Cranberry applesauce

I have to say, I dislike applesauce a lot. I think it’s a texture thing. Growing up, my sister was the one in our family who ate a lot of applesauce, I mean that she’d put it on her hamburger, on spaghetti noodles or eat it out of the jar. She loved it. I never did.

I thought I might like homemade applesauce since I would be able to control the texture. I had some leftover cran-applesauce from the potato pancakes I made, I decided to try my hand at homemade applesauce. I figured I was almost there, I just needed more apples and to thicken it up a bit. I took the leftover sauce and added 1 more cooked apple and mashed with my pastry cutter and voila!

Like I said, I don’t like applesauce, but this stuff was amazing. Very very good. Can’t wait to make a whole batch!

Cran-Applesauce (by ME!)
1 can of whole cranberry sauce
4 apples, cubed – I used golden delicious and left the skin on
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put everything into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until apples are tender. Mash apples until reaches desired consistency (I left mine fairly chunky).

7 Responses to “Chicken Parmesan Burgers”

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 17, 2010 at 11:58 am

This sounds awesome! The pictures are wonderful as well. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to get good burger pictures. I love the pizza sauce on this! Thanks!

We Are Not Martha — August 17, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Yum! I love chicken parmesan and I love burgers, so why not, right? They look delicious!

Sues

Melissa — August 17, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I love how there are so many variations of burgers! Yours sound delcious!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — August 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I love chicken parmesan so this sound so great to me! Like you, I love living in the city but wish I could grill during the summer!

ellysaysopa.com — August 19, 2010 at 1:37 am

So glad you liked them! Love the caramelized onions on top. I just had a burger with bbq caramelized onions this week. 🙂

an adventure in wool — September 30, 2010 at 11:44 pm

i love this idea! was writing my grocery list and realized there is no parmesan in the recipe?

Jen — October 11, 2010 at 12:41 am

That’s a good point, there isn’t actually Parmesan in it… You could use parm instead of provolone cheese.