Smashed Chickpea Salad

As my “must-bake” list continues to grow, I find that I rarely save non-baked goods as favorites anymore. In an effort to try more new recipes for lunch and dinner I’ve made a conscience effort to start saving meal recipes instead of just cookies and cakes. This is one of the recipes that caught my eye.

This salad comes together in no time and is quite tasty. I forgot to add the olive oil and it was still delicious. We both really enjoyed these sandwiches for lunch one Saturday.

Smashed Chickpea Salad – from Smitten Kitchen
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons pitted, halved and very thinly sliced black olives – I omitted, we both don’t like olives
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Zest and juice from half a lemon
Couple good pinches of salt
A few grinds of black pepper
A few glugs of olive oil

Mix everything but the olive oil in a small to midsize bowl. Very lightly smash the chickpea mixture with the back of a fork or a potato masher. You’re not looking for a hummus-like puree but something closer to a coarse chop with a few smaller bits to hold it together. Add the glugs of olive oil, mix it lightly and enjoy.

We made sandwiches with a small amount of mayo and roasted red peppers on toast. I even forgot the olive oil and it was still delicious.

8 Responses to “Puppy Chow”

Erin — December 30, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I loooove this stuff. I’ve always called it Muddy Buddy, though.

Jeanette — December 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I made this as treats to the humans from our 2 dogs. My mom fell in love with it and went out right away and bought the ingredients. Merry Christmas.

laurasrecipecollection — December 31, 2009 at 2:05 am

Everyone always raves about this stuff but I confess: I’ve never had it! I was allergic to peanuts during childhood 🙁
    But it looks so good that I think I need to give it a try now!

BeeKayRoot — December 31, 2009 at 3:45 am

This stuff is sooo good. I’ve never made it myself, but have had it several times. Perhaps I’ll make it sometime soon.

Joy — January 7, 2010 at 9:14 pm

One of my college roommates made this for us, and I’ve been in love with them since! We usually use Crispix, though, which is rice and corn. =)

Julie — January 12, 2010 at 2:31 pm

We love that stuff too! We make it for our friends all the time and they can’t stop eating it.

Like Joy said, we use Crispix too.

Tran — February 17, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Why is this called Puppy Chow mix? At first I thought it was for dogs and was alarmed by the chocolate chips in the ingredients…

Jen — February 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm

No idea why it’s called Puppy Chow… That’s just what we always called it…