Am I a cupcake Hero?!?

Laurie over at quirky cupcake asked all cupcake lovers of the world to unite! She has started a monthly blogging event based around cupcakes! I do love cupcakes! For the inaugural event, the theme ingredient is lime!

Hubby, myself, and some friends were planning our menu for our upcoming Jimmy Buffett tailgating extravaganza and I thought Margarita cupcakes would be perfect! Margaritas are my favorite tasty beverage so I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for a while now.

There are quite a few recipes out there for Margarita cupcakes. I chose this one because I liked the fact that it doesn’t use Margarita mix, but is a more “from scratch margarita” in cupcake form.

Margarita Cupcakes – makes 12
Recipe from here (Original recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)
1/4 cup lime juice
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla) – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil – I used 1/4 cup applesauce
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.

In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil, tequila, vanilla and sugar.

In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined.

Divide evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

Tequila and Lime Frosting
1/4 cup butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, softened
1 tbsp soymilk – I used Silk Light Vanilla Soymilk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
2+ cups confectioners’ sugar
coarse sugar for “rims”

Cream together butter/nonhydrogenated shortening (depending on whether you want the frosting vegan or not), soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and 2 cups of confectioners’ sugar.

Add in more sugar as needed to make frosting stiff, but spreadable.

Spread on cupcakes and roll the edges in a small amount of coarse, colored sugar (poured into a small bowl, so it’s easy to direct it.

The verdict: The cupcakes turned out great. They really tasted like margaritas. You could taste a hint of the tequila, but it wasn’t overpowering. They were great for our Buffett tailgating!

14 Responses to “Raspberry Chipotle Jam”

Samantha — January 22, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Raspberry and chipotle! what a combo. I love this idea. I could put chipotle in anything and be happy.

• beantownbaker — January 22nd, 2014 @ 9:37 pm

Chipotle is a flavor I’m learning to love as I use it more and more!

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — January 23, 2014 at 10:32 am

Holy yum! This jam reminds me of the sauce in one of my favorite appetizers from a little restaurant in Kansas. It was raspberry chipotle sauce combined with cream cheese and black beans, and it was served warm with tortilla chips. The best!

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2014 @ 2:15 pm

Is it So Long Saloon by chance?…

If so, check back on Tuesday…

• beantownbaker — January 23rd, 2014 @ 2:17 pm

BTW, I just saw in your bio that you went to Purdue – I did too! Aero engineering for me. Crazy about that shooting this week…

Ashley @ My Midwest Table — January 23, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Yes, So Long Saloon! We lived in Manhattan for a few years while my husband worked on his PhD. Can’t wait to see what you’ve cooked up on Tuesday!

Goodness, what a coincidence that you are a Purdue alumna too! Yes, so crazy and so sad.

Shannon — January 26, 2014 at 4:01 pm

this is definitely one i’ll need to make, great flavor combo 🙂

Nutmeg Nanny — February 4, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Oh gosh, this is such a fun flavor combination 🙂 I can’t wait to try this out!

Jac — September 10, 2014 at 10:57 am

I am super excited to try this recipe out. I love idea of the sweet of the fruit and the heat of the pepper. I will let you know how mine turns out.

*I just moved to Boston which is how I found your website. I’m sorta sad that you moved back to Ohio because I would love to meet you. 😀

• beantownbaker — September 12th, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

Hope it turns out well for you! We love this jam. It’s really good on a breakfast sandwich.

MezzoBetsy — September 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Oh, yum! I’m a great fan of using jams, marmalades and chutneys with meat in the crockpot or as a glaze on roasts. This would be perfect on a pork tenderloin.

Joy — January 9, 2015 at 7:41 pm

how do you make it without the jam maker? I have a breadmaking machine that can make jelly, would it work about the same?

Lucinds — July 7, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Are there any water bath instructions?

AGEN SGP RESMI — November 30, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Thats look so delicious.. nice sharing