Square Cake Balls

My sisters and I were at Michaels grabbing supplies to make cake balls (which I’ve already blogged about. twice.) That’s where we saw the Wilton square brownie pan. We were discussing how silly it would be to buy the pan just to make square brownies. Wouldn’t it be easier to just make brownies as usual in a pan and then cut them? Maybe people have issues cutting straight? The only reason we could think to actually make brownies in this pan would be to get the crusty goodness of the edges in every brownie. Then we decided we could use the pan to make square cake balls.

So on a whim, I bought the pan we had just been ridiculing. But it did make some nice looking square cake balls.

We cheated on these because we just used a cake that my family had bought to celebrate my birthday. For some reason none of us were in the mood for cake (maybe because my sister had made about 12 dozen cookies the night before), so we figured the ratio of cake to frosting would probably be about right for cake balls.

Here’s my beautiful cake. And, no it doesn’t belong on Cake Wrecks, that’s what they asked to be written on it. All of my siblings and I have nicknames for each other. Most of them are just the name followed by i-poo. So my nickname is Jenn-i-poo. Except you say it with a French sort of accent. Anyways, that’s my cake that we smashed up (with our hands!) to make the insides of the cake balls.

We then filled the square brownie pan with the cake mixture and popped it in the freezer to let the mix set. Then we popped the squares out and dipped them in almond bark and decorated with sprinkles. It was a fun afternoon in the kitchen. We sent most of these guys to work with my mom and her coworkers couldn’t believe they were homemade.

Bookmark and Share

12 Responses to “Red Velvet Cupcakes & My New Favorite Way to Frost Cupcakes”

Bridget — February 19, 2009 at 5:22 pm

You chose a great recipe! I’m glad you liked it. Did your friend like the recipe from Smitten Kitchen? I liked that one too, but it was a little more chocolately than I was looking for.

Sara Therese — February 19, 2009 at 5:25 pm

What a cool way to frost! That is so nifty – can’t wait to try. Thanks, Jen!

Jen — February 19, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Amy said her sister enjoyed them so they seemed to be well received. I wanted something bright red and without a ton of food coloring. Those are the main reasons I chose the recipe I did. Then I saw your comparison post while the cupcakes were in the oven, I saw your post and it reassured my choice!

kathleen & tom — February 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Ooooooh brown sugar cream cheese frosting! I’m intrigued.

Those look great!

kathleen & tom — February 19, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Ooooooh brown sugar cream cheese frosting! I’m intrigued.

Those look great!

Cathy — February 19, 2009 at 6:38 pm

this looks great! I’ll have to try this to bring to work because my CWs only eat CMR’s red velvet cake!

Colleen — February 20, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Ooh that frosting technique looks amazing! Give you most frosting to eat, too!

Sheila60526 — February 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm

That gives me an idea! What if I put something else in the cone? Maybe a melted chocolate or something. Hmmm have to think about that. Beautiful post.

Jen — February 20, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Yep Sheila – I do that all the time. If you look at the other cupcakes in my blog, I’ve stuffed bananas, peanut butter, jams etc in cupcakes. It’s probably my favorite way to make a cupcake!

Jennifer — February 26, 2009 at 10:39 pm

I love removing the cone from my cupcakes as well. More yummy frosting!! 🙂

CB — March 7, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Oooh I’ll have to try out this red velvet recipe and compare too. I think it’s so interesting that every RV recipe that is slightly different but basically the same can give you different taste results. Love the new frost method!
    /Clara

Kelsey — August 2, 2010 at 5:22 am

So…I realize I’m seriously late to the party, but I’m so glad you like the red velvet recipe! The frosting sounds delish 🙂