Crockpot Pulled Pork

Hubby and I have made 3 or 4 pulled pork recipes in the last year or so. Each one was good but nothing amazing – we’ve had some that are too BBQ-saucey, tried the root beer based recipes, and a couple others. Until now. This pulled pork is going to be our recipe from here on out. It has great flavor and a little kick to it. It’s not overly BBQ-saucey either.

As an aside, Happy 250th Post to Me!

I rubbed the meat 2 days prior to cooking it and it cooked on low in the crockpot for about 10 hours. When we took it out to pull apart, it was very tender and flavorful. We were tempted to eat it then, but we stuck to the recipe and added the BBQ sauce and threw it back in for another 45 minutes or so.

Pulled Pork – from The Way The Cookie Crumbles – originally from Cooks Illustrated – serves 6

Printable RecipeSpice Rub:
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground white pepper – I used black pepper

1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
ยฝ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional) – I omitted
2 cups barbecue sauce

Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.

Massage spice rub into meat (I recommend doing this on a jelly roll pan or large cookie sheet with sides). Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. (I refrigerated ours for 2 days).

Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add liquid smoke, if using, and 1/4 cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.

Transfer roast to cutting board (again, I used a large cookie sheet with sides. This helped to contain the mess); discard liquid in liner. Pull by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.

Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot. Serve with additional barbecue sauce.

41 Responses to “Cuban Sandwich Sliders”

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 28, 2013 at 10:54 am

I really like cuban sandwiches, and in mini form, I would like them even better!

• beantownbaker — January 28th, 2013 @ 12:48 pm

Especially if that sandwich was soaked in butter for 24 hours ๐Ÿ˜‰

Erica @ In and Around Town — January 28, 2013 at 10:59 am

I am a huge fan of the ham and cheese sliders so I can only imagine how delicious these are!

• beantownbaker — January 28th, 2013 @ 12:49 pm

Seriously, I had to put them away so we wouldn’t eat all of them in one sitting this weekend…

Sues — January 28, 2013 at 11:08 am

I love that you and Fiona made all the food for the party — So much fun!! And I can see why these sandwiches would be a hit!

• beantownbaker — January 28th, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

We were definitely on cloud 9 with the prospect of planning all the food for the party.

Shannon — January 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm

love that you guys did the menu planning! these must’ve been a hit, they look fantastically amazing ๐Ÿ™‚ i’m coming around to pickles… but i dunno about putting them on a sandwich. perhaps better there- they’re surrounded by more delicious things!

• beantownbaker — January 28th, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I actually ate one of these little guys that had pickles on it, but Hubby picked them out for me. It wasn’t horrible. I usually can’t even come close to things that have touched pickles.

Megan — January 28, 2013 at 5:17 pm

That photo makes so much sense now. I love pickles and think these sliders would definitely be the hit of any Super Bowl party.

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) — January 29, 2013 at 9:33 am

I love pickles! That’s funny you have such an aversion to them ๐Ÿ™‚ I’ve never had a cuban sandwich, but these look very tasty!

• beantownbaker — January 29th, 2013 @ 9:41 am

Ew. I’m not sure we can be friends. I kid… I definitely don’t let Hubby eat pickles because I can’t even handle it. It’s honestly the one food that I can’t stand…

Susan — January 29, 2013 at 12:12 pm

These look really good, but I have cardiac issues, and 2 sticks of butter is a big no-no for me. Could that amount be cut back or substituted with something else?

Thanks.

• beantownbaker — January 29th, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

You could definitely cut back on the amount of butter in these if you wanted to. I would just cut the sauce in half and just pour it over the top instead of on the top and bottom of the sandwiches.

RagoManne — January 30, 2013 at 4:45 pm

We make iterations of this one all the time…..this is making me hungry for Sunday! We should make Katie buy the ingredients!

• beantownbaker — January 30th, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

Definitely a good idea!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Liz — February 4, 2013 at 1:33 am

I just made these for the Super Bowl & they were amazing! Our guests loved them & they were so easy to make! Yum!

• beantownbaker — February 4th, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

So glad you enjoyed them!!

Culinary USA — February 5, 2013 at 12:03 am

AWESOME. I have a Cuban friend who would LOVE these. Going to give this a shot soon! I really love the combination of ingredients.

• beantownbaker — February 5th, 2013 @ 10:14 am

Hubby is Cuban and he definitely enjoyed them ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you and your friend do too!

tata4now — December 22, 2013 at 7:58 am

I made a double batch of these for our Christmas party last week. Total hit! and the most requested recipe from the party. I served them in indiv. muffin top wrappers to make them accessible and less messy. I think wrapping them indiv in that waxy sandwich papers would work as well. Love the night before set up. The only edits I made were to use some jalapeno-dill pickles and I found some Kings Hawaiin dinner rolls. Regrettably there were not enough leftovers for lunch the next day for both hubbie and me.

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 11:03 am

Glad to hear this recipe was a hit for you! Your edits sound great. Hubby has requested these for our New Years Eve party next week.

Lisa Baptista — December 23, 2013 at 3:00 pm

My family devoured these. They are so good they want them for Christmas Eve dinner.

• beantownbaker — December 26th, 2013 @ 11:03 am

So glad you guys liked these!

Robin Cricket — December 29, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Probably a really silly question, but…..
    Grated dried onions? What is that exactly?
    Any substitute suggestions?

• beantownbaker — January 2nd, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

They’re also called minced onions I believe. You can find them in the spice aisle at your grocery store.

Roger Perry — January 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

Use a little Sweet Pickle Relish instead of Pickles.

• beantownbaker — January 5th, 2014 @ 7:05 pm

Great suggestion! I’ll have to try that next time. I’m not a huge fan of relish either, but it’s much better than pickles in my mind.

Lindsey Cook — January 31, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oh I could just eat these up in one bite! Yum! I’m thinking of adding a slice of jalepeรฑo in there too…..

• beantownbaker — February 3rd, 2014 @ 4:52 pm

Oh jalepeno would be a great addition!

Kristy Maniaci — February 4, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Made these for Superbowl 2014…total hit! So easy and nice you can prepare them the night before! Leftovers 2 days later are just as good! This recipe is definitely a keeper, thank you!

• beantownbaker — February 5th, 2014 @ 9:53 am

So glad you enjoyed the recipe!

Barbara — June 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm

What size baking dish should be used ? “Place another baking sheet on top…” suggests these are prepared on a baking sheet, but baking dish and baking sheet aren’t the same really. If the baking sheet is used on top, is it weighted to press down on the sandwiches? Sorry, but I never made anything like this and I would love to – they sound delicious!!!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

Not sure if you ended up trying these. The baking sheet on top is to help press the sandwiches similar to a classic Cuban sandwich. I would use a pan the same size as what you’re using for the sandwiches. I always double the recipe and use a jelly roll pan for the sandwiches.

Linda — June 10, 2014 at 9:12 pm

A little confused about cutting at the bun seams to cut through the meat? Making these for Fathers Day this weekend! Looking forward to trying these!

• beantownbaker — September 2nd, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

Hope these worked out for you. Since you layer the meat on all sandwiches at once, you want to cut through the meat so they pull apart after they’re baked.

Carmen — September 15, 2014 at 1:21 pm

these are the best ever! every time I make them folks go wild! I’m not a fan of poppy seeds since they get stuck in my teeth lol so I subbed Lipton onion soup mix for the seeds & dried onion. Weird, but it works. thanks for sharing the recipe !

beantownbaker — September 17, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Interesting substitution. Glad you were able to find something that works for you!

tracy — February 2, 2015 at 10:28 am

Uhhhhhmazing!!!!! I made for the 2015 Superbowl and it was a huge hit!!! Such a hit I’m already expected to bring to the next get togethers.
    Only thing I did different was no poppy seeds and I made my own honey mustard and skipped mustard at the end when you state to put spread some on top. I’m not a huge mustard fan so I eliminated that step and figured the sauce was enough and I was very happy with that decision, it was solo yummy! Thanks for sharing!

ltgarcia — February 2, 2015 at 11:08 am

Made this for Superbowl 15 and they were a huge hit – SO GOOD! I used Trader Joe’s store bought pulled pork and substituted bread and butter (sweet) pickles for dill. Everyone loved them and the only problem is we can’t stop eating them. These sandwiched plus the Pats victory made for a perfect night for us New Englanders! Thanks!!

Amy — February 12, 2015 at 11:48 am

Do the buns not get soggy overnight?

fun size wife — March 4, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I made these and they were pretty rich with the butter. I would decrease it as you suggested, Jen. I think in lieu of pickles, mild pepper rings would work well.