Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (October Cookie Carnival)

This month’s Cookie Carnival recipe is for pumpkin whoopie pies. When I saw the email, I thought they’d be Pumpkin with a cream cheese filling. I’ve seen quite a few recipes floating around for those. But these are chocolate cookies with pumpkin filling. That way they’re black and orange for Halloween 🙂 The recipe is from Martha and you can even watch her make them with Cookie Monster here.

I’ve never made whoopie pies before so this was fun for me. The chocolate cookie batter is very chocolatey and delicious 🙂 The filling is also great. It only uses 1/4 cup of pumpkin, so it looks like I’m going to be making something else pumpkin-ey soon. I’m looking forward to that! Next time I’ll definitely make a double batch of the filling. I thought the cookie somewhat overwhelmed the pumpkin filling. But overall, these were great and I’ll definitely be making these again. Probably very soon.

Mini Pumpkin Whoopie pies – from Martha Stewart – makes ~20
For the Cookies1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

For the Filling4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg

Prepare cookies: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.

Place butter, shortening, and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in half the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.

Drop about 2 teaspoons dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets and transfer to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely.

Prepare filling: In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese, butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whip until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary.

Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.

17 Responses to “Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls and How to Freeze Cinnamon Rolls”

Megan — January 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I think it’s very interesting that KAF has you freeze after baking. With most yeast things, you can pop them in the freezer before the second rise, and then take them out the night before, let them have a slow rise in the fridge, and then leave them out until they are proofed and then bake. It seems so much easier to just partially bake them. Interesting.

All the flavors sound incredible!

Lauren — January 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm

1. Pumpkin cinnamon rolls are fabulous, and these look great!
    2. I love the tip about pre-baking the rolls before freezing. I will definitely be employing that technique :).

Boston Food Diary — January 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm

These sound AMAZING! I’ve been fearful of making cinnamon rolls- both for the baking and having them around- this is great to know though! Thanks!

Bridget — January 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm

No fair using my recipe and then making prettier cinnamon rolls than me. Hmph!

Oh well, I suppose it’s worth it to find about this great freezing trick!

Anonymous — January 10, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Wow, do those look and sound delicious! Thanks for the info on how to freeze the rolls. I think I’ll attempt yeast soon.

Fun and Fearless in Beantown — January 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Thanks for sharing the tip on freezing cinnamon rolls. I seriously love KAF’s helpful hints on their blog and website!

stephchows — January 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm

ok what a brilliant idea!! I love making pumpkin cinnamon rolls, I just made a batch last weekend 🙂

Rhondi — January 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Oh YUM! Thanks for the freezing tips. I wanted to make my kids homemade cinnamon rolls this weekend, but like you, didn’t want them sitting around to tempt me! Does the pumpkin make the rolls really moist? I’m saving this recipe.

Jen — January 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Rhondi – I found the dough to be similar to other cinnamon roll dough as far as the moistness goes.

Christina — January 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I haven’t had cinnamon rolls in such a long time! I can’t wait to try these.

In and Around Town — January 10, 2011 at 7:40 pm

These look great – the pumpkin is such a nice touch. Love the freezing tips!

EliFla — January 10, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Hello as I am sure you know here in Italy we use the yeast in very many recipes. To freeze some dough leavened with baking powder (such as croissants or Daddy), some experts have advised me after giving shape to freeze before the final rise, then remove from freezer the night before putting in the oven thawing, and morning turn on the oven and cook as usual. I must tell you that I tried and the result was perfect.
    Ciao Flavia

innochkaskitchen — January 11, 2011 at 12:25 am

Yum! I LOVE cinnamon rolls and pumpkin cinnamon rolls are definitely a nice change-up from the usual plain cinnamon rolls. Great recipe!

Michael - Innkeeper — January 11, 2011 at 1:29 am

pumpkin cinnamon rolls!? get out of town!? these look ah-mazing!!!!

Kerstin — January 12, 2011 at 3:29 am

I love your freezing tip! I actually haven’t tried making cinnamon rolls yet, but will soon! It’s nice to know you can make them the night before too and then just finish baking in the morning.

Torviewtoronto — January 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm

delicious a favourite I make similar

Tiffany @ Triple Crème Decadence — February 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I never knew pumpkin cinnamon rolls existed until now. Looks and sounds divine!