Frito Candy

As I previously mentioned, I went a little overboard with food for our Beirut finals. In addition to the pizza roll that I made, I also made this Frito Candy.

When you say Frito Candy, people look at you kind of funny, like what the heck is Frito Candy. But, if you have a piece in your hand to give them to try, they will love you. I have always enjoyed mixing sweet and salty together so I knew it would be a hit. I opened the candy container and this stuff was gone within 5 minutes.

Sweet Salty Frito Candy (from Cookie Madness)
2 cups pretzels
1 cup Fritos
8 mini peanut butter cups
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips – I used dark chocolate chips
Optional: Chopped peanuts for the top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a 13×9 inch pan with parchment paper or no-stick foil.

Crush pretzels. You can use a food processor to chop, or just throw them in a ziploc bag and crush with your hands or a meat tenderizer. Add Fritos to processor/bag and break them up with pretzels. Dump into pan. Unwrap peanut butter cups and throw them in the mix (I broke them in half first).

Place butter in a non-stick saucepan and melt over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in brown sugar. Bring mixture to a full boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring once or twice. Pour over Frito mixture and bake for 8 minutes.

Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over hot candy. Return to oven for 1 minute to soften chips. Spread softened chocolate chips over bars. Add chopped nuts if you would like to.

Cool at room temperature until you feel the pan is cool enough to be transferred to your refrigerator, then transfer to refrigerator to set the chocolate. When chocolate is set, lift from pan and break the candy up as you would almond toffee. You can eat it cold or let it come back down to room temp.

20 Responses to “Cookie Dough Brownies”

stephchows — December 7, 2009 at 4:34 pm

this is such a fantastic idea!! I would make cookie dough batter with my friends in middle school… leave out the eggs, and just eat it with a spoon LOL so good!

nutmegnanny — December 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This looks awesome! Since I’m a huge fan of cookie dough I know I will love this recipe 🙂

Lauren — December 7, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Ha – my husband loves the dough more than the cookie as well. I starred these – DEFINITELY making them soon.

We Are Not Martha — December 7, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Oooh these look delicious!! And combine the best of 2 worlds 🙂

Sues

laurasrecipecollection — December 8, 2009 at 12:17 am

holy cow! cookie dough + brownie? I think I’m in heaven

Justin — December 8, 2009 at 4:21 am

what a cool idea for the cookie dough layer. i used to make raw cookie dough (with egg beaters) and keep it in the freezer just for snacking

oneordinaryday — December 8, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Yum. I made a similar recipe but I put a thin chocolate ganache on top. It’s one of the best recipes I’ve posted, but I’m a sucker for that raw dough.

I think I might have to agree with your bro and hubby. I love chocolate chip cookies, but it’s the dough that makes me weak in the knees! This recipe is right up my alley.

Jelli Bean — December 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm

These look great! I also let my husband lick the beaters, but occasionally I slink behind the counter beside the sink and keep all the batter for myself. He’s usually too involved with TV to even notice.

Ingrid — December 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm

LOL, oh my gosh! I just noticed this had a anti-Weight Watchers label. How funny!

Those look insanely good!!Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    ~ingrid

e — December 11, 2009 at 12:42 pm

My high school made cookie dough covered brownies back in the day. They had a cult following and always sold out before the last lunch period. I never understood why you needed the brownie when a spoon works just fine.

laquillen — December 11, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Oh man. So sinful. Reminds me of the Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream “Half Baked. Half brownie, half cookie dough. I can’t say no to that stuff.

whatwelovemost — December 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Yummmm!! Oh my goodnessIsao adore cookie dough… This combination is beautiful!

Peggy — December 13, 2009 at 11:46 am

sounds delicious!

Miss Yunks — December 15, 2009 at 5:30 pm

these brownies looked so good I tried to make them myself! I love cookie dough AND brownies – perfect combo! Yours look much better of course. Here are mine: http://foodiesatworkdotcom.blogspot.com/2009/12/cookie-dough-brownies.html

Liesl — December 15, 2009 at 6:01 pm

YUM! These sound great!

A & W — December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

AHHHH these look amaaazzzinnngggg. A little late in finding these but yeah I’m gonna need to make them.
    -Whitney

A & W — December 30, 2009 at 8:53 am

-Whitney

bcallegra — January 11, 2010 at 12:27 am

I just made these and they got rave reviews at work! Definitely a keeper – thanks, as always, for sharing a great recipe and photos!

Jade — April 15, 2010 at 6:27 pm

The best of both worlds!! These look awesome.

PIYALI CHATTERJEE — October 19, 2016 at 12:20 am