Blondies

Hubby and I decided to send baked goods to our moms on Mother’s Day this year. Of course I was happy to help. I wanted to make something that would travel well and (of course) something I’ve never made. Since we were preparing for our kitchen renovation at the time, I also wanted to use up some of the random half bags of cookie mix ins.

Blondies fit my requirements perfectly. This blondie recipe is pretty well known. I made one batch with just dark chocolate M&Ms and another batch with some white chocolate chips, toffee bits, and chopped walnuts. Both batches turned out great and the one with the white chips turned out better than I expected. That combination of mix-ins tasted like butterscotch.

Blondies – from Blonde Ambition in the Kitchen

6-7 TBS butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder (optional, creates lighter blondie texture)

“Add in” (see below)

Preheat oven to 350.
Line an 8×8 pan with foil and lightly spray with PAM.
In a large microwave safe mixing bowl melt the butter. Allow to cool for 5 mintues. Mix the brown sugar with the melted butter and beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour and baking powder (if using). Mix in any additions (some ideas below).

Pour into prepared pan and use a greased spatula to evenly spread mixture in pan and level the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle. (I baked for 22 minutes)Cool on rack before cutting.

Add in ideas:
1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate or butterscotch chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds
1/2 cup M&M candies1/2 chopped Reese’s PB cups
1/4 cup toffee pieces
1/2 tsp mint extract in addition to, or in the place of vanilla extract

12 Responses to “S’mores Brownies”

Boston Food Diary — October 6, 2010 at 1:07 pm

whoa…I think I’m speechless! I have seen S’mores Brownies before, I have even tasted them- in well known restaurants- and these look 100% better and tastier! Well done- I might be knocking on your door for a taste!!!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:54 pm

here is another smores recipe I just saw… if you are looking for more smores recipes!

vickdn — October 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

it would help if I gave you the link…. lol enjoy!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — October 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

I just saw your photos and seriously almost drooled. You never cease to amaze me Jen!

Jen — October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

vickdn – I saw that smores biscotti this morning! Looks great.

Fun and Fearless – don’t get any drool on your monitor!

Eliana — October 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm

I’m not surpsied everyone at your work loved these. They look amazing!

newlywed — October 6, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Wow! These look like a great excuse to buy a kitchen torch!

Lindsay — October 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yum! I love love love s’mores. I even make them in the winter using the gas stove, so this recipe is definitely going to make it on my list of ones to try 🙂

kitchenmisfit — October 10, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to make them!

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

I love S’mores brownies! The combination of all the flavors, in a less messy bar form, make me smile 🙂

nutmegnanny — October 12, 2010 at 2:38 am

stacey — January 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’m making them right now..It seemed that during cooking one row of my graham crackers started to rise to the surface of the brownies…and the center is still undercooked but the edges are cooked.. I hope they turn out ok…They look awesome