Sugar Cookie Bars

From the second I saw these bars pop up in my Google Reader, I knew I had to make them. I love the taste of sugar cookies, but sometimes it’s just not worth the time and effort. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing the sugar cookie comparison last December. I also really enjoyed trying royal icing for the first time this St Patty’s Day. But, sometimes I want a sugar cookie without all the fuss.

This recipe is perfect for those times. It consists of a delicious sugar cookie based topped with a super sweet buttercream frosting. These bars could be made for any occasion and come together so quickly. It was also fun to bust out my large offset spatula. I’m so used to frosting with a piping bag, but I managed alright.

The next time I make these (and I have a feeling it will be soon), I will definitely cut them smaller. For some reason I had in my head that these needed to be cut into 30 bars. I was likely thinking of a different bar recipe, but I just cut them into 30 bars without thinking. Let me tell you, when you make a jelly roll worth of cookie bars, it makes 30 big bars. Of course the size of these bars didn’t have an impact on how quickly they disappeared. I took these to a weekly get-together and everyone loved them.

Sugar Cookie Bars – from The Repressed Pasty Chef
1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well.

In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined.

Spread on a greased baking sheet (I lined my 11×17 jelly roll pan with parchment paper).

Bake for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting1/2 cup butter at room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (optional)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy.

Add vanilla and salt.

Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency.

Spread over cooled cookie (and add sprinkles), then cut into bars.

9 Responses to “Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto”

Joelen — September 3, 2009 at 4:24 am

This combines 2 of my husband’s loves – shrimp and cilantro! Love the ice cube trick too!

Ingrid — September 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Yum, I love shrimp! Hadn’t thought to flavor it with pesto. Warm crusty bread would be yummy with it!
    ~ingrid

stephchows — September 3, 2009 at 7:10 pm

OH WOW so simple and so beautiful! I need to make myself some pesto cubes for moments like these 🙂

Kerstin — September 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm

What a delicious and easy dinner! I’m lucky if I’m home by 8:30, so I completely understand needing quick recipes! I’ll have to try the frozen pesto trick.

bec — September 4, 2009 at 3:06 pm

i just made my first batch of ice cube pesto from our basil forest. neil panics every time i make pesto. he needs verification that i have not used up too much basil. if i use 10% of what is in the garden, then we are in the safety zone. let it grow back, use another 10%. at the end of the season, we will have 9000 cubes of pesto in the freezer and neil will be happy. totally jealous of your new stove, btw. i want a griddle!

Kat — September 4, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I love the frozen pesto concept! I have a lot of basil, but there are only two of us in my house and we can only eat so much. I will have to try this. The shrimp looks great.

Justin — September 11, 2009 at 12:23 am

this looks great, and it really can’t get much easier

Jori Hodgson — January 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Hi there! Love this idea. Great job!

I was wondering where I can find pesto? Also, do you have any ideas for sides that would be good with this? I’m not familiar with pesto’s flavor and I want to surprise my husband with something 🙂 Thanks!

Jen — January 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Jori – I make my own pesto using this recipe.