Power of Pink Bake Sale

CANCER SUCKS

I have yet to meet someone who disagrees with that statement. We all know someone who has been affected by the nasty disease and my family is no different. 10 years ago, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at a young age. Since then, I have made it my mission to help raise awareness and funds to beat this wretched disease.

As most of you know, I set out a few years ago to walk all of the Avon Walk cities (5 down, 3 to go!) This year, I have signed up to participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in Chicago on May 31-June 1, 2014. The Avon Walk is a two day event where walkers complete a full marathon on Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday for a total of 39.3 miles.

This year’s walk is going to be extra special because my mom and two sisters will be joining me to celebrate my mom’s 10th anniversary of being a breast cancer survivor!!! Our team fundraising goal is $7,200! I will be hosting an online bake sale to help us get to that goal.

Power of Pink Bake Sale

I have hosted online bake sales in the past and this one will be very similar. If you’re interested in donating baked goods for the bake sale, please register here by Feb 23rd. If you are interested in bidding on baked goods watch for the bake sale to go live right here on Feb 25-28. All winning bids will be donated to our team.

If you’d like to donate directly to our team, without any baked goods in return (I have no idea why you’d want to do that…), you can check out the Power of Pink team page. If you’d like to learn more about the Avon Walk, check out their website at www.avonwalk.org.

To see recaps of my Avon Walk journey, check out these posts:

Boston 2009 – Hubby and I were on the crew this year
San Francisco 2010 – My first Avon Walk as a walker!
NYC 2011 – Walked through the Big Apple with two friends
Boston 2012 – Walked through my beloved Boston with two of my dearest friends
DC 2013 – This was my first walk alone, but I didn’t feel alone, that’s for sure!
Charlotte 2013 – My first time walking TWO walks in one year, and Hubby’s first time walking with me!

12 Responses to “Strawberry and Beer Sorbet”

tracy {pale yellow} — February 1, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Three ingredients? Amazing, I can’t wait to try this for myself!

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2013 @ 9:42 pm

If you make it, let me know what beer/fruit combo you use. I can’t wait to try different combinations.

tracy {pale yellow} — February 4, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I just made it last night and used frozen strawberries and Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. Amazing!!! So creamy without any dairy. I’ll be posting the recipe on my site next week.

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

First of all, I haven’t had that beer, but it sounds tasty on it’s own. I’m sure it was delicious with the strawberries in this sorbet. So glad you enjoyed it. Let me know when your post goes up!

Shannon — February 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

what an interesting idea! love that you can still taste the individual flavors 🙂

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

I loved it too. Even though when you say Strawberry and Beer Sorbet people kind of look at you like you’re crazy….

Tiffany — February 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

This sounds awesome and I know my husband would love it but we don’t have an ice cream maker. Is there an alternative way to make it?

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about ice cream and sorbets – or anything similar like gelato. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

Carole — March 7, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Jen , thanks for joining the link up for Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter. I hope you enjoyed looking at some of the other links. I have been reading them all and must say my ice cream cravings are now almost out of control! Cheers

Ps I am signing up to follow your blog. A follow back would be great – or maybe you have already?

Jimmie — August 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I work in a brewpub in Boulder. I’m gonna try this out with fresh peaches, honey, and a strong belgian golden ale. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• beantownbaker — August 16th, 2013 @ 8:18 am

Oh man – that sounds awesome. I have a TON of peaches in my house right now… I just made a blueberry variety the other night.