Potato Pancake with Cran-Apple-Sauce

Hubby and I caught some Rachel Ray on TV this weekend. She had a day after Thanksgiving show about how to use up your leftovers and make a completely new meal. We were both drooling over these potato pancakes with Cran-Apple-sauce.
This recipe is really simple. You start with leftover mashed potatoes. We were out of town for Thanksgiving, so I just boiled up some potatoes and mashed them in the pan. You add shredded cheddar and chopped green onions to the mashed potatoes.

Then you fry the potatoes mixture in a skillet. I put small amount of olive oil in the skillet and heated on Med-High. I used an ice-cream scoop to portion the pancakes.

While you’re doing all this, mix the cran-applesauce in a saucepan so that it can heat and simmer while you’re cooking everything else. I served these guys with some basic pork chops. The potato pancakes were the hit of the night.

Potato Pancakes:
Leftover mashed potatoes
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped green onion

Mix cheese and onion into mashed potatoes. Heat a skillet on Med-High heat. Using a ice-cream scoop, scoop potato mixture into skillet. Cook a few minutes on each side until browned.

Cran-Apple-Sauce:
Leftover cranberry sauce – I used 1 can of whole cranberry sauce
3 apples, cubed – I used golden delicious
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put everything into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or as long as it takes to prepare the rest of your meal.

9 Responses to “Bacon wrapped, Goat cheese and almond stuffed Dates”

Joelen — August 1, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Now I think bacon wrapped dates are amazing… but stuffed with goat cheese & almond?! Yum! I wish I knew of this before my Tapas party last weekend 🙂

Nate — August 21, 2008 at 8:06 pm

These are absolutely amazing!

ttfn300 — August 27, 2008 at 2:53 pm

wow sooooo good, recently had something like these (maybe minus the goat cheese?) at a reception. but i love goat cheese. need to buy me some dates 🙂

gaga — December 17, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Yay for goat cheese! It really does make them better, doesn’t it?

aleta meadowlark — March 17, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Okay, so I had these babies at a party in rural Massachusetts this weekend, and I have no idea who made them (they were part of a HUGE spread and like 100 people brought food), and I’m wondering, given your proximity, whether or not I may have possibly eaten your delights unknowingly?

Jen — March 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Aleta – it was not me, although it sounds like a great party. These always get gobbled up anywhere we take them!

biz319 — July 30, 2009 at 5:16 pm

do you think these would be good at room temperature?

I am going to an outdoor concert next week and wanted to bring some finger food!

Jen — July 30, 2009 at 5:19 pm

These are awesome at room temperature. We’ve made them a ton. You can make them and refrigerate for a couple days before grilling/broiling, you can also go ahead and cook them just leave them at room temperature. I prefer them at room temperature actually.

Beryl — December 2, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Would you imagine using some milder-tasting cheese like Brie tasting good?