Potato Pancake with Cran-Apple-Sauce

Hubby and I caught some Rachel Ray on TV this weekend. She had a day after Thanksgiving show about how to use up your leftovers and make a completely new meal. We were both drooling over these potato pancakes with Cran-Apple-sauce.
This recipe is really simple. You start with leftover mashed potatoes. We were out of town for Thanksgiving, so I just boiled up some potatoes and mashed them in the pan. You add shredded cheddar and chopped green onions to the mashed potatoes.

Then you fry the potatoes mixture in a skillet. I put small amount of olive oil in the skillet and heated on Med-High. I used an ice-cream scoop to portion the pancakes.

While you’re doing all this, mix the cran-applesauce in a saucepan so that it can heat and simmer while you’re cooking everything else. I served these guys with some basic pork chops. The potato pancakes were the hit of the night.

Potato Pancakes:
Leftover mashed potatoes
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped green onion

Mix cheese and onion into mashed potatoes. Heat a skillet on Med-High heat. Using a ice-cream scoop, scoop potato mixture into skillet. Cook a few minutes on each side until browned.

Leftover cranberry sauce – I used 1 can of whole cranberry sauce
3 apples, cubed – I used golden delicious
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup brown sugar

Put everything into a saucepan and heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or as long as it takes to prepare the rest of your meal.

7 Responses to “Raw Summer Vegetable “Pasta””

Daisy — September 23, 2010 at 12:25 am

This looks delicious! I love that you guys plowed through it as an afternoon snack!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 23, 2010 at 12:30 am

I love using veggies as a healthy substitute for pasta. My favorite is a little more obvious – spaghetti squash!

Also, I got your DM about the photo. I’ve been crazy busy but I’ll email it to everyone tonight!

nutmegnanny — September 23, 2010 at 1:11 am

What a great salad! It’s perfect for saying goodbye to summer 🙂

A Bitchin' Kitchen — September 23, 2010 at 3:09 am

This looks so good! Yummy produce is really the only thing I’ll miss about summer time. I came across your site earlier today while searching for a pumpkin spice cheesecake brownie recipe (which I plan on making tomorrow btw). You have some great recipes and I’ll definitely be returning!

Lisa — September 23, 2010 at 4:50 am

What a great vegetarian dish. With all those gorgeous colors it’s a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate.

Eliana — September 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

What a gorgeous dish. It looks super delicious too.

The Small Boston Kitchen — September 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm

YUM! Great way to (healthily) soak up the last bits of summer flavors! Looks great…