Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)

I recently joined yet another blogging group. The Barefoot Bloggers make only recipes from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). While I don’t have any of her cookbooks, I do enjoy watching her on the Food Network. Each month, 2 members get to choose a Barefoot Contessa recipe. Then we all post then on the same day (every other Thursday). So keep an eye out for my BB posts and also check out the blogroll to see everyone else’s posts.

The first BB recipe that I got to make as a Barefoot Blogger is the Smoked Salmon Spread (thanks Ashley for picking this great recipe!) I wanted to spruce it up, so I decided to stuff it into some tomatoes. The dip was very tasty and adding tomatoes into the mix added a freshness. I used a tip I read online somewhere to serve them on a bed of salt. The salt helps to prevent the tomatoes from rolling around.

Smoked Salmon Spread – from Barefoot Contessa Family Style, pg 35
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt - I omitted
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.

To stuff tomatoes: I bought Campari tomatoes (they’re a little bigger than a golf ball). I cut a hole in the top then I used the end of a spoon to scoop out the insides including the seeds. I then rinsed in cool water and placed upside down on a paper towel to drain. I put the spread into a plastic bag and cut off the corner so I could pipe a little bit into each tomato. I garnished with fresh dill.

9 Responses to “Tomatoes stuffed with Salmon Dill Dip (Barefoot Bloggers)”

webbie — July 24, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Welcome to the BBs. I did cucumber towers with mine the first time I made this, then stuffed cherry tomatoes and new potatoes for a work event today.

Your pics are great. Wish I’d thought of the salt.:-)

Sophie — July 24, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Hi Jen,

I just discovered your blog :). I’m Sophie from Flour Arrangements. In just about a week I’ll be moving to Boston (actually Cambridge) from Austin, and I’m hoping to start a cooking group when I get there. I actually TRY to cook dairy free too (although sometimes I need a little dairy in there, ya know?); so it’d be cool to have a fellow ‘somewhat non-dairy’ foodie in the group! Drop me a comment on my blog, or even an email, if you’re interested. It’s nice meeting you!

Oh, and feel free to tell any of your friends about it :).

Sophie
    Flour Arrangements

Ivy — July 24, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Wow, these look really good and refreshing! NIICE!

Joelen — July 24, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Your idea of stuffing them into tomatoes is great! And great tip on using salt!

Esi — July 24, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I love how you presented the dip. Nice work!

Inna's Culinary Inventions — July 25, 2008 at 2:52 am

What a wonderful idea to stuff tomatoes! These look great!

giz — July 25, 2008 at 8:19 pm

These would be fun to make. I’ll bet the hardest part was scooping out the tomatoes. They make for a delicious and colourful appetizer.

Megan — July 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

excellent use of a dip! Love the salt idea.

Janna — July 31, 2008 at 5:10 pm

THIS LOOKS MARVELOUS! I need to start back again with BB now that we are settled in the new digs.