Homemade Holiday Gifts 2013

Hubby and I are working our way through our holiday gift list. I like to make homemade gifts for friends. I’m going to ruin the surprise by telling you guys my plans for gifts this year. Sorry to everyone who is getting these gifts. They’ll be just as tasty even if it’s not a surprise.

Spicy Guinness Mustard – this mustard is so simple to make and the flavor is just right for the mustard lover on your list.

Spiced Tomato Jam – Hubby and I could not get enough of this chunky fancy ketchup this year. It goes great on anything from a breakfast sandwich to grilled chicken.

Candied Vanilla Pecans – the smell that comes from your oven while baking these pecans is worth the effort alone. They’re salty and sweet with enough vanilla to taste it.

I’ll probably bake up some cookies too, but I haven’t decided which ones yet. For other holiday gift ideas, check out my Gift Ideas Tag.

Do you make homemade holiday gifts? What’s on your list this year?

9 Responses to “Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes”

Connie — November 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

What a great idea to freeze the excess chipotle chiles! Much less waste, and perfectly portioned. I do freeze buttermilk in 1/2 cup increments because I never use up the whole carton when I buy it.

• beantownbaker — November 8th, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

Oh I’ve never frozen dairy before. Does it defrost well?

Connie — November 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

It does get a little curdled looking but I only use it for baking cakes. I haven’t noticed any discernible difference in texture or flavor in the resulting cakes.

• beantownbaker — November 10th, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

Good to know. I’ll have to keep that in mind because I never use the whole carton either. I tend to just make my own buttermilk with milk + vinegar but sometimes I buy it then struggle with how to use it all.

Shannon — November 9, 2013 at 9:32 am

i like adding in a not traveling to the rotation! might have to employ that one here 🙂

• beantownbaker — November 10th, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

It was seriously one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. We’ve done a variety of things on our holidays where we don’t travel.

Karen @ The Food Charlatan — November 22, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hey Jen! I JUST made these potatoes and posted them today. Alton Brown knows his stuff right? Then I saw your picture on pinterest and was like hm I wonder if that’s the same recipe…? Great minds think alike! I added green onions and bacon to mine, because, well, bacon makes everything better. Right? 🙂 Great post! http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2013/11/22/chipotle-sweet-potatoes-with-bacon/

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Bacon definitely makes everything better. Great minds do think alike!

Baked Potato Oven — January 14, 2014 at 4:02 am

I am gonna try this on coming weekend and hope its looks at least nice in the texture and in color,because i am not so good in cooking:). Anyway Looking forward to more of your yummy dishes mate!!!