Tiramisu Cupcakes (Cupcake Hero)

Our good friend Nate had a birthday coming up. His favorite dessert is Tiramisu so I decided to make some Tiramisu cupcakes. These little guys really taste like Tiramisu and are quite tasty. They got soggy the next day. I must have gone a little overboard with the coffee/Kahlua mixture when assembling the cupcakes.

Since this cupcake fits the requirements for CH this month, I was really excited to make them. I love getting two birds with one stone! I’m sure there will be some amazingly creative combinations of flavors this month, but I’m sticking with combos that I know work… This cupcake actually has 3 of the cupcake hero previous themes: coffee, liquor, and cocoa.

When assembling these, Hubby and I made an assembly line of sorts. He did the cheese filling and cake crumbs and I did the liquid and cocoa powder. It worked quite well.

Tiramisu Cupcakes – from Lots of Sprinkles – makes 12
Your favorite vanilla cupcake recipe or a box or vanilla cake mix
2 eggs
250g mascarpone cheese
1 heaped tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 heaped tablespoon espresso coffee (more if you’d like a stronger coffee taste)
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons Kaluha (or any other coffee/ chocolate liquor)
1 tablespoon caster sugar
Cocoa powder

Mix the vanilla cupcake batter following the instructions on the pack. Fill the cupcake cup with about 3/4 batter. Bake for about 15 to 20 mins until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

When the cupcakes have cooled, carve a large hole in the middle. Crumble the carved bits and keep in a separate bowl.

Tiramisu Filling
Separate the eggs. Mix the yolks, mascarpone cheese, vanilla extract and icing sugar together.

Mix the espresso coffee with the boiling water. Allow to cool before adding the liquor.

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the caster sugar and continue beating until it is mixed in.

Fold the mascarpone mixture into the egg whites.

Assembling the Cupcake
Drizzle the coffee and liquor mixture along the sides and bottom of the cupcake.

Scoop a small amount of the tiramisu filling into the bottom of the cupcake and sprinkle some cocoa powder.

Add a layer of the crumbed bits and drizzle with coffee mixture. Cover with tiramisu filling and coca power.

Repeat this process until the cupcake hole is filled. Spread the remaining tiramisu filling on top of the cupcake and sprinkle with cocoa powder.

18 Responses to “Tunnel of Fudge Cake”

vanillasugarblog — February 8, 2014 at 11:54 am

this cake screams a lot of things!
    eat me comes to my mind!
    lol

• beantownbaker — February 8th, 2014 @ 11:57 am

It does definitely scream that 🙂

Aimee — February 9, 2014 at 7:14 am

Gorgeous Bundt, Jen! It looks amazing. Love the butter and cocoa tip and the raspberries!

Tracy | Pale Yellow — February 10, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Who needs a tunnel of love when you have a tunnel of fudge! This looks fantastic!!

Nutmeg Nanny — February 23, 2014 at 9:45 am

This cake looks glorious 🙂 I am dying to get a slice, maybe two 😉

sue epstein — February 27, 2014 at 6:19 pm

The original recipe called for a box of Pillsbury’s frosting mix and was much, much better than the current recipes. There was a tunnel of gooey soft fudge in the middle that you just can’t get with today’s recipes for this cake. But it’s still a great cake!

Lynne — February 28, 2014 at 9:35 pm

For most up-to-date information you have to visit tthe webb and oon web I
    found this site as a most excellent web page for latest updates.

Marye Audet — March 21, 2014 at 5:12 pm

One of my favorites! Thanks for the reminder..I need to make this – soon!

Heila — December 22, 2015 at 4:24 am

I just tried this yummy recipe from your blog and it has come out really yummy!! 🙂
    This is my first tunnel of fudge cake and I am quite happy with the outcome…
    Thanks for sharing this easy recipe 🙂

Lois C. Flores — January 27, 2016 at 9:20 pm

Gorgeous!!! I’d love to try to make it for my family soon. Your recipe is so detailed, but to a clumsy person like me, Hopefully I won’t mess everything up haha.

Abigail C. Murdock — March 17, 2016 at 4:19 am

Looking at the picture of your cake I just wanna try it immediately. It looks really good. It is good to make it at home and serve on some special occasions like birthday parties or a party with friends on weekends. Thanks Jen for sharing this recipe with us!

Dane Shaw — March 23, 2016 at 6:47 am

Nice recipe Jen! Hope that I can do it the way you make your cake. Always love chocolate. Thank you for sharing it!

Healthoop — March 24, 2016 at 9:53 am

oh my god, I fell in love with it at the first sight. So yummy and nice at the look. Thanks Jen for sharing wonderful recipe!

Anthony — April 20, 2016 at 12:34 am

Awesome, you make it like an artist. It looks so delicious, I will try your recipe to make it for my kids. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Kathy — June 16, 2016 at 3:26 am

This cake recipe looks very sweet and delicous. I will try it soon. Thank for share this great post.

Luis Sanborn — March 14, 2017 at 4:21 am

This looks amazing, I will try this out tomorrow, thank you for sharing!