Black Bean Cakes (Bookmarked Recipes)

I saw these and knew I had to make them. I’m submitting them in the Bookmarked Recipes blogging event. Since the majority of my recipes are bookmarked from other blogs, websites, or cookbooks, I could practically submit everything I post to this event, but I’ll just stick to one (at most) a week.

Hubby and I love sweet potatoes and black beans. I made these the same night as the PW Crispy Yogurt Chicken. My plan was to use the leftover yogurt concoction to dip the cakes into. However, I started dipping my chicken in the yogurt before setting some aside for dipping. Grr…

Anyways, I’m not a fan of spice, so I got rid of the jalepeno pepper. We both liked these but I think they’d be better broiled instead of cooked in a pan. That’s what I get for being in a hurry I guess…

Black Bean cakes – from Bean’s Bistro – originally from Martha Stewart – makes 4
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. Sliced Jalapenos, chopped – I omitted
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped – I used 3
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Can of Black Beans, drained
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
1 Egg
1/2 C. Bread Crumbs

In a small saute pan, cook the onions, jalapenos, garlic, and cumin with a little olive oil on medium heat. The onions will be translucent when done.

In a large bowl, pour in the drained black beans. Add in the mixture from the pan and mash everything using a fork. You will want the beans to be smashed, but it’s perfectly ok to have some that are still whole.

Fold in the rest of the ingredients until they are well mixed.

Form small cakes, about 3″ across and around 1/2″ to 1″ high.

Place on a cookie sheet or flat pan. Broil on high for 10 minutes. Be sure they don’t start to burn – if so, turn the broiler down to low – I cooked ours in a saute pan. Next time I’ll try broiling them.

Flip the cakes after the initial 10 minutes and then return to broil for another 2 minutes.

Serve warm. These are excellent with sour cream or a little lime juice.

8 Responses to “Fotography Friday”

Joelen — January 3, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This is such a great idea… and for those who are considering purchasing a DSLR, this will prove to be very helpful too!

Steph — January 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I’m in! I have a Canon Rebel. At one point in time, I’d read most of the manual concurrently with a digital photography book. (yeah, I’m nerdy like that) I found it only helps to know where to change the setting if you know the affect will be on your photo. I can’t wait to brush up and learn some new tricks!! Great idea!

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm

This is a great topic! The flash is so frustrating. Do you want people to share about equipment and hacks that have to do with the flash? I have found that various ways of diffusing/bouncing the flash has the biggest impact on my photos.

As far as your food photos go, have you considered constructing a light box out of white foam core and a couple clip lights? It would allow you to take your photos even at night but still feel bright and cheery! Just an idea. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Amy – feel free to post about whatever you want. The point is to share what you’ve learned about how to make the flash work for you. I’d love to hear what you do when you use your flash.

I have considered a light box. I had one on my Xmas list 🙂 I’m just worried about storing it in our tiny condo. For now, I just wait for daylight but I would like a light box in the future.

Amy Kingman — January 3, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Totally understanding the lightbox storage concerns. I’m thinking that I’m going to get some white foam core from the store today and play with making one that breaks down easily into a flat stack. I’ll post my experiment. 🙂

Jen — January 3, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yea Steph said she was going to make on today. This is the one I had on my Xmas list. I still might get it since it folds up.

Amy Kingman — January 4, 2009 at 1:29 am

Ok, I made a collapsible version of the light box today with your situation in mind. 🙂 Can’t beat that nylon one you’re looking at, but for $6 this one does a pretty good job! Thanks for the challenge! Here’s the light box.

Sara Therese — January 5, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Jen! This is JUST the kind of help I’ve been looking for when it comes to taking pictures. Great idea for Foto Friday! I’m really excited. 🙂