The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

This past weekend, Hubby and I participated in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer as part of the crew. Last year, we had participated in a cheering station and I knew immediately that I wanted to be involved in this walk this year. The Avon walk is a 2-day event where walkers walk a marathon on Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday, totally nearly 40 miles walked.

My sister and I had talked extensively about walking in it, but she was in a wedding this weekend, so she couldn’t (congrats Erica!). So instead, Hubby and I decided to crew. The crew signs up for the entire weekend. You don’t just voluteer for a few hours, you’re there to help make the weekend a sucess for the entire weekend.

We were assigned to Quick Stop A. Quick stops provide walkers with water, gatorade, and porta-potties. We were the first quick stop, so we had to be there at 4:30AM on Saturday! I was the first to sign the Avon Walk tower. It was pitch dark and the breakfast tent wasn’t even set up yet at that point.

Check out the lines for the porta-potties at around 8AM on Saturday at our quick stop!! After working hard and cheering on walkers all day Saturday, we camped out at the Wellness Village. We were up and on our way again at 6AM Sunday. We had a blast getting to know our teammates throughout the weekend and we even signed up for next year’s event while we were there.

Check out some of the other pictures I captured over the weekend.

This is all the gear waiting to be picked up. The entire event was very well organized!

It was SO windy on Saturday – a bunch of the tents kept getting blown over.

These people are walking or crewing all nine walks this year! Can you imagine?!?

The youth crew was awesome! They were so energetic and helpful.

The Wellness Village was located at the Reebok headquarters in Canton, MA. What a beautiful campus!!

Walking back to the sea of tents to head for bed.

There was a backup at the finish line on Sunday.

This was the line of crew members leading into the closing ceremony. It was a great weekend that was truly inspirational.

9 Responses to “San Francisco, here we come!! And a Giveaway!”

booksncooks — January 18, 2010 at 4:34 pm

I am doing the 3-day 60-mile Susan G Komen walk later this year, so I know what a huge commitment you’re making. Best of luck with your training and your fund-raising.

Stephany — January 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm

You can totally do it! I did the boston walk in 08 and was out of shape but left myself 9 months to train and was in the best shape ever for that walk. I wasn’t able to do all of the miles – i did one pit stop over the half marathon the first day and then the whole day the 2nd day – It’s not how many miles you walk.
    I had someone on the shuttle back to camp tell me – a volunteer – as she saw me crying that i didn’t finish the first day – say to me: it’s not the miles you finish, it’s the $ you raise that matters. the walk is their way of showing you how hard cancer is – your $ is what matters to help the people who need it most.
    You’ll do great!!!!

YogaGracie — January 18, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I went to SF for the first time in September last year, and I loved it! I tried a few different ice cream shops cuz it’s my favorite food group, and the top on my list to re-visit next time is Humphry Slocombe’s (very unique flavor combo’s!). And one of my favorite touristy things was visiting the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park. Happy training for the walk!
    Grace @ Front Porch Yoga (www.frontporchyoga.com)

Heather @ highlowaha.com — January 18, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Good luck on the walk! The highlowaha crew will be doing the 2010 3 Day walk in Dallas/Fort Worth! We did the 2009 walk and had a blast…it was such an awesome experience!

Kat — January 18, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Thank you for your committment to the walks via Crew & walking. You can certainly do it! It’s going to be an incredible experience physically and mentally. I lost my Mom to breast and lung cancer in Feb 2006 and walked the 3 Day in Aug ’06. It was one of the most incredible events I have participated in. Be sure to incorporate some hills into your training in order to get your body ready for any route!!

Nina — January 19, 2010 at 4:27 am

Congratulations on your decision to walk. I did the Arizona 3 Day in 2008 and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I blogged my journey and the blog is still posted so you are welcome to check it out for training and fundraising tips. You can also email me any time for questions. Good Luck!

nutmegnanny — January 19, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Good luck on your walk! I know you can do it 🙂

Kerstin — January 19, 2010 at 11:49 pm

What an awesome cause! Good luck with your training!

bcallegra — January 29, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I just donated – breast cancer also runs in my family so I firmly believe in fundraising for the cause! Also, just wanted to show my support for my favorite local baker. 🙂 Have you thought about doing a bakesale to raise money? I’m thinking of doing one in work to support to the Walk for Hunger in May.