Creme Brulee again

I made creme brulee for the first time a few months ago. Hubby loved it. I hate using water baths and I wanted to try Dorie’s recipe. We both agreed that we like this recipe much better than the other one. And it’s so nice not having to use a water bath! This treat really is too easy to make. It’s dangerous. Especially when I have leftover egg yolks from making Swiss meringue buttercream… Next, I’d like to experiment with some different flavors of creme brulee.

I converted Dorie’s recipe (seen here from when the TWD group did it) to make 4 servings instead of 6. Here are the measurements I used:
13 Tbsp + 1 tsp heavy cream
1/3 cup whole milk
2 egg yolks
3 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/3 tsp vanilla
4 Tbsp sugar for topping

The link above is broken, so here is the recipe from Dorie:
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

About 6 tbsp sugar or sifted light brown sugar for topping

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 200F. Put the baking dishes on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
Bring the cream and milk just to a boil.
In a 1-2 quart glass measuring cup or in a medium bowl, whisk th egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until well blended but not airy. Still whisking, drizzle in about one quarter or the hot liquid – this will temper, or warm, the yolks so they won’t curdle. Whisking all the while, slowly pour in the remainder of the cream and milk. Give the bowl a good rap against the counter to de-bubble the custard, then strain it into the baking dishes.

Bake the custards for 50-60 minutes, or until the custards are set – tap the sides of the dishes, and the custards should hold firm. Lift the dishes onto a cooling rack and let the custards cool until they reach room temperature.

Cover each custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably longer. (The custards can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.) For the sugar to be successfully caramelized, the custards need to be thoroughly chilled.

To caramelize the sugar topping with a blowtorch, work on one dish at a time. Sprinkle the top of each custard evenly with sugar – about 1 tablespoon for each dish – then brown the sugar, cooking until it bubbles and colors. Wait until the bubbles subside before serving the crèmes.

To caramelize the sugar in a broiler, preaheat the broiler and fill a shallow roasting pan with the ice cubes. Sprinkle the custards with the sugar, put the baking dishes on the bed of ice and run the custards under the broiler. Don’t move away from your oven – depending on your broiler, it can take seconds or minutes to caramelize the sugar, and you don’t want to miss the moment and ruin the topping. When the sugar bubbles and browns, pull the custards out, remove them from their ice bed and let them settle down before serving.

27 Responses to “Creme Brulee Cupcakes”

Joelen — April 16, 2009 at 1:28 pm

What a delicious entry and thank you for submitting it to this month’s Tasty Tools!

alauna — April 16, 2009 at 2:57 pm

yum – these look so good!

i often write posts well after the recipe has been made and photographed, especially if there’s no recognizable feature (like a holiday).

Amy Kingman — April 16, 2009 at 3:24 pm

woah! these look fantastic!!! Jen, are you EVER moving to Indy? We need to move in next door to each other. We’ll help you ‘take care of’ all of your experiments. 🙂

Jen — April 16, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Ha Amy – I doubt we’d ever end up in Indy… Cincy is about as close as we’ll get… Or you guys can move to Boston 😉

Jessica — April 16, 2009 at 4:38 pm

They look amazing! Great job!

Stephanie Wagner — April 16, 2009 at 7:04 pm

What a great idea – two tastey desserts in one! I like Amy’s idea too. At least if you live in Cincy we could get a carrier pigeon or something…

Jen — April 16, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Or we just need a carrier pigeon who can handle the distance from Boston.

Erin — April 17, 2009 at 12:23 am

This looks great! My husband’s favorite dessert is also creme brulee 🙂

oneparticularkitchen — April 17, 2009 at 4:15 am

Oh my heavens! That looks so good!

bricogirl — April 17, 2009 at 10:11 am

I really like the way you frosted these – gives me ideas. Here’s a creme brulee recipe for anyone interested in trying – it’s really easy – but you’re right – doesn’t travel. Happy baking.

Netts Nook — April 17, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for sharing mouth watering I love Creme Brulee. So good.

Ingrid — April 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Yum those sound & look DELISH! Thanks for sharing the recipe & tip on another way to frost my cupcakes. 🙂
    ~ingrid

Stephanie — April 18, 2009 at 1:45 am

These look amazing!

bakergirlcreations — April 18, 2009 at 4:25 am

Super cute way to ice the cupcakes! Creme Brulee is my favourite dessert, I think these need to be added to my list of must makes!

Maris — April 18, 2009 at 4:29 am

I like your blogging strategy – I tend to be the exact same way! Sometimes I get so backlogged and other times, I’ll have 10 posts sitting as drafts.

These cupcakes look so good – a nice twist on a traditional frosted cupcakes. I would have never thought to do this.

Colleen — April 20, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Wow – what a fabulous recipe! They must be delicious!

madebymel — April 22, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I made these last year and they were SO GOOD! I love creme brulee.

Xiaolu — April 30, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I’d like to try making these for a coworker’s birthday, but I have 2 questions. First, is there anyway to toast the top if I don’t have a torch? Second, how far in advance could I make all or any of the components? Thanks!

Jen — May 2, 2009 at 2:55 am

Xiaolu – Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I was on vacation. I don’t know if you could torch them without a torch… I know for creme brulee you can use a broiler, but it doesn’t work so well. I wouldn’t make these too far in advance. We noticed the cupcakes going stale within a day or two.

Xiaolu — May 5, 2009 at 5:53 am

Hi again, Jen! I didn’t end up making these until tonight. They taste good, but this was my first time making SMBC and I think I did something wrong. It’s funny, my buttercream never broke/curdled when I added the butter and I heard slapping noises almost immediately. But it was too soft to pipe, so I chilled it then rewhipped. Unfortunately, the SMBC softened again pretty quickly and also started looking a little curdled. Do you have any idea what I might’ve done wrong? Could the meringue have been too warm still when I added the butter? Thanks again!

Xiaolu

Jen — May 15, 2009 at 1:02 am

Xiaolu – Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I’m no expert on SMBC, but your butter may have been too soft. It should be just at room temp. I would definitely check out this tutorial on SMBC. I found it very helpful when I was first starting to make SMBC.

Tonya — November 23, 2009 at 4:50 pm

I’ve made these cupcakes, and they are amazing, but when I use my creme brulee torch to carmelize the sugar, the frosting melted and slid off the cupcake. To get around this, I carmelized the brown sugar on a piece of tinfoil and then placed the pieces on top of the frosting. I tried using a smaller flame, holding the torch further away from the cupcake, and even froze the cupcake with the frosting for a little bit, but nothing would stop the frosting from melting off. Am I doing something wrong?

Jen — November 23, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Tonya, It’s been a while since I made these, but I do remember that the first one I did, the frosting melted off. After that I had Hubby do the torching and he just kept the flame further away from the frosting. We also let the set before moving them once they had been torched. Sorry that you’re having so much trouble with the recipe. But it sounds like you may have found a solution.

Radiance Brightening — January 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Do you suffer from sensitive skin, well I certainly do. I looked in all the shops and beauty counters and even went to the doctors. Eventually a friend told me about http://radiancebrightening.com/ for Radiance Brightening .. maybe it can help you too. Regards Sandoral Nakata

c.Or.at — November 21, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Claro que el creador de esta idea ofrece también un adiestramiento privado a modo de entrenador personal, por
    el que sí cobra una tarifa, y por si fuera poco, en su web tiene
    un apartado con tienda online para adquirir ropa deportiva.

https://about.me/lentiluganda2 — November 21, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Painless This Website Secrets – What’s Needed

boom beach free diamonds, — March 17, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Moreover, there’s absolutely no dependence on downloads which means
    you happen to be completely safe if you use this hack.