Grilled Beef Ribs (Taste & Create)

This is another VERY overdue post. Taste & Create is a blogging event in which you are randomly paired up with another participant, and each of you try a recipe from the other’s food blog. I was paired with the talented Christine of Kits Chow (back in the spring, we had some unfortunate family circumstances that made me miss the T&C deadline, but we did make the ribs over the summer). Christine and I have very different blogs. I bake a lot and she informed me that her oven is used to store her baking sheets which rarely get used. I was very excited about making something “out of the box” for me. We don’t eat much red meat, and when we do hubby usually prepares it. I chose this recipe because hubby loves ribs and I love cilantro. Sounds perfect.

The flavor of these ribs was amazing. The marinade smelled so good. Like I said, I love cilantro! We served this with some broccoli and gobbled the meal right up. Again, I’m sorry to Christine for not posting this anywhere near on time.

Grilled Beef Ribs – from Kits Chow
For the marinade:
1 knob of ginger, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs. sea salt – I used Kosher
1 Tbs. black peppercorns, toasted
2 Tbs lemon grass, minced
2 cups cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
Juice of 2 limes
2 Tbs.chili oil – I left this out since I can’t handle spiciness

Beef ribs – about 1 1/2 lbs

Put the ingredients except the lime juice and chili oil into a mortar and pound into a thick paste. Add the lime juice and chili oil and mix well. Put half of the marinade in a bowl and reserve for another use (I used all of the marinade for these ribs).

Or give all the ingredients a whirl in the food processor for a minute or two, transfer the paste to two bowls. Set aside (refrigerate it if necessary).

Marinate the ribs for for a few hours or keep in the refrigerator overnight. Place the baking rack in the middle of the oven. Transfer the ribs to a baking pan and put it on the baking rack. Turn the broiler on and broil for 15 minutes on one side. Turn the meat over and broil for another fifteen minutes. The ribs here are medium rare. Remove from oven. Cut the meat into pieces and dish up. Pour the pan juices over the meat and sprinkle with fried shallots.

The broiling times are estimates as oven temperatures vary. Keep an eye on the meat. Ribs usually have a bit of fat on them and you don’t want a fire in the oven.

9 Responses to “Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto”

Joelen — September 3, 2009 at 4:24 am

This combines 2 of my husband’s loves – shrimp and cilantro! Love the ice cube trick too!

Ingrid — September 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Yum, I love shrimp! Hadn’t thought to flavor it with pesto. Warm crusty bread would be yummy with it!
    ~ingrid

stephchows — September 3, 2009 at 7:10 pm

OH WOW so simple and so beautiful! I need to make myself some pesto cubes for moments like these 🙂

Kerstin — September 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm

What a delicious and easy dinner! I’m lucky if I’m home by 8:30, so I completely understand needing quick recipes! I’ll have to try the frozen pesto trick.

bec — September 4, 2009 at 3:06 pm

i just made my first batch of ice cube pesto from our basil forest. neil panics every time i make pesto. he needs verification that i have not used up too much basil. if i use 10% of what is in the garden, then we are in the safety zone. let it grow back, use another 10%. at the end of the season, we will have 9000 cubes of pesto in the freezer and neil will be happy. totally jealous of your new stove, btw. i want a griddle!

Kat — September 4, 2009 at 11:55 pm

I love the frozen pesto concept! I have a lot of basil, but there are only two of us in my house and we can only eat so much. I will have to try this. The shrimp looks great.

Justin — September 11, 2009 at 12:23 am

this looks great, and it really can’t get much easier

Jori Hodgson — January 27, 2010 at 6:52 am

Hi there! Love this idea. Great job!

I was wondering where I can find pesto? Also, do you have any ideas for sides that would be good with this? I’m not familiar with pesto’s flavor and I want to surprise my husband with something 🙂 Thanks!

Jen — January 27, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Jori – I make my own pesto using this recipe.