Jalapeno Popper Inspired Grilled Cheese

Well it’s here. The week of the Superbowl. I’m lucky enough to have friends who don’t mind me taking over their kitchen to provide all the food for their Superbowl party. Fiona and I have a pretty killer menu planned out for next Sunday. For the rest of you who might still be tweeking your menus or who just need a few more ideas, I’ve got some posts coming up this week that will hopefully inspire your football food needs.

You all know I’m a big wimp when it comes to spicy foods. So I could only handle about one bite of this Jalapeno Popper Inspired Grilled Cheese. That one bite was delicious. I had hoped that roasted the jalapenos might mellow them out a bit, but it didn’t. I loved the addition of the apricot preserves gives a subtle sweetness and the goat cheese mimics the cream cheese smoothiness that is found in most jalapeno poppers. Hubby really enjoyed this sandwich and it would make a great addition to your Superbowl spread.

Two Years Ago: Butternut Squash and Spinach Casserole
Four Years Ago: White Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes – take two

Print Save

Jalapeno Popper Inspired Grilled Cheese

This sandwich combines goat cheese, roasted jalapeno peppers, bacon, and apricot preserves for a sophisticated take on a jalapeno popper.

Yield: Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 slices sourdough bread
2 ounces goat cheese, softened to room temp
4 slices crisp-fried bacon
3 whole fresh jalapeno peppers
1 Tbsp apricot preserves
2 Tbsp butter

Directions:

Slice each jalapeno in half lengthwise, and remove stem, ribs and seeds.

Place cut-side-down on a baking sheet, and broil until skins blacken and blister, about five minutes. Remove jalapenos from broiler, and transfer immediately into a plastic bag or other sealed container.

Seal and let steam until cool enough to handle, about 10-20 minutes. Remove blackened skins by pinching them between your thumb and forefinger, and discard.

Spread one of the slices of bread with the goat cheese. Top with roasted jalapeno peppers, then bacon.

Spread the other piece of bread with the apricot preserves, and add to sandwich. Butter each side of the sandwich, and toast in saucepan over medium heat until bread is toasted, about 2-3 minutes a side.

12 Responses to “Goat Cheese Cake with Peach and Blueberry Topping”

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — September 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’m like you and totally try out recipes based on photos! I think goat cheese and fruit are always a perfect combo. The goat cheesecake sounds intriguing!

Lauren — September 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Looks and sounds amazing! I’m totally with you about photos of food – they are typically what tempt me to make a recipe.

Amanda — September 1, 2010 at 5:36 pm

This cake looks DELICIOUS!

I’d never heard of using goat cheese in a cheesecake, but I’m intrigued.

I, too, much prefer pictures. Sometimes you just don’t put the ingredients together in your head the right way and it comes out looking totally different than you expected. I also flip through the book faster and I tend to not find recipes unless there are pics!

Beeb — September 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i think trying something new without any idea what it should look like it rough. i love pictures but most cookbooks dont seem to have enough. i think thats why i love this blog so much, you take TONS! 🙂

i am very intrigued by this recipe. but i dont eat blueberries or peaches. is it good by itself? or is the fruit greatly needed??

Jen — September 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Beeb – It’s similar to any other cheesecake. It was good on it’s own, but the fruit really enhanced the flavor. Are there other fruits you like that you could top it with? Strawberries and blueberries would be great!

We Are Not Martha — September 1, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Oh yum! I totally want to try this. I love goat cheese (and fruit) and bet this would make an amazing cake!

I like photos too, but sometimes I get a little too into them. Like the other night when I forgot to add raisins to my cinnamon raisin bread because they weren’t in the photo 🙂

Sues

Elina — September 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I definitely prefer recipes with pictures but if a description is really good (or intriguing) or if an author points it out as a favorite… or lastly if it’s a source I trust, I go for it. With that said, I’m glad you made it and posted pictures. This cake looks (and sounds) absolutely fantastic!!!

flavourfulbounty — September 3, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This looks really good. I agree that sometimes I eat with my eyes. I love photos, but not the ones that look almost fake since they are so perfect. That’s why I love food blogs – usually it is just the food as it will be served.

I cook from a lot of different sources, and will try recipes that are appealing without any pics either. Sometimes it is more difficult when I am completely unfamiliar with the dish, though.

Ingrid — September 4, 2010 at 2:47 am

Photos! I love yours…the “cake” looks so pretty with it’s white lip and fruit piled high.
    ~ingrid

Cara — September 4, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Sounds wonderful. I can see how it would be more of a “cheesecake” than a “cheese cake” because there’s such a small amount of flour. As we move into fall, I bet it would be delicious with a topping of figs sauteed with honey… mmm… honey figs and goat cheese!

Shannon — September 15, 2010 at 1:45 am

LOVE goat cheese cheesecake 🙂 peaches and blueberries seem like another good topper (i recently made one with figs and raspberries!)

Jay — February 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm

i really have to bake that cake for my boyfriend who has a milk intolerance. thank you for posting this many recipes with goat cheese 🙂
    best wishes, jay, my blog: artandloveandme.blogspot.com