Smashed Chickpea Salad

As my “must-bake” list continues to grow, I find that I rarely save non-baked goods as favorites anymore. In an effort to try more new recipes for lunch and dinner I’ve made a conscience effort to start saving meal recipes instead of just cookies and cakes. This is one of the recipes that caught my eye.

This salad comes together in no time and is quite tasty. I forgot to add the olive oil and it was still delicious. We both really enjoyed these sandwiches for lunch one Saturday.

Smashed Chickpea Salad – from Smitten Kitchen
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons pitted, halved and very thinly sliced black olives – I omitted, we both don’t like olives
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Zest and juice from half a lemon
Couple good pinches of salt
A few grinds of black pepper
A few glugs of olive oil

Mix everything but the olive oil in a small to midsize bowl. Very lightly smash the chickpea mixture with the back of a fork or a potato masher. You’re not looking for a hummus-like puree but something closer to a coarse chop with a few smaller bits to hold it together. Add the glugs of olive oil, mix it lightly and enjoy.

We made sandwiches with a small amount of mayo and roasted red peppers on toast. I even forgot the olive oil and it was still delicious.

12 Responses to “Lemon Cilantro Potato Salad”

Kaloula — March 31, 2010 at 12:21 pm

That looks really good, a new take on potato salad..can’t wait to try it out!

Brisbane Baker — March 31, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Mmm I like potato salad and with coriander yum!

yumventures — March 31, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Lemon and cilantro are the perfect couple! I love your story — I have a notebook with family recipes in it with names like “Christina’s Dip” or “Mary’s Potato Salad” (yes, I have a potato salad lady too!). I feel that it is only fitting to name the dish after them 🙂

holly2460 — March 31, 2010 at 1:38 pm

That looks great! We are having the in-laws over Friday night and grilling burgers and I think this will be a perfect side!

Nancy — March 31, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Hubby’s Mom here: for those who don’t like cilantro (and I know, hard to believe there are people who don’t like it), you can substitute basil. This potato salad is really good either way.

Cara — March 31, 2010 at 7:06 pm

This sounds wonderfully fresh and flavorful. I’m not a big fan of mayonnaise-y potato salad so this sounds great!

camelia — March 31, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

We Are Not Martha — March 31, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Oooh potato salad definitely makes me think of warm weather. And even more so with lemon and cilantro! Plus, it’s so pretty 🙂

Sues

abigail — April 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm

we made this last night and it was awesome!! will definitely be making it again. so easy and delicious!

Sarah — April 4, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Love your blog!! We made this last night – it was amazing!!! We love potato salad, but never eat it because of how horrible it is for you. This is going to be a summer staple recipe for us. Thanks!!!

Marguerite — April 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I’m making this now, but what do I do with the shallot?

Jen — April 18, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Marguerite – If you’re using shallots instead of scallions, just add them in near the end where it says to stir in the scallion.s