Homemade Pumpkin Puree

As you all know, I love pumpkin flavored anything. If you didn’t know that, just check out all the pumpkin recipes I’ve posted since I started this blog. Normally, I’m perfectly content with just picking up a can of pumpkin puree at the grocery store and not thinking twice about it. I figured that making my own pumpkin puree probably wasn’t worth the effort.

But then we got a couple sugar pumpkins in the last few weeks of our CSA. And I wasn’t sure exactly what to do with them. Hubby had requested some pumpkin desserts, so I figured I’d try out making my own puree. It’s really really easy to do. All you do is roast the pumpkin, then throw it into the food processor and you’re done. And just look at that color! It’s so vibrant. The taste is definitely different than store bought pumpkin puree as well. The best I can describe it is just that it tastes more fresh.

Remember that if you make your own pumpkin puree, you want to use it up within a week or it will go bad. It can be frozen for a couple months though. If you made some tonight, you’d be able to use it in that Pumpkin, Cranberry, and Pecan Pie I posted last week (that’s how I used some of mine).

Two Years Ago: Cranberry Apple Pumpkin Muffins
Three Years Ago: The Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Print Save

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Ingredients:

1 sugar pumpkin
olive oil
salt, optional

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil. Remove the stem of your pumpkin by snapping it off with your hand.

Using a large knife, cut the pumpkin into quarters. Scoop out the pulp and seeds with a spoon (be sure to roast the seeds for a delicious snack).

Place pumpkin quarters on baking sheet, flesh side up. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and rub it around to coat the flesh. Sprinkle with salt if using.

Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the flesh is soft and the skin has started to wrinkle.

Allow pumpkin to cool long enough to be able to handle it.

Using a spoon, scoop the flesh out of the skin and into a food processor. Puree until completely smooth. Store in the fridge for a week or freeze for up to four months.

13 Responses to “Pumpkin Cranberry Pecan Upside Down Cake”

Sarah — November 24, 2010 at 4:58 pm

This is the perfect recipe for all of the leftover ingredients I have! Hubby made me buy a 3-pound bag of cranberries because he loves them, but you only use 12 ounces for cranberry sauce so I’ve got about 2 pounds of cranberries left to use, plus lots of pumpkins and pecans. This is definitely being made this weekend!

Megan — November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Oh man. That does sound good. And I know it must be if you’re repeating it because I am the same way. I’m going to make a cranberry maple pecan cake on Friday… but this is really tempting too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Stephanie — November 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Oh, man! If I only had more time for Thanksgiving dessert table – this is certainly one I would try.

We Are Not Martha — November 24, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Oooh this cake looks so ooey gooey and delicious! I wish there weren’t already so many desserts coming to my Thanksgiving table because I’d totally make this!

Sues

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — November 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm

This looks super delicious and your photos look great too! Happy Thanksgiving to you and hubby!

Shannon — November 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

ooooh, my, i must try this 🙂 happy thanksgiving!!

Nutmeg Nanny — November 28, 2010 at 10:14 pm

What a fabulous recipe! All the flavors sound delicious to me.

Shandra — November 29, 2010 at 4:45 am

This looks amazing! It looks so moisty yum, I should try to make this sometime, Love your blog! this is my first comment for you so I thought I’d show some appreciation for your blog, because I’ve been drooling over all your recipes for a while
    Shandra-http://shandrita.tumblr.com/

"pup" — November 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Your photos are beautiful! The pictures I took of the actual cake didn’t look to appealing, the photos I took of the bite sized cake bites looked pretty though lol
    Good job!!

freefoodboston — December 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

What a great recipe! You totally had me at caramel/pecan/cranberry topping.

Sophie — January 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

Just finally made this cake and it is astoundingly good! Truly the best dessert I’ve had in…oh, a very long time. Thank you for your post!

Nancy Blume-Watson — November 30, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I tried to be good, I really did! This cake was so delicious, I not only had seconds, I had a piece for breakfast the next day and for a snack later that day. This one goes on my Christmas menu!

• beantownbaker — December 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

I doubled the recipe this time and you’ll remember the middle didn’t quite bake through. It also spilled over a bit, so next time, I’ll put a pan under the cake in the oven.