Square Cake Balls

My sisters and I were at Michaels grabbing supplies to make cake balls (which I’ve already blogged about. twice.) That’s where we saw the Wilton square brownie pan. We were discussing how silly it would be to buy the pan just to make square brownies. Wouldn’t it be easier to just make brownies as usual in a pan and then cut them? Maybe people have issues cutting straight? The only reason we could think to actually make brownies in this pan would be to get the crusty goodness of the edges in every brownie. Then we decided we could use the pan to make square cake balls.

So on a whim, I bought the pan we had just been ridiculing. But it did make some nice looking square cake balls.

We cheated on these because we just used a cake that my family had bought to celebrate my birthday. For some reason none of us were in the mood for cake (maybe because my sister had made about 12 dozen cookies the night before), so we figured the ratio of cake to frosting would probably be about right for cake balls.

Here’s my beautiful cake. And, no it doesn’t belong on Cake Wrecks, that’s what they asked to be written on it. All of my siblings and I have nicknames for each other. Most of them are just the name followed by i-poo. So my nickname is Jenn-i-poo. Except you say it with a French sort of accent. Anyways, that’s my cake that we smashed up (with our hands!) to make the insides of the cake balls.

We then filled the square brownie pan with the cake mixture and popped it in the freezer to let the mix set. Then we popped the squares out and dipped them in almond bark and decorated with sprinkles. It was a fun afternoon in the kitchen. We sent most of these guys to work with my mom and her coworkers couldn’t believe they were homemade.

Bookmark and Share

31 Responses to “Kentucky Butter Cake”

Megan — May 1, 2013 at 7:04 am

This sounds amazing! I’d be shocked if the people you manage don’t think you’re the best boss ever!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 7:56 am

Ha, I’m ok with bribing them with baked goods into feeling that way 🙂

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 1, 2013 at 7:40 am

I wish my boss would do something like this for us. This cake sounds phenomenal! Anything that tastes like a donut gets an A+ from me!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 7:57 am

I had a boss once who would bring a store bought cake and cut it into the same number of pieces as there were people at the meeting. And he made us sing. It was horrible.

Erica @ In and Around Town — May 1, 2013 at 8:38 am

Definitely the best boss when you get homemade cakes that have been compared to a glazed donut! Congrats!!

• beantownbaker — May 1st, 2013 @ 9:05 am

Thanks 🙂 I am pretty lucky in that my team is pretty awesome too.

Tracy {Pale Yellow} — May 1, 2013 at 11:03 am

Congratulations on the promotion! Your team sounds lucky to have you and this cake looks gorgeous!

Jill — May 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Congratulations on the promotion!! This looks and sounds delicious!

chelsea @ serves two — May 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm

oh my! a giant glazed donut in cake form??!! yes please! i am sort of curious though as to why it’s called a kentucky butter cake 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 9:04 am

I have no idea why it’s called Kentucky butter cake. I did a quick Google search and it doesn’t look like anyone knows.

Sarah C — May 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’m glad there’s no explanation as to why it’s called a Kentucky Butter Cake, because I am making this for a themed food fest at work next week, and I’m changing it to Hawaiian Butter Cake so that I don’t have to find another recipe. 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

I like the way you work 🙂

Kathy — May 2, 2013 at 10:50 am

The staff meeting treat sounds like a regular monthly blog post…cant wait to see what is on deck next month

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

For sure! I have already started asking my team members who have May birthdays about what they’d like. One said anything with chocolate. One said anything but chocolate. So that’s going to be a challenge! Luckily I’m the only June birthday so I’m going to go all out for June!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — May 2, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ever seen The Office? Hehe… they looove birthday parties! And that’s so sweet that you’re acknowledging your workers like that. I’m sure you’re a great boss!

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Ha – if only we could all have parties like they do on The Office…

Shannon — May 2, 2013 at 2:48 pm

best boss ever 🙂 this looks fantastic!! we have birthday buddies that we bring cake for, and it’s a pretty awesome tradition 🙂

• beantownbaker — May 2nd, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Oh I like the birthday buddies idea! I’m not sure that would work for my team since it’s ~80% guys… I do joke that everyone needs a buddy cause sometimes I look around and can’t tell who we’re missing. It would be a lot easier to just ask if everyone’s buddy was here like when we were kids on field trips.

Brooke Schweers — May 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Yum! Looks devine! Such a perfect looking cake and the glaze makes it look extra shiny and pretty!

Nutmeg Nanny — May 4, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Oh, this is such a perfect looking cake 🙂

Laura Dembowski — May 5, 2013 at 11:13 am

Oh, I so want a slice of this! Love cakes that are soaked with syrup. So yummy!

Angie — May 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm

i made this on Friday for a brunch on Saturday. It was delicious and I got lots of compliments! I was surprised when i made it because there were no instructions about adding the butter to the batter. I assumed that the butter should be softened and mixed in, but I would’ve expected it to be mixed in earlier so that it would incorporate more fully. You might consider adding clarification to that step.

• beantownbaker — May 6th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

Glad you enjoyed the cake. The second sentence in the second step talks about adding the butter. Are the instructions confusing?

ErinsFoodFiles — May 6, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I think I’ve seen this recipe elsewhere on the interwebs… (of course my eye is drawn to anything Kentucky, my home state!) Glad to hear it’s so good!

• beantownbaker — May 6th, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

It’s definitely out there on the web! I couldn’t find any info about why it’s called Kentucky Butter Cake though. Do you know anything about it? Do you guys eat it in Kentucky?

claire — May 10, 2013 at 2:11 pm

So the glaze is on the bottom of the cake correct? You don’t reserve any to pour over the top?

• beantownbaker — May 13th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Yep, you pour it all in to the bottom of the cake while it’s in the pan.

Maggie Wells — September 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Hi there! Wonderful cake. Just wondering — did you let the cake sit overnight with the syrup soaking?

• beantownbaker — September 10th, 2013 @ 7:58 am

Yep, I let the cake sit overnight after adding the syrup.