Eggplant Parmesan

Today I’m featuring another recipe from Hubby’s mother. Hubby loves eggplant parm. It’s another one of the things his mom usually makes for us when we’re in town because she knows how much he loves it. Recently, we requested the recipe from her and Hubby made it at home all by himself.

Hubby likes to claim this is a healthy recipe since it’s vegetarian. I would not call this healthy, but it sure is delicious. Hubby used Panko bread crumbs because that’s all I keep in the house. I really this they give a much better texture than regular bread crumbs. If you wanted, you could make this with meat sauce if you feel like it needs some meat. Eggplant is a very meaty vegetables, so I think it’s fine without it.

This recipe also freezes really well. I wish I had thought of that back when we did our kitchen renovation and stocked up on frozen food. Since this makes a whole casserole dish, we ate it for leftovers all week. But if you don’t like leftovers, just portion it out into individual tupperware containers and freeze it after it has cooled completely.

Print Save

Eggplant Parmesan

Yield: 12 servings

Sauce (1 large jar or homemade)
1.5 lb. eggplant, look for long slender firm eggplant
2 eggs, beaten
1.5 cups Panko cread crumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
Cooking oil
1 lb. mozz shredded or thinly sliced
1/4 cup parmesan grated

Preheat oven to 425.

Peel eggplant and slice about 1/4 inch thick. Dip into egg and let it drip off, then into bread crumbs. Set aside on a sheet of waxed paper.

Heat a jelly roll pan with enough oil to cover the bottom in the oven. When hot, add eggplant but see sure not to over-crowd the pan. Cook until nice and brown and crispy, then turn. Drain on paper towels.

Turn oven to 400.

Layer in a 13x9 baking dish 1/3 sauce, 1/2 eggplant, 1/2 mozzarella cheese, repeat, end with last 1/3 sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top.

Bake uncovered for 15-20 min.

Recipe from Hubby's mom

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

14 Responses to “Chicken Pot Pie with Cream Cheese and Chive Biscuits”

Shannon — March 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

love your adaptations- and i agree, one-pot meals usually need more veggies!

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

Not that this meal is in any way healthy, but at least bumping up the veggies (and the servings) reduces the amount of pure indulgence per serving…

Sues — March 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Love all the changes you made to this! And I agree- the more veggies, the merrier 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 25th, 2013 @ 3:45 pm

Glad I’m not the only one!

Megan — March 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I love that idea to just throw extra veggies in. I always have some leftover unused veggies going bad in the fridge after I’ve used some for a recipe. The biscuits on this look amazing.

Wendy — March 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm

This looks rich and satisfying. I love the idea of biscuits on top rather than pie crust. Cream cheese chive biscuits sound especially delicious!

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I definitely plan to make these biscuits again some time. They’d be delicious even without the creamy pot pie filling under them.

Nutmeg Nanny — March 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

I love the thought of throwing the extra veggies in, i think a lot of people are hesitant to do so. This looks so delicious and satisfying 🙂

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

Yea when it comes to cooking, I figure there’s no harm in playing with recipes. Baking is another story…

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

My boyfriend, who eats a good portion of the overall meals I cook plus leftovers, hates veggies. This is a problem, because I don’t like food going bad but I can’t eat it all myself. I love recipes like this because it’d probably be SO tasty, he’d hardly even notice the abundance of green. Or he’d pick the peas out. Who knows.

• beantownbaker — March 26th, 2013 @ 8:16 pm

I can’t imagine hating veggies… But I agree, I think he’d hardly notice the veggies in this. It’s that creamy and delicious.

scott — March 27, 2013 at 12:06 pm

This recipe looks delicious. Do you know the nutritional values? If you post it on they will calculate it for you and you can get paid for posting recipes.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 28, 2013 at 6:15 am

I love that you topped this off with biscuits instead of the traditional flaky crust!

• beantownbaker — March 28th, 2013 @ 6:53 am

Biscuits are always the right answer 😉