Am I a cupcake Hero?!?

Laurie over at quirky cupcake asked all cupcake lovers of the world to unite! She has started a monthly blogging event based around cupcakes! I do love cupcakes! For the inaugural event, the theme ingredient is lime!

Hubby, myself, and some friends were planning our menu for our upcoming Jimmy Buffett tailgating extravaganza and I thought Margarita cupcakes would be perfect! Margaritas are my favorite tasty beverage so I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while now.

There are quite a few recipes out there for Margarita cupcakes. I chose this one because I liked the fact that it doesn’t use Margarita mix, but is a more “from scratch margarita” in cupcake form.

Margarita Cupcakes – makes 12
Recipe from here (Original recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla) – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.

In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined.

Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila and Lime Frosting
1/4 cup butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, softened
1 tbsp soymilk – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
2+ cups confectioners’ sugar
coarse sugar for “rims”

Cream together butter/nonhydrogenated shortening (depending on whether you want the frosting vegan or not), soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar.

Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable.

Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse, colored sugar (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it.

The verdict: The cupcakes turned out great. They really tasted like margaritas. You could taste a hint of the tequila, but it wasn’t overpowering. They were great for our Buffett tailgating!

9 Responses to “Strawberry Blueberry Jam”

yumventures — June 2, 2010 at 11:49 am

Mmm I love jam, and this looks great for strawberry season! I unfortunately don’t like blueberries — would you adjust the other ingredients if you minus them? Also where do you get canning jars? Yay, fun summer project!

Jen — June 2, 2010 at 12:01 pm

yumventures – You can def leave the blueberries out. Follow the link through to Ina’s original recipe. It doesn’t have blueberries in it. The comments on the Food Network website did say that it was a bit sweet with the sugar listed in the recipe, so keep that in mind.

Katherine — June 2, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I’ve never made homemade jam before…but wow this sure does look delicious!

It would be great in some thumbprint cookies or linzer cookies…yumm.

laurasrecipecollection.com — June 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I’ve never had strawberry & blueberry jam before. That looks divine!

themilkmanswife — June 3, 2010 at 1:41 am

Oh, this looks wonderful! I’ve never made jam before but it’s on my list of things to try, this looks like the perfect way to get started. I love berry combos like this. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Sarah — June 5, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Does this recipe require pectin? I’ve heard that pectin is found naturally in raspberries so you don’t need it for that kind of jam, but wasn’t sure if it applied to strawberry as well. I am new to making jam but am excited to try!

Jen — June 6, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Sarah – This recipe does not require pectin.

Vickie — June 14, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hey there.. I have done your strawberry/blueberry jam, and I’m tellin ya,, it was sooooo goooood. Not too sweet either. My problem was, it never would really thicken, and I checked it on a saucer I kept in the freezer. It remained runny,, but ohh sooo good. I gave it away to family and they loved it. I’m just preparing to do more,, fingers crossed, I do hope it gets a little thicker this time. If I were to put the slightest amount of pectin I’m wondering what would happen?????? I noticed this posting is from 2010

• beantownbaker — June 15th, 2013 @ 11:44 am

I think a little bit of pectin could help thicken the jam. If you try it, I’d love to know how it turns out.