Black bean and butternut squash quesadillas

Hubby and I have been trying to eat healthier. I saw these quesadillas on Lori’s blog and knew that I wanted to try them. We both love butternut squash and these were great. Very filling and delicious.

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Quesadillas – adapted from Lori’s Lipsmacking Goodness

1 med onion chopped – I used a small onion and a 1/2 green pepper
minced chilies, to your liking – I omitted
2 cups butternut squash, cubed and roasted
1 cup cooked black beans
1 clove garlic minced
2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded – I used shredded sheep milk cheese

Saute onions in olive oil till golden. Add garlic and remainder of ingredients, except cheese. Spoon over tortillas. Sprinkle cheese over the filling. Place a tortilla on top. Press. Bake at 375 F.

13 Responses to “Homemade Green Bean Casserole”

Cathy B. @ Brightbakes — December 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm

wow..great to see a green bean casserole with ingredients that are actually found in nature! 🙂 thank you!
    love,
    cathy b.

Carolyn — December 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I think this homemade version has to beat the pants off the one with canned mushroom soup. I mean, with portobellos and shitakes? Yes please!

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — December 7, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I’ve only tried the “classic” green bean casserole for the first time like a month ago and I’m definitely recreating it this weekend – cream of mushroom and all! Yours, however, looks gourmet and unprocessed!

Sinful Sundays — December 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm

i’ve never had Green Bean casserole and want to try it so badly! I may just make the processed version to see how it tastes. Yours looks way more fabulous than I could probably ever get mine to be!

Boston Food Diary — December 7, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Yummmmm- well done in getting rid of the processed sections and going for the natural approach!!!! Looks delicious!

Melissa — December 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve never had green bean casserole but this makes me want to try it! Yours looks really good.

stephchows — December 7, 2010 at 5:00 pm

home made green bean casserole! I didn’t know it was possible! 🙂 Personally I’m in the hate category… but I’d be willing to try this version 🙂

Shannon — December 7, 2010 at 5:52 pm

definitely looks better than the “traditional” version!!

Shannon — December 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oooh, I am so excited about this! A friend requested green bean casserole for a small holiday party that I’m hosting, but I really, really didn’t want to make the regular version of it. This is perfect!

sabjimata — December 8, 2010 at 9:50 pm

everything’s better homemade!

Lulu — December 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This sounds like a very useful veggie side dish come the post-Xmas dinners. I did notice recently that oriental shops also sell roasted shredded crispy onions, if you find yourself very short of time one day (they are not expensive).

Stella — November 17, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Definitely the best green casserole recipe! I’ve been making Alton s recipe for years.

• beantownbaker — November 24th, 2013 @ 5:51 pm