Dulce de Leche in the Crockpot

Hubby loves all things caramel, so I knew that I had to try this recipe for him at some point. Dulce de Leche is a milk-based caramel that goes great over ice cream, with apple slices, or just straight off a spoon.

I have made dulce de leche for some cupcakes in the past using a stove top method to heat the sweetened condensed milk. It turned out great, but this time I wanted to try it in the crockpot. I popped two cans in the crockpot, filled it with water, and set it on low before bed one night. Nine hours later, I turned it off and removed the cans. Once they were cool to the touch, I opened them to find this golden delicious caramel. I’ve been storing it in the fridge and we have been thoroughly enjoying the awesomeness that happened while we were asleep.

Print Save

Dulce de Leche in the Crockpot

Ingredients:

2 cans sweetened condensed milk
water

Directions:

Remove labels from cans and place in crockpot. Fill crockpot to the top with water.

Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours. Let the cans cool in the crockpot for a few hours.

Remove cans from crockpot and allow to cool to the touch before opening the cans.

Recipe as seen on Cupcake Project, originally from A Year of Slowcooking

6 Responses to “Homemade Chicken Broth and Veggie Chicken Soup in the Crockpot”

Kristen - Dine & Dish — June 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm

This is brilliant. What an informative post! I need to use my crockpot more often… poor thing is so ignored.

Kristen - Dine & Dish — June 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Jen — June 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I love my crockpot. Most people think they should only be used in the winter, but I love using mine in the summertime because then your kitchen doesn’t get hot and you still have a hot meal ready when you get home from work!

Sarah — June 16, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I have been in love with Stephanie O’Dea’s crockpot blog for a few years now and cook from it all the time. It was so exciting to see that you were linking back to her in this post – it’s like the corners of my culinary universe have collided into deliciousness! I highly recommend Stephanie’s blog and book for those who are looking to utilize the crockpot more often.

Memória — June 17, 2010 at 4:00 am

I’ve always wanted to make a chicken stock like this. (I thought that chicken broth involved the chicken meat while the stock involves the carcass. I could be wrong since I just started cooking over a year ago.) Anyway, thanks for sharing this recipe!

Anonymous — December 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I’m excited to try this recipe. I love homemade soup and love your idea omn how to freeze it!!