Am I a cupcake Hero?!?

Laurie over at quirky cupcake asked all cupcake lovers of the world to unite! She has started a monthly blogging event based around cupcakes! I do love cupcakes! For the inaugural event, the theme ingredient is lime!

Hubby, myself, and some friends were planning our menu for our upcoming Jimmy Buffett tailgating extravaganza and I thought Margarita cupcakes would be perfect! Margaritas are my favorite tasty beverage so I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while now.

There are quite a few recipes out there for Margarita cupcakes. I chose this one because I liked the fact that it doesn’t use Margarita mix, but is a more “from scratch margarita” in cupcake form.

Margarita Cupcakes – makes 12
Recipe from here (Original recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla) – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.

In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined.

Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila and Lime Frosting
1/4 cup butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, softened
1 tbsp soymilk – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
2+ cups confectioners’ sugar
coarse sugar for “rims”

Cream together butter/nonhydrogenated shortening (depending on whether you want the frosting vegan or not), soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar.

Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable.

Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse, colored sugar (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it.

The verdict: The cupcakes turned out great. They really tasted like margaritas. You could taste a hint of the tequila, but it wasn’t overpowering. They were great for our Buffett tailgating!

13 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting”

SimplySweeter — May 5, 2010 at 11:56 am

Oh yum Jen! These look absolutely delicious! What a great July 4th treat…..maybe split them and serve ’em up like a Strawberry Shortcake??? Yum.

KV — May 5, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hi Jen, by any chance do you remember about how many strawberries you used for the recipe and also for filling? I have maybe 10-15 strawberries at home that need to be used asap and wondered if that was enough?

Jen — May 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm

KV – Sorry I don’t. We had a big thing of strawberries in the fridge that Hubby had cut up for us to snack on. I would say it was less than a pint, but pretty close to a pint? Not really sure. Sorry I can’t be more help.

hannah! — May 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

strawberries are my favorite fruit ever! in my opinion, they always should be enjoyed fresh no matter what. even in desserts! 😀 your cupcakes look great, by the wayaoh

Cupcake Activist — May 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm

I’ve heard that strawberry cake doesn’t end up being that sweet, but maybe the addition of fresh strawberries on top changes things. I’m a huge strawberry fan, so I’m anxious to try this.

Jen — May 5, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Cupcake Activist – I could definitely see that the batter itself might not be that sweet. I thought they were great with the additional strawberries added in.

Kerstin — May 5, 2010 at 8:07 pm

This looks divine. I made the Sky High strawberry cake with frozen berries and I thought it was really good, but I’d like to try again with fresh ones too! Your hubby has some very luck coworkers 🙂

Brisbane Baker — May 6, 2010 at 11:12 am

Love this recipe.. infact all of your cupcake recipes. I made your Fauxtess cupcakes the other day and turned out wonderfully.. This is now on my wish list. :

We Are Not Martha — May 6, 2010 at 2:42 pm

These look so simple and beautiful! I love strawberry cake and I especially love the way the fresh strawberries look inside 🙂

Sues

Miss. Tarrah Dame — May 19, 2010 at 2:17 am

cant go wrong with strawberry…just made strawberry marscapone filled cupcakes myself! 🙂

soohyunee — May 25, 2010 at 12:01 am

I love how you frosted these cupcakes!! did you start from the inside and go out with a 1M tip?

Jen — May 25, 2010 at 12:03 am

Yes, soohyunee, to make the rosette, I started in the center and swirled around to the outside.

ecommerce wordpress — October 24, 2020 at 11:20 pm

I love reading tһrough an article that can mɑke people tһink.
    Also, mɑny tһanks for permitting me tto comment!

Have a l᧐oк at my page: ecommerce wordpress