Blondies

Hubby and I decided to send baked goods to our moms on Mother’s Day this year. Of course I was happy to help. I wanted to make something that would travel well and (of course) something I’ve never made. Since we were preparing for our kitchen renovation at the time, I also wanted to use up some of the random half bags of cookie mix ins.

Blondies fit my requirements perfectly. This blondie recipe is pretty well known. I made one batch with just dark chocolate M&Ms and another batch with some white chocolate chips, toffee bits, and chopped walnuts. Both batches turned out great and the one with the white chips turned out better than I expected. That combination of mix-ins tasted like butterscotch.

Blondies – from Blonde Ambition in the Kitchen

6-7 TBS butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder (optional, creates lighter blondie texture)

“Add in” (see below)

Preheat oven to 350.
Line an 8×8 pan with foil and lightly spray with PAM.
In a large microwave safe mixing bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool for 5 mintues. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour and baking powder (if using). Mix in any additions (some ideas below).

Pour into prepared pan and use a greased spatula to evenly spread mixture in pan and level the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. (I baked for 22 minutes)Cool on rack before cutting.

Add in ideas:
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate or butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds
1/2 cup M&M candies1/2 chopped Reese’s PB cups
1/4 cup toffee pieces
1/2 tsp mint extract in addition to, or in the place of vanilla extract

8 Responses to “Superbowl Dessert Sneak Peak”

admin — February 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

such a cute idea!

Jeanette — February 6, 2010 at 8:51 pm

You are so creative!

Carlos — February 6, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Woohoo can’t wait for the party!

A Scientist in the Kitchen — February 7, 2010 at 7:13 am

I’m having my first Superbowl Sunday ever, and I can’t wait for the food! Did I say I’m also having my first snow? 🙂

Gay

Sunshine — February 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

My sister and I did something similar last night. We got a box of white cake mix, followed the instructions, separated it into 2 bowls, and dyed one bowl a dark blue and the other black. After baking, we dyed a bowl of frosting yellow for the black cupcakes and left the rest white. They look pretty cool, and we can’t wait for the family to see it. Next time, I’m going to try the team logos. Thanks for the good idea.

Cookie is my hero! — February 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Wow, let those creative juices flow! I like this idea ALOT :p

The Utts — September 6, 2010 at 12:22 am

What brand of candy melts did you use? I’m having a hard time finding the dark blue. I am wondering if I can take the light blue ones and tint them darker.

Jen — September 12, 2010 at 1:00 am

The Utts – I found the dark blue candy melts at AC Moore about a year ago. I know Wilton doesn’t make dark blue. I found them online as well since I can’t remember what brand they were. Here’s a link to where you can order some online.