Spice Apple Bars

When I saw this recipe in Katie’s blog in the fall, I knew I’d have to make it. And boy are we glad I did. These might be one of my favorite things I’ve ever baked. Definitely in the top 10. One of hubby’s coworkers said he would do any amount of manual labor we asked of him if I made a batch of these for him.

Apple Spice bars – from Katie
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 apples, cored and diced (a little less than 2 c.) – I used Macintosh apples
cinnamon sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 9×13 pan with foil and baking spray (I doubled the recipe and used one 9×13 and one 8×8 pan because I wanted them to be thicker).

In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. Whisk to combine well and set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer, combine sugars and butter and beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Turn mixer on slow and fold in flour mixture a little at a time until just combined. Fold in apples.

Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle top generously with cinnamon sugar.

Place in oven and bake until cooked through, when top slightly bounces back to the touch, about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan, cutting and serving. Bars will be very soft.

8 Responses to “Vegan chocolate / banana / caramel cupcakes”

Joelen — February 12, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Oh my! These look fabulous!!!

Elizabeth — February 12, 2009 at 11:40 pm

I love vegan chocolate cupcakes – and these look delicious. I can’t wait to try them!

Koo-Bean Cuisine — February 20, 2009 at 12:17 am

These just made me so excited!!! They sound amazing and better yet…VEGAN! Thank you for posting this!

Jodi — February 21, 2009 at 12:08 am

I saw these on Tastespotting and want to try, but — for the mousse what type of chocolate chips are you using? All of the ones I’ve seen in the store have milk fat in them. I’m new to vegan cooking, so maybe this is still non-dairy? My son is allergic which is why I’ve been trying many new vegan recipes!

foodess — February 21, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Wow, those look over-the-moon good!

Amy Kingman — August 27, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I’m totally making these tonight! I dont have the fancy caramel sauce, but hopefully they’ll still be edible with regular caramel. 🙂 Yum!

Lexi — September 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Jodi- Gihrardelli semisweet chocolate chips do not have any milkfat in them.

These look fantastic-I am allergic to dairy, and have been finding it sooo hard to sate my sweet tooth and not pay for it later.

Me — August 16, 2010 at 12:46 am

They look fab! Thanks for sharing. I have included your site in our Vegan cupcake feature at http://www.partycupcakeideas.com