It was a very exciting night in our house. We came home to a fully functioning kitchen AND I got some belated birthday gifts in the mail (thanks Dad!). Included in the package from my dad was Martha Stewart’s new cupcake book. I knew it was a sign that I needed to make cupcakes to break in my new stove.

I decided to go with the buttermilk cupcakes since I had buttermilk in the fridge. These cupcakes might become my go-to non-chocolate cupcake. They are very tender and have a great flavor.

I topped them with the chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream. I’m a huge fan of SMBC, and have never tried the chocolate variation before. This frosting has a very subtle chocolate flavor that paired nicely with the cupcake (this frosting would also be great on chocolate cupcakes).

I decided to use some of my colored cupcake liners to brighten things up a bit. I ended up getting 3 dozen cupcakes from this recipe. I made a half batch of the frosting and it frosted 31 of my cupcakes. That’s ok though because we just “taste tested” the naked ones.

I also wanted to share my new cupcake container. I used to have the Wilton one which is somewhat big and awkward and it only holds 12 cupcakes. The bigger problem is that it wouldn’t fit into our new cabinets (before the renovation, I just kept it on top of the cabinets). But I found this double decker one at Container Store and it’s perfect. Not only does it fit in our cabinets, it also holds two dozen cupcakes. And since the layers snap together, if you only had 1 dozen cupcakes, it would work great for that too. We both agree this cupcake carrier is much better than the old one.

Yellow Buttermilk Cupcakes – from MarthaStewart.com (the same recipe is in the cookbook) – makes 36 cupcakes
3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar
5 large whole eggs plus 3 egg yolks, room temperature
2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium. Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add yolks, and beat until thoroughly combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of buttermilk, and beating until combined after each. Beat in vanilla.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 10 minutes; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.

Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream – from MarthaStewart.com – I made a 1/2 batch of this since I had 3 egg yolks left from the cupcakes. Here is the full batch recipe which makes 4 cups
5 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt

Combine egg whites, and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar has dissolved and whites are hot to the touch, 5 to 7 minutes.

Transfer bowl to the electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.

At low speed, add butter to egg whites, and beat until smooth. Add vanilla, chocolate, and salt, and continue mixing until incorporated.

Bookmark and Share

12 Responses to “It’s good to be back in the kitchen!! Martha Stewart’s Buttermilk Cupcakes with Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream”

Jigginjessica — July 10, 2009 at 12:47 pm

These look and sounds great! Also thanks for the link to the cupcake carrier! I’ve been wanting to buy one for awhile now but didn’t like that Wilton’s only held 12.

Cate — July 10, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Those paper cupcake liners are so pretty! I keep seeing recipes from that book and I really want to get myself a copy!
    Do you think you could add a few extra ounces of chocolate to the frosting without messing up the texture?

Erin — July 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just posted cupcakes from that book today too! And I also have the Wilton cupcake carrier. Not to thrilled with it either, but I got it because I needed something to carry a huge sheet cake in. I would love a double decker.

Your cupcakes look great, as always! I need to work on my frosting skills. (Hence the reason I posted a recipe that could be frosted in a “rustic” style!)

Jen — July 10, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Jessica – Definitely check out that carrier. Not sure if you guys have a Container Store, but I think BB&B carries it now too.

Cate – I’m not sure if more chocolate would ruin the texture… Possibly. I was underwhelmed when I tasted the frosting by itself, but when it was on the cupcake, it was really good. The subtle flavor paired really well with this cupcake. I just really prefer my chocolate frosting to be really chocolatey!

Erin – Thanks! I’m always try to improve my skills. This was the first time I’ve tried the rosette. I usually pipe from the outside in.

Ingrid — July 10, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Yay, for packages in the mail and new kitchens!

I like how you frosted the cupcakes, very pretty. I haven’t made SMBC yet but I’m gonna soon. Sounds good!

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

Jennifer — July 11, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I need that cupcake carrier!! Thanks for the link to it!! Ive been on the out look for a great one for a while!

These are great cupcakes! Well done!!

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

These look awesome! What icing tip did you use, if you don’t mind me asking?

Jen — July 13, 2009 at 3:39 pm

I used my trusty old 1M tip for the frosting.

craftybitch — July 13, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Awesome, thank you!

Scott W. — July 23, 2009 at 12:34 am

The frosting is so delicate looking. Just the way Martha Stewart would like it.

Little Ewe — July 30, 2009 at 11:59 am

love the recioes and will definately try them but as i live in the uk please could you give me imperial measures rather than cupa and sticks thanks:)
    Fiona

articia — July 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm

when I make chocolate SMBC I actually use cocoa powder. I think it gives it a stronger chocolate flavor without messing with the texture. Maybe you could try adding some cocoa powder if the melted chocolate doesn’t taste bold enough.

also, I saw those snap n’ stack cupcake carriers at my local Meijer and bought 2. they weren’t cheap so as I was driving home I was deciding if I was going to regret spending nearly $50 on the 2 of them, but I couldn’t be happier with them. they’re come in *so* handy.