Marbled Cheesecake, also known as…

… not everything I make turns out as expected. Or looking good for that matter…

A lot of people ask if I ever make things that don’t turn out right. This is a prime example of the fact that it does happen to everyone. I decided to make cheesecake for our monthly cooking club. The theme this month was indulgent foods and I immediately thought of the cheesecake pictures in Baking from My home to Yours. Dorie’s cheesecake looks absolutely perfect. I’ve never made a cheesecake before. I made the Daring Baker’s Cheesecake pops last year, but it didn’t have a crust… When I was getting everything together, I realized I don’t have a pan big enough to make a water bath for my 9″ springform pan. After some research online, I decided to put a pan with hot water on the bottom rack below the cheesecake.

I opted to make the marbled variation of the cheesecake with a chocolate graham cracker crust. I think I used more than 1/3 of the batter in the chocolate because it didn’t look very marbled. I should have taken a picture of it before I baked it to show the marbled top…

After the hour and a half, I pulled the cheesecake out a tad just to stick a knife in it to see if it was done. It had risen up but didn’t look done so I put it back in for 15 more minutes. When I checked it at that point, some of the edge had fallen over the pan. I turned the oven off and propped the oven open with a wooden spoon for an hour. When that timer went off, I found my hideous looking cheesecake. Not only had a good amount flowed overboard, the cheesecake was cracked, and sunken in. Not my best showing… BUT, it does taste like a delicious cheesecake, so I guess that’s all that matters.

If anyone has any advice on how to prevent this next time, I’d greatly appreciate it.

To see the entire recipe, check out the Tuesday’s with Dorie member who chose the recipe for the group, Anne of AnneStrawberry. Be sure to see how all the TWD members did (also check out what Dorie herself says about the cheesecake). The recipe says you can use 1 1/3 cup sour cream or heavy cream or a combination of the two. I used 2/3 cup sour cream and 2/3 cup heavy cream.

22 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes”

DeliciousDish — March 30, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I NEED to make these. I might just start on them tonight!

Nutmeg Nanny — March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

These look amazing! I would go into a sugar coma because I would probably want to eat at least three of these gems…haha.

Melissa — March 30, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh wow these are my dream dessert! I hope you bring these ones to Cupcake Camp!!

Erin — March 30, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I too have been meaning to make these cupcakes since I first saw them on the internet. I love that you combined several recipes from different bloggers. Awesome recipes, unite!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Like I said, it’s a multi-step process, so starting part of it tonight might be a good idea. If you make them, I definitely want one. These were so good.

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh that’s a thought… I still haven’t decided what I’m baking for Cupcake Camp…

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Definitely give it a shot. They take some time, but it’s SO worth it.

Shannon — March 30, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I’ve been wanting to make these for quite a while as well. My mother-in-law LOVES cookie dough and her birthday is coming up. From all the versions I’ve seen floating around on the internet, I really like yours since you have the LOTS of cookie dough in the middle of your cupcakes. So, you baked the cupcakes with the frozen cookie dough inside? No problems with it baking up? I’m definitely trying this!

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Yep, just dropped the dough into the cupcake batter before baking it. The cupcakes did rise up quite a bit and then sank back down as they cooled. I was a little concerned I had underbaked them, but they were delicious. Definitely let me know how they turn out for you if you make them.

Jessica — March 30, 2011 at 5:52 pm

oh my Lord these look amazing! I’m having a girls night next weekend and I’m def going to try these! Thanks!

FunandFearlessinBeantown — March 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Once again Jen, you impress me with your creativity!

Sarah C — March 30, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I want, no NEED, to make these. Does it matter what size your cookie scoop is? Mine is a medium size with about 1.5 tbsp volume. Want to make sure it won’t be too much that it prevents the cupcake from baking up (because honestly, it’s not possible for it to be too much cookie dough).

beantownbaker — March 30, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I’m honestly not sure what size my cookie scoop is. It doesn’t have any markings on it to give an indication! I think it’s the standard cookie scoop you’d get at the grocery store if that helps at all… I think 1.5 Tbsp sounds about right though.

Carrie — March 30, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I’m already trying to decide what occasion to make them for.

Cara — March 31, 2011 at 2:07 am

I’m still waiting to try these. Just sayin’. 😉

ErinsFoodFiles — March 31, 2011 at 3:14 am

WOW! Talk about decadent!

beantownbaker — March 31, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Well I *might* be making these for Cupcake Camp. So, if you make the trip into Boston for that, you might be able to have one! Too bad they’re not appropriate for Passover.

Rebel Mel — March 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Who needs dessert at 8am???

I’ll give you one hint.

Me.

😉

Bookmarking this! I’ve been meaning to make these cupcakes for a while now!

DyingforChocolate.com — April 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Will be making these soon. What a great twist.. the cookie is actually a cookie in the baking process. Yum!

Jene — April 5, 2011 at 11:47 am

OH. EM. GEE. I’m SO making these for euchre night on Saturday, just to have an excuse.

Lovemytheekidz — March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I found this recipeast summer and have made it several times for my oldest child, who has requested it again-for her sweet sixteen birthday. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

• beantownbaker — April 16th, 2014 @ 6:01 pm

So glad you enjoy it! This is one of our favorite cupcake recipes of all time.