Brownie Pops

We threw a surprise birthday party for Hubby’s mom last weekend. It was a lot of fun and I think she was completely surprised – I’m pretty sure she’ll never trust us again! I had seen these in my Google Reader some time ago and knew they’d be perfect for the party.

So first I set out to find the molds. The Michaels nearby didn’t have the pan, so I decided to just order it online (NOTE: since then, I have seen them at my Michaels). Once the pans came (I ordered two), I did a test batch and froze them. I’m glad I did the test batch. It proved that the brownies would freeze well and also reinforced my love for Ina’s brownies.

I then made the full batch of brownies about two weeks before the party and froze them. Then the day of the party, Hubby and I dipped them in the candy melts and sprinkles. We had a nice system going. He would put the sticks in then I’d dip the tops and add the sprinkles. I didn’t dip directly into the sprinkles because I had 80 pops. Instead I just sprinkled a few sprinkles on the tops (as you can see in the pictures, the few that were dipped directly into the sprinkles took on a LOT of sprinkles!).

I used green, yellow and chocolate sprinkles to go with the color scheme I had used in the invitations that I designed. To display the pops, I got a yellow and a green flower pot from Michaels and a foam insert used for silk flowers. This worked well since the brownie pops were quite top heavy. Without the support, they probably would have fallen or tipped over.

These were a big hit at the party. You really can’t go wrong with this recipe of Ina’s. It’s actually the same base recipe as the one for the Oreo brownies that I love. These brownies are amazing and are definitely my go to brownie recipe.

Heavenly Chocolate Brownies on a Stick – from The Cupcakery – Adapted from Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies – this made 80 brownie pops for me
1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs – I used 7 large eggs since I had large eggs on hand
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder I used instant espresso powder because that’s what I had on hand2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups diced walnut pieces (optional) – I omitted due to allergies in the family

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees

For this project I am using the brownie pop mold pan. For regular brownies which can be cut out with fun cookie cutter shapes, grease and flour a 13 x 18 x 1 1/2-inch pan.

Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly.

Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar.

Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt.

Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts (optional) and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter.

Spray mold with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the batter into prepared mold. I used a cookie scoop to portion the batter. Be careful not to overfill the molds or else it’ll overflow some and your pops will look like hats.

Place the mold(s) onto a cookie sheet and put into preheated oven. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Do not over-bake! Mine took the full 30 minutes. To cool them, I flipped them directly only a cooling rack by holding the rack on top of the mold and then flipping them out. Then I threw the mold into the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down before refilling with more batter.

Cool thoroughly!

Process we used to pretty up the brownie pops:craft sticks
candy melts – we used white
sprinkles
foam square – optional

Melt your candy melts per directions on the package.

After the brownies are thawed, use a craft stick (the thicker ones used for cookie bouquets) to poke a hole in the bottom of the brownie pop. Then dip the stick in the candy melts and stick back in the hole. The candy melts will serve as some glue.

Place sticks in foam board to allow to set.

Once “glue” has set, hold pop by stick and dip the top into the candy melts. Apply sprinkles by dipping in sprinkles for full coverage, or just sprinkle with colored sprinkles. I did a few dipped, but most were just sprinkled with sprinkles.

Place back in foam board to allow the candy to set.

Enjoy!

27 Responses to “Chocolate Goat Cheese Mousse Tart”

Eva @ Eva Bakes — June 7, 2013 at 8:27 am

What an awesome way to feature goat cheese in a dessert! I never thought of turning it into a chocolate mousse – sounds like I need to try this soon. 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:51 am

You definitely should. I know goat cheese isn’t for everyone, but we really enjoyed the subtle flavor in the mousse.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — June 7, 2013 at 8:42 am

Jen, I love everything about this tart – from the chocolate crust to the mousse and the pretty strawberries on top. Yum! Enjoy your birthday month 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Thanks for humoring me on the whole birthday month thing 🙂

Krystal R. — June 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Ohhh lalalalala, I totally dig this dessert even more because it has goat cheese and strawberries…some of my fave foods!! Happy Birthday month…you better party and eat like it’s your birthday!!

• beantownbaker — June 7th, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

Oh I’m definitely going to party like it’s my birthday! All month long 🙂

Shannon — June 10, 2013 at 10:24 am

oh yes to the goat cheese in this tart! fabulous. happy birthday month 🙂 you might need to make this a few more times to celebrate?!

• beantownbaker — June 10th, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

Oh I have been baking plenty of deliciousness this month to celebrate 🙂 You know how hard it is to repeat recipes…

Karen — June 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Love the idea of incorporating goat cheese in a dessert- I have never seen it down with chocolate before. I will definitely be trying this soon as I have some goat cheese in my fridge waiting to be used 🙂

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 7:20 am

Oh yea, goat cheese and chocolate go really well together.

Carolyn — June 11, 2013 at 8:26 am

Oh my, the use of goat cheese in this is phenomenal! I would love to try it!

• beantownbaker — June 11th, 2013 @ 8:46 am

Definitely do! And you could top it with any fruit you like. I think raspberries would be good too.

Consuelo @ Honey & Figs — June 11, 2013 at 9:39 am

Chocolate must work great with goat cheese since they’re both utterly delicious!! This recipe looks magnificent omg I think I would be able to eat the whole tart by myself *-*

Justine @ Cooking and Beer — June 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Goat cheese is one of my favorite ingredients to use in desserts, and your tart looks soooo delicious! Thanks for sharing =) Definitely a must try this summer.

Nutmeg Nanny — June 12, 2013 at 10:33 am

Oh wow this is gorgeous! I love this recipe, I bet it tastes heavenly!

Beth — June 25, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I just finished making my second one for this week…we love it…it is so smooth and rich and well D E L I C I O U S!!!…my grandson requested the second one but truth be told I was gonna make it anyway…the bittersweet chocolate and the cocoa in the crust are what make it….if anyone out there hasn’t tried it do so you will be in love….

• beantownbaker — June 25th, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

So glad you’ve enjoyed it! I definitely need to make this again. I have already made it with raspberries but want to try blackberries next.

Beth — July 1, 2013 at 6:10 am

you wont believe it but I made this AGAIN yesterday…I did a play on bananas foster on the top…it was a hit with my company…and good recipes for sweets for the 4th?..lol….

• beantownbaker — July 3rd, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Wow – bananas foster on top. I would never have thought of that! I am making this tart and this strawberry shortcake for the 4th.

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com — July 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

So sinful and delicious looking 🙂

NaturesComplete — July 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Holy yumminess. I never thought of putting goat cheese in. My mouth is watering at the thought. Strawberries are my absolute favorite berry of all time. I will have to for sure try this recipe, Got it saved to my personal file. thank you.

Laura — August 3, 2013 at 12:07 am

I love chocolate mousse and I love goat cheese, so clearly I need to make this!

Also, there is strawberry picking (not sure it is organic though if that matters) up here near Oxford. I can get you the info for next year if driving up here is not a problem (I imagine it depends on what side of Cinci you live 🙂 ).

• beantownbaker — August 4th, 2013 @ 6:44 pm

I definitely don’t mind driving for freshly picked strawberries!!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — September 20, 2013 at 6:17 am

I love absolutely EVERYTHING about this recipe! It’s hard to beat mixing tangy goat cheese with chocolate and berries. What a unique recipe!

• beantownbaker — September 25th, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

It tastes as good as it sounds! I hope you try it.

Lauren — June 1, 2015 at 5:49 pm

WOW! What a wonderful recipe! Definitely one of my new favorites! Happy birthday month!

April — March 1, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Does this go in the fridge covered or uncovered and how long does it last? Thanks!