Raspberry Meringue Cookies

Hubby absolutely loved the Peppermint Chocolate Meringue cookies I made for my 12 Days of Cookies in December. We were talking about what other flavors of meringues I could make. He suggested raspberry dipped in chocolate. We both agreed that I had to make these that night. I searched the internet and came upon this recipe on Cooks.com. I decided to omit the chocolate chips and instead dip the meringues in chocolate after baking them.

Raspberry Meringue cookies – make 9 dozen3 egg whites
1/8 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tbsp. raspberry Jello (1 3 oz pkg)
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vinegar
1 c. miniature chocolate chips – I omitted
Dark chocolate + vegetable oil for dipping
Beat egg whites and salt until foamy.

Add Jello and sugar gradually; beat until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.

Mix in vinegar; fold in chocolate chips.

Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets covered with brown paper bag (I piped these into kisses onto my Silpat). Bake at 250 degrees for 25 minutes.

Turn off oven; leave cookies in oven 20 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes and remove.

12 Responses to “Homemade “Instant” Pancake Mix and Blueberry Pancakes”

Sara — April 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

These pancakes look perfect! I don’t make pancakes that often, but this mix would be an easy throw together to keep in the freezer. Yum!

Amy Kingman — April 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Great idea to freeze the mix. I have been making our pancake batter from scratch for a while now, and it’s nearly impossible to go back to the boxed stuff! They just taste flavorless and cardboard-y. I had been reluctant to make mix ahead of time because I didn’t want it to go bad. Thanks for the idea!

Lauren — April 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

What a great idea to have a homemade pancake mix on hand!

Nancy — April 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm

A good substitute for buttermilk – since most of us don’t keep it on hand, but do have milk in the fridge:

1 TBS white vinegar with enough milk added to make 1 cup. Allowed to sit for at least ten minutes, this mixture will clot up and mimic buttermilk sufficiently for most recipes.

Memória — April 2, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Those pancakes look amazing!! Oh my goodness.

i think it is a great idea about freezing milk, too. I buy whole milk for baking only so I need to do that.

SimplySweeter — April 2, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Wow. Those look so good I might have to whip some up…..like…NOW.

Jen — April 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm

You can also use lemon juice instead of vinegar in the substitute for buttermilk provided by Nancy.

One thing to note about this recipe though. Not only is the buttermilk needed for the chemical reaction, but it also provides a great flavor to the pancakes that I don’t think you get from using the substitute. Also, buttermilk will keep for a very long time in the fridge since it’s acidic.

AB mentioned in his cookbook that there are only four thinks he will not make without buttermilk: cornbread, biscuits, waffles, and pancakes. I tend to agree with him.

Kelly — April 3, 2010 at 1:24 am

What a great idea to make your own pancake mix and then when you want quick pancakes, you can have a healthy mix 🙂

Kerstin — April 3, 2010 at 3:33 am

Mmm, these look way better than a mix! Great tip to store the mix in the freezer too!

Sugar Bananas — April 6, 2010 at 1:04 am

Yum! I love blueberry ‘anything’. Alton Brown recipes are always winners. If you’re looking for an even healthier pancake recipe, check out my ‘fluffy whole wheat pancakes’ on my blog. I mix batches of the dry ingredients and keep them in the freezer. Thanks for posting – I’m off to buy some blueberries! Oh, and I’m a new follower 🙂

Memória — April 9, 2010 at 8:20 am

These pancakes look amazing!! Bookmarked!

Ashley — July 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Hey Jen I am eating these pancakes at this very moment. They are so fluffy and filling! May I borrow this recipe for my blog and link it back to you??