Banana Split Cupcake

Cupcake Hero is BACK! This is one of the first blogging events I ever participated in. After a 9-month or so hiatus, CB has brought it back for all of us cupcake fans out there. This month’s ingredient is banana, which was a shocking selection since CB does NOT like banana. I struggled all month to think of a creative use of banana in a cupcake. Finally, on a restless night, I came up with this idea.

As you know, a classic Banana Split has a split banana, vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream, topped with pineapple, strawberry, and chocolate. Then the whole thing is topped with chopped nuts, whipped cream, and of course a cherry.

These cupcakes are so freaking cute! I can’t wait to make them again. They taste just like a banana split with the added bonus of having some cake in it! I opted to leave the nuts and whipped cream out, but you could definitely add those if you wanted to.

First I started with some Martha Stewart yellow buttermilk cupcakes. They are my current go-to white cupcake. Although the recipe makes a TON of cupcakes! Then I used my round cookie cutter to cut out the center of the cupcake.

Next I added a slice of banana.

On top of that I added some mushed up strawberries. You could also use strawberry ice cream topping, but I just took some frozen strawberries, thawed them out, put them in a ziplock bag and mushed them by hand.

Then I topped the strawberry with another banana slice. At this point I realized I wouldn’t need the top of the cupcake that I had cut out. So I ate it. Tasty!

For the frosting, I used the pineapple cream cheese frosting that I’ve made tons of times, except I bumped up the amount of pineapple in it. Then I got it really cold by putting it in the freezer for about an hour so that I could scoop it with my cookie scoop to make it look like ice cream.

Next I drizzled some pourable chocolate ganache over the top of the frosting.

Lastly I topped with a cherry.

I wanted to do a shot of the inside of the cupcake. It’s quite messy in there, but that is definitely the way a banana split looks after you take the first bite.

11 Responses to “Chocolate Oatmeal Almost Candy Bars”

Brisbane Baker — March 24, 2010 at 11:57 am

Wow, you’re going to end up with a whole lotta bars by the end of the week 😀

Yum! Love this recipe 🙂

yumventures — March 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I love when ingredients don’t sound like they would be good, but come together in an amazing way! These look lovely.

Valen — March 24, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I really enjoy your blog, lots of great photos and recipes! These look so good! I love oats, chocolate, and raisins, but have never combined all three.

Memória — March 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm

These bars look fantastic and full of flavor. I’m bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

themilkmanswife — March 24, 2010 at 11:40 pm

These sound wonderful! I’m not huge on raisins either but it sounds like they really work here. I’ll have to try these! 🙂

Jen — March 25, 2010 at 12:52 am

This looks really great but I don’t think I can do the raisins–maybe I would make this and then I could give it to other people instead of eating it all myself!

Kelly — March 25, 2010 at 1:04 am

Who is getting to eat all these amazing creations? Those ingredients sound delicious to me so I can only imagine the combined taste!

Jen — March 25, 2010 at 1:08 am

Ha Kelly! My husband and I take the baked goods to work with us. I am also the girl who always brings a dessert to any gathering. Everyone knows that if we’re hanging out, I’ll probably have desserts in hand. I usually only have about one of whatever I make (hey, I have to taste test my food!)

Katherine Martin — March 25, 2010 at 2:19 am

I am soooo making my housemates make me these for my birthday. If they don’t, I’ll just make them this weekend!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

o — September 17, 2013 at 4:24 am

How many grams in a stick of butter?

• beantownbaker — September 17th, 2013 @ 7:30 am