Black Bean Cakes (Bookmarked Recipes)

I saw these and knew I had to make them. I’m submitting them in the Bookmarked Recipes blogging event. Since the majority of my recipes are bookmarked from other blogs, websites, or cookbooks, I could practically submit everything I post to this event, but I’ll just stick to one (at most) a week.

Hubby and I love sweet potatoes and black beans. I made these the same night as the PW Crispy Yogurt Chicken. My plan was to use the leftover yogurt concoction to dip the cakes into. However, I started dipping my chicken in the yogurt before setting some aside for dipping. Grr…

Anyways, I’m not a fan of spice, so I got rid of the jalepeno pepper. We both liked these but I think they’d be better broiled instead of cooked in a pan. That’s what I get for being in a hurry I guess…

Black Bean cakes – from Bean’s Bistro – originally from Martha Stewart – makes 4
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 Tbsp. Sliced Jalapenos, chopped – I omitted
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped – I used 3
1 Tbsp. Cumin
1 Can of Black Beans, drained
1 Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
1 Egg
1/2 C. Bread Crumbs

In a small saute pan, cook the onions, jalapenos, garlic, and cumin with a little olive oil on medium heat. The onions will be translucent when done.

In a large bowl, pour in the drained black beans. Add in the mixture from the pan and mash everything using a fork. You will want the beans to be smashed, but it’s perfectly ok to have some that are still whole.

Fold in the rest of the ingredients until they are well mixed.

Form small cakes, about 3″ across and around 1/2″ to 1″ high.

Place on a cookie sheet or flat pan. Broil on high for 10 minutes. Be sure they don’t start to burn – if so, turn the broiler down to low – I cooked ours in a saute pan. Next time I’ll try broiling them.

Flip the cakes after the initial 10 minutes and then return to broil for another 2 minutes.

Serve warm. These are excellent with sour cream or a little lime juice.

35 Responses to “It’s a Pizza Pie!”

Josie — July 30, 2009 at 1:04 pm

that looks soooo good – I will most definitely be making this soon

Jade — July 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm

This is such a great idea. I will have to try it one weekend for breakfast.

oneordinaryday — July 30, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Looks great. Very clever take on pie and I think I’ll be giving it a try myself. Thanks for the idea!

biz319 — July 30, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Holy yum – I am making this for my breakfast tomorrow!

OMG, you need to make your own dough – google Artisan Bread in 5 minutes for the recipe.

It takes 5 minutes to make, 2 hours to rise and its enough dough for four 14 inch pizzas, four loaves of bread – and the best part is you can keep the dough in the fridge for up to 2 weeks – just pull out what you need and let it come to room temp.

I don’t like runny eggs either – but my husband loves dipping bread into it – gross! 😀

Jen — July 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I might just have to try homemade pizza dough. I think I could handle 5 minutes… Thanks for the info.

Katie — July 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

That is a gorgeous pizza! I love all the colors and it looks so rustic! 🙂

jenn — July 30, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I don’t know why I have never made one of those either!!

I don’t like runny either, it grosses me out.

I can’t wait to try this over the weekend!

Jenn@ http://www.slim-shoppin.com

Ingrid — July 30, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Yay, for “pie” I participated too and didn’t make a traditional pie! Oh, geesh, pizza dough is super easy. The ONLY thing with yeast I can do! 🙂 My 9 yr old actually makes it but we use the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes recipe. Breakfast pizza is a brillant idea can’t wait to give it a try. Psst, I have store bought dough in the fridge too. 🙂
    ~ingrid

Michelle — July 30, 2009 at 8:33 pm

I’ve seen bacon and pizzas pop up a few times, and yours looks so delicious! I really need to give this a try!

SK — July 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Wow that looks delicious!! Good idea with the cookie cutter!

JennyMac — July 30, 2009 at 11:05 pm

I have made a breakfast pizza before with scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese….but I LOVE the runny egg on it. Good tip with the biscuit cutter making a place for the yolk to nestle. I am gonna try this one. Yummers!

bec — July 30, 2009 at 11:49 pm

well now i just feel dumb that i didn’t think of this myself! it looks amazing. maybe i will make it and not tell neil that i stole the idea from you…..bwa ha ha ha ha…..

Stephanie Wagner — July 31, 2009 at 12:21 am

Awesome idea! Love the eggs cooked that way, I don’t do runny either… I made a breakfast pizza for a baby shower brunch, but it wasn’t nearly as healthy, I used gravy for sauce and scrambled the eggs with sausage. Hopefully, we’ll be giving this a try Sunday morning!

tara — July 31, 2009 at 1:02 am

What a smart idea to use the cookie cutters; definitely something to try. This looks delicious.

Jennifer — July 31, 2009 at 1:28 am

This is one thing I have wanted to try forever!! thanks for the reminder to do this!!! I love the cookie cutter idea to keep the whites in place!

nutmegnanny — July 31, 2009 at 2:06 am

Of course pizza is a pie:) It’s a savory pie. When I first moved to NY from OH I called to order a pizza and said “one large pizza” and the pizza guy said “one large pie” and I got all confused and said “ummm no a pizza” and then I’m pretty sure I heard him a sigh and he said “yes a pie is a pizza”…what a nerd I was.

Amy — July 31, 2009 at 4:42 am

I was JUST talking to someone about veggie pizza the other day. I love this and your version sounds so good. Can’t wait to try it!

Jen — July 31, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Just to clarify, the whites still ran some, but the yolks definitely stayed in place by using the cookie cutter. Except for the yolk I broke when I was cracking the shell.

Love all the stories about the pizza vs pie thing.

And yes Bec, go ahead and tell Neil you made it up. He’ll love you even more 🙂 I’m wishing I hadn’t told Hubby about it and just surprised him with it this weekend. He’s going to love it (I made it on a day I worked from home).

Bridget — July 31, 2009 at 3:43 pm

This looks so delicious…and your pictures are gorgeous! 🙂 I’m SO hungry right now!!!

Thanks so much for participating! I left you instructions for the linky in my blog comments.

ttfn300 — July 31, 2009 at 3:46 pm

holy cow that looks fantastic!!!

Page — July 31, 2009 at 4:35 pm

That looks awesome!

La Pixie — July 31, 2009 at 4:54 pm

this looks good, and I know my husband would like it. I might try it tomorrow morning for him. thanks for the idea!!

Dorci — July 31, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Those look great! Another way to get my son to eat breakfast. Yay!

chocolatecup — July 31, 2009 at 5:46 pm

this looks omgggg yummmmmmyyyyy

Michelle — July 31, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Wow that looks so good and what a great idea to serve for a brunch or breakfast for dinner meal! I am going to try this soon.

Heidi — July 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm

OMG!! That looks so good, I might have to make that one morning.

Jessica — July 31, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Fabulous! I am a lover of breakfast food and I love this new twist. I even have most of those ingredients at home right now. I think this will be breakfast tomorrow!

Nicole Feliciano — August 2, 2009 at 12:36 am

What a fun treat before the kids go back to school a n elaborate breakfast. This week I did sangria for recipe sharing. I hope you’ll stop by my site and share this tasty post:

thecookieshopinenglish — August 2, 2009 at 4:40 am

What a great idea! It looks really good and perfect for a weekend breakfast!

UnfinishedMom — August 5, 2009 at 12:19 pm

What a great idea! I love this.

~Amber~ — August 8, 2009 at 1:38 am

Wow, this sounds amazing!

christenandjames — August 9, 2009 at 6:10 pm

After finding this recipe yesterday on your blog, I made it for breakfast today. Holy Moly it’s fantastic! I added some sautee’d onions and it was so great. I added it to my blog at
    Thanks for the recipe!

liza — August 17, 2009 at 11:27 am

woww!! this looks delicious, its such a great idea.
    Bellacino’s Pizza and Grinder offers Buy One Get One Pizza Free.

Sweet and Savory — October 15, 2009 at 5:57 am

I am glad I found your blog. You have wonderful ideas and activities. I am thrilled you are doing the PINK theme.

From FAT to FIT — August 25, 2012 at 3:20 am

I make little “wells” in the cheese to hold my eggs in place 🙂