Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Biscuits and gravy is one of those foods that just reminds me of home. My dad used to make this for us on the weekends. When I first met Hubby, he had no idea what biscuits and gravy were. Crazy Northeasterner! He fell in love the first time he had my dad’s biscuits and gravy. And it’s so simple to throw together when you’re half asleep on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

I like to use the flaky buttermilk store bought biscuits. You could definitely make your own from scratch if you wanted. We also like our gravy pretty thick. Feel free to add more milk to thin out your gravy if you prefer.

Print Save

Biscuits and Sausage Gravy

Yield: 4

Ingredients:

1 pkg sausage
2 cups milk
3 Tbsp flour
fresh ground pepper
8 biscuits

Directions:

While biscuits are baking, make sausage gravy.

Brown sausage in a skillet. Add milk and flour to pan and whisk together to form a gravy. Add more milk to thin the consistency out, more flour to thicken the consistency. Season with pepper to taste.

Serve gravy over biscuits.

Recipe from my dad

Check out my week of Family Favorites here.

7 Responses to “12 Days of Cookies – The Great Sugar Cookie Debate”

Joelen — December 9, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Adorable cookies!

Katie — December 10, 2008 at 1:36 am

I LOVE this! Comparison posts are my favorite and this is perfect timing with Christmas!!

Jen — December 10, 2008 at 1:56 am

Thanks. I really enjoyed doing the comparison!

CB — December 10, 2008 at 7:17 pm

Fun post! I loved Dorie’s recipe but I’ll have to try the other 2. Yum!
    /Clara

Susan from Food Blogga — December 12, 2008 at 1:07 pm

That’s funny. We only ever made sugar cookies at Xmas time too. Those poor little Easter Bunnies and Halloween pumpkin cut-out just collected dust in the cupboard. Yours look great; and I’m with your aunt. I like them big and soft. 🙂

Ashlee Wetherington — December 18, 2008 at 4:05 am

W-O-W! My cookies compared to Dorie’s?! I’m super floored 🙂 Thanks for including mine in your comparison!

AmyRuth — January 4, 2009 at 1:00 am

Hey I love that you compared recipes. I made a gazillion wedding cake cookies and used Nancy Baggett’s sugar cookie recipe which worked really well for cut out cookies and they taste good. Very buttery. I was surprised. What a fun party idea.
    AmyRuth