Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Brownies

Fall has definitely arrived! With all the delicious soups, chili, and baking with apples and pumpkin, it’s by far the most fun food season. These bars have popped up all over the Internet after showing up in Cara’s blog two years ago. Hubby has been asking for these bars for about two weeks now. With the shortage of canned pumpkin going on right now, I couldn’t make these until now because I just couldn’t find canned pumpkin!

I made these when we had some overnight guests and everyone loved them. We got impatient and cut them after they had cooled for about a hour. They hadn’t been chilled so they were still a bit gooey and warm. They’re delicious at this point and also after they’ve been chilled (the pumpkin flavor really shines once they’ve chilled).

I made a few adjustments to Cara’s recipe. One of the bloggers who made these said she wished there was more of the pumpkin mixture, so I upped that part of the recipe. Cara’s original recipe called for 6 oz of cream cheese and since a block of cream cheese is 8 oz, I just adjusted the other ingredients of the cheesecake portion so that it would use a full block of cream cheese. My adjustments are shown below.

I also don’t tend to think of pumpkin and chocolate together. It seems to me that white chocolate or cream cheese frosting are natural partners with pumpkin. The more I thought about it, the more I thought that dark chocolate would pair with pumpkin better than milk chocolate. So in the brownie portion of these bars, I used some dark cocoa.

Print Save

2 Tbsp + 2 tsp flour
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 tsp pure vanilla
2/3 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp ground ginger
1/3 tsp ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x8" square metal baking pan.

Beat together melted butter, sugar, and vanilla, then beat in eggs one at a time. Combine dry ingredients and then gradually stir into butter mixture with a wooden spoon. In separate bowl, beat together cheesecake batter ingredients.

Spread about 2/3 of chocolate batter into prepared pan, and spoon cheesecake batter over. Dollop remaining brownie batter over cheesecake batter. Swirl the batters together by running a butter knife back and forth through the pan.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until center is set. Cool completely on wire rack and chill before cutting and serving.

Original Beantown Baker Recipe, inspired by Cara's Cravings

20 Responses to “Cookie Dough Brownies”

stephchows — December 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm

this is such a fantastic idea!! I would make cookie dough batter with my friends in middle school… leave out the eggs, and just eat it with a spoon LOL so good!

nutmegnanny — December 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This looks awesome! Since I’m a huge fan of cookie dough I know I will love this recipe 🙂

Lauren — December 7, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Ha – my husband loves the dough more than the cookie as well. I starred these – DEFINITELY making them soon.

We Are Not Martha — December 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Oooh these look delicious!! And combine the best of 2 worlds 🙂

laurasrecipecollection — December 8, 2009 at 12:17 am

holy cow! cookie dough + brownie? I think I’m in heaven

Justin — December 8, 2009 at 4:21 am

what a cool idea for the cookie dough layer. i used to make raw cookie dough (with egg beaters) and keep it in the freezer just for snacking

oneordinaryday — December 8, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Yum. I made a similar recipe but I put a thin chocolate ganache on top. It’s one of the best recipes I’ve posted, but I’m a sucker for that raw dough.

I think I might have to agree with your bro and hubby. I love chocolate chip cookies, but it’s the dough that makes me weak in the knees! This recipe is right up my alley.

Jelli Bean — December 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm

These look great! I also let my husband lick the beaters, but occasionally I slink behind the counter beside the sink and keep all the batter for myself. He’s usually too involved with TV to even notice.

Ingrid — December 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm

LOL, oh my gosh! I just noticed this had a anti-Weight Watchers label. How funny!

Those look insanely good!!Thanks for sharing the recipe!

e — December 11, 2009 at 12:42 pm

My high school made cookie dough covered brownies back in the day. They had a cult following and always sold out before the last lunch period. I never understood why you needed the brownie when a spoon works just fine.

laquillen — December 11, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Oh man. So sinful. Reminds me of the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream “Half Baked. Half brownie, half cookie dough. I can’t say no to that stuff.

whatwelovemost — December 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Yummmm!! Oh my goodnessIsao adore cookie dough… This combination is beautiful!

Peggy — December 13, 2009 at 11:46 am

sounds delicious!

Miss Yunks — December 15, 2009 at 5:30 pm

these brownies looked so good I tried to make them myself! I love cookie dough AND brownies – perfect combo! Yours look much better of course. Here are mine: http://foodiesatworkdotcom.blogspot.com/2009/12/cookie-dough-brownies.html

Liesl — December 15, 2009 at 6:01 pm

YUM! These sound great!

A & W — December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

AHHHH these look amaaazzzinnngggg. A little late in finding these but yeah I’m gonna need to make them.

A & W — December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

bcallegra — January 11, 2010 at 12:27 am

I just made these and they got rave reviews at work! Definitely a keeper – thanks, as always, for sharing a great recipe and photos!

Jade — April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm

The best of both worlds!! These look awesome.

PIYALI CHATTERJEE — October 19, 2016 at 12:20 am