foods as much as possible. I was glad to find a snack that Hubby loves so much and is *so* easy to make at home.

Lokness @ The Missing Lokness — January 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm

These cheez its are stunning looking! They must be very cheesy and crispy! I really need to make this for my husband soon!

• beantownbaker — January 17th, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

They definitely are! Hubby convinced me to make more this weekend already 🙂

JaxInBoston — January 18, 2013 at 12:54 pm

looks delicious – how do you think this would work with other cheeses? I’m thinkin’ pepper jack…

• beantownbaker — January 18th, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

I would think other cheeses would work pretty well. I wouldn’t use anything too soft, but pepper jack should work. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

Emma — January 21, 2013 at 12:13 pm

These look fantastic. Great photos. I’m going to make some this weekend. Please check out the food blog I have just started http://www.surreyKitchen.wordpress.com. Thanks!

• beantownbaker — January 21st, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Let me know what you think of them if you do make them!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — January 23, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I HATE pickles. They are awful, but I definitely love cheese crackers. I especially love white cheddar cheez-its 😉

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

You should definitely make these then – they’re seriously so good!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

I don’t even eat my french fries that touched the pickle at restaurants. And I LOVE french fries!

tracy {pale yellow} — January 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I have always thought making your own crackers would be too much work. Your version looks straightforward and delightful. I’m sure the taste is worth all the effort!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

I agree, it was definitely much easier than I would have guessed. My sister, who never bakes, has already made these twice!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — January 24, 2013 at 9:51 am

I don’t like fries that touched pickles either! Not only do they then taste like a pickle, but they get soggy and I prefer crunchy fries!

Megan — January 24, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Um… Cheez-Its are one food I cannot have around. Once I open the box, I pretty much eat the whole thing. I love this homemade version!

Alyssa — February 3, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hello! I am more of a baker than a cook, so I was very nervous about what to make for my boyfriend’s Superbowl party! Found this recipe, and just made it! SUPER easy! I am really impressed by how much it tastes like a cheez-it… but better! I like this recipe and hope to try it with other cheeses! Thanks!

PS. I did use the silicon baking mat and that made it a lot easier. Good point to follow!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!! I’ve already made them a handful of times with various cheeses and spices thrown in. They’ve all been delicious.

Priya@MyKitchenOdyssey — November 6, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Oh my.Jen you done it.My little girl loves cheez it.I throwed the cheddar cheese(little bite size) once, don’t know what to make with it .I wish i had seen this earlier 🙁
    Any was can we make these with bite size cheese sticks.?

MyKitchenOdyssey

• beantownbaker — November 7th, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I’m sure you could use this dough to make any shape you’d like…

Priya@MyKitchenOdyssey — November 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Thanks for your reply .I meant the cracker barrel cheese ,Can i use this cheese to bake cheez its.

MyKitchenOdyssey

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

I think any cheese that comes in a block would be fine for this recipe.

Priya@MyKitchenOdyssey — November 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Many thanks jen.I will be doing it very soon.

MyKitchenOdyssey