Power of Pink Bake Sale

CANCER SUCKS

I have yet to meet someone who disagrees with that statement. We all know someone who has been affected by the nasty disease and my family is no different. 10 years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at a young age. Since then, I have made it my mission to help raise awareness and funds to beat this wretched disease.

As most of you know, I set out a few years ago to walk all of the Avon Walk cities (5 down, 3 to go!) This year, I have signed up to participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Chicago on May 31-June 1, 2014. The Avon Walk is a two day event where walkers complete a full marathon on Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday for a total of 39.3 miles.

This year’s walk is going to be extra special because my mom and two sisters will be joining me to celebrate my mom’s 10th anniversary of being a breast cancer survivor!!! Our team fundraising goal is $7,200! I will be hosting an online bake sale to help us get to that goal.

Power of Pink Bake Sale

I have hosted online bake sales in the past and this one will be very similar. If you’re interested in donating baked goods for the bake sale, please register here by Feb 23rd. If you are interested in bidding on baked goods watch for the bake sale to go live right here on Feb 25-28. All winning bids will be donated to our team.

If you’d like to donate directly to our team, without any baked goods in return (I have no idea why you’d want to do that…), you can check out the Power of Pink team page. If you’d like to learn more about the Avon Walk, check out their website at www.avonwalk.org.

To see recaps of my Avon Walk journey, check out these posts:

Boston 2009 – Hubby and I were on the crew this year
San Francisco 2010 – My first Avon Walk as a walker!
NYC 2011 – Walked through the Big Apple with two friends
Boston 2012 – Walked through my beloved Boston with two of my dearest friends
DC 2013 – This was my first walk alone, but I didn’t feel alone, that’s for sure!
Charlotte 2013 – My first time walking TWO walks in one year, and Hubby’s first time walking with me!

9 Responses to “Avon Walk DC 2013 Recap”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 9, 2013 at 9:18 am

What a great cause, and congratulations for completing the DC walk!

• beantownbaker — May 9th, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

Thanks! It’s definitely been a fun journey so far – I can’t wait for Charlotte in October.

Christina — May 9, 2013 at 9:44 am

If you ever come to Colorado for the Avon walk….let me know. I love reading your blog…and I would love to cook for you. I have tried soooo many of your wonderful ideas. 🙂 Have a blessed day!

• beantownbaker — May 9th, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

Aww, that’s so sweet. They actually stopped doing the Rocky Mountain walk this year! I guess too many people were in the medical tent because of the altitude. I’m bummed because that’s one that I was the most looking forward to…

Shannon — May 9, 2013 at 12:46 pm

so amazing jen!! hope your blisters are on their way to healing and you’ve had some rest, you deserve it 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 9th, 2013 @ 1:03 pm

Thanks 🙂 My blisters are all healed. The medical staff on the walks does an amazing job. Stairs are still somewhat painful for me, but it’s not too bad. I work on the 4th floor and today was the first day I climbed up instead of taking the elevator. I’m almost back to 100% though.

lostAnnfound — May 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Well done, Jen! One more week and we (me, Sherri, Trudi, AnnMarie & Diana) will be heading into Boston for the AWBC! We’ll be at Quick Stop A again this year. It looks like our crew will be walking in D.C. next year. It’s a great weekend!!

Ann

• beantownbaker — May 10th, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

Oh fun! Tell everyone we said hi!! And good luck in DC next year. I had a blast last weekend in DC. I’m hoping to get back to Boston sometime for another walk too.

Nutmeg Nanny — May 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Wonderful cause 🙂 Love these photos!