Tiramisu Cupcakes (Cupcake Hero)

Our good friend Nate had a birthday coming up. His favorite dessert is Tiramisu so I decided to make some Tiramisu cupcakes. These little guys really taste like Tiramisu and are quite tasty. They got soggy the next day. I must have gone a little overboard with the coffee/Kahlua mixture when assembling the cupcakes.

Since this cupcake fits the requirements for CH this month, I was really excited to make them. I love getting two birds with one stone! I’m sure there will be some amazingly creative combinations of flavors this month, but I’m sticking with combos that I know work… This cupcake actually has 3 of the cupcake hero previous themes: coffee, liquor, and cocoa.

When assembling these, Hubby and I made an assembly line of sorts. He did the cheese filling and cake crumbs and I did the liquid and cocoa powder. It worked quite well.

Tiramisu Cupcakes – from Lots of Sprinkles – makes 12
Your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe or a box or vanilla cake mix
2 eggs
250g mascarpone cheese
1 heaped tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 heaped tablespoon espresso coffee (more if you’d like a stronger coffee taste)
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons Kaluha (or any other coffee/ chocolate liquor)
1 tablespoon caster sugar
Cocoa powder

Mix the vanilla cupcake batter following the instructions on the pack. Fill the cupcake cup with about 3/4 batter. Bake for about 15 to 20 mins until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

When the cupcakes have cooled, carve a large hole in the middle. Crumble the carved bits and keep in a separate bowl.

Tiramisu Filling
Separate the eggs. Mix the yolks, mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar together.

Mix the espresso coffee with the boiling water. Allow to cool before adding the liquor.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the caster sugar and continue beating until it is mixed in.

Fold the mascarpone mixture into the egg whites.

Assembling the Cupcake
Drizzle the coffee and liquor mixture along the sides and bottom of the cupcake.

Scoop a small amount of the tiramisu filling into the bottom of the cupcake and sprinkle some cocoa powder.

Add a layer of the crumbed bits and drizzle with coffee mixture. Cover with tiramisu filling and coca power.

Repeat this process until the cupcake hole is filled. Spread the remaining tiramisu filling on top of the cupcake and sprinkle with cocoa powder.

10 Responses to “Homemade OREOS!”

Erin — April 23, 2009 at 1:31 pm

I’ve been wanting to try these for a long time! They look delicious!

Angie — April 23, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Oh, thank you for posting these… I know I could have just googled it but I was planning on looking up the recipe today because I think I’m gonna try them this weekend for lunch snacks next week!

Mrs D — April 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm

They look so yummy!

Joelen — April 23, 2009 at 1:46 pm

This looks great and it’s a recipe I have yet to try!

Kerstin — April 23, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Those are the perfect dunkable treats! They are so cute and look yummy too!

Suzy — April 23, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Great job on the oreos…They look delish, I’ll have to try them. Deb and hubby are enroute to Pioneer Woman’s ranch, if you didn’t already know. Keep up with her antics over the weekend!

Netts Nook — April 27, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Home made OREO’S I am impressed. They look perfect.

Memoria — April 27, 2009 at 2:53 pm

I made these a few days ago, too! I made Oreo cupcakes with them the next day. They were very yummy and quick to make!

Micco — December 5, 2009 at 12:17 am

I’m going to take the vegan approach to your recipe tonight, but I noticed you don’t have round cookie cutters. If you’re ever in need of an impromptu cutter (e.g. for biscuits), any round, empty shape will work. In fact, the other day, I made window cookies using a mug and a pill cap. No one was the wiser.

Excited to try the recipe – especially since I don’t have to cut anything. Thanks!

themilkmanswife — January 21, 2010 at 2:23 am

Thanks for sharing these with me! I’ll have to give this filling a whirl for my Oreo loving husband! 🙂